Are Skill/Stat Toggles/Locks T2A Accurate?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ulor

Re: Are Skill/Stat Toggles/Locks T2A Accurate?

Post by Ulor »

Ulor wrote:
Eastwood wrote:The skill and stat lock buttons were still on the gumps but the actual function was disabled. We could do whatever we wanted with the arrows, but stats and skills were not locked on that server and a custom system message would remind of us that every time we used the locks.

I was using the UOSA client on this server as well.
Hey, look at that, a simple workaround to achieve era accuracy. I like the system message idea as a solution to any button-induced confusion. Sounds pretty intuitive and easy to implement.
No need for a custom client if the buttons are disabled for accuracy.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Ulor's not paying attention. Just give up, he'll never read what you write.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Ulor's not paying attention. Just give up, he'll never read what you write.
I read everything you wrote Panthor. :roll: Happy?

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

If you read any of the replies to you, you would know this was previously brought up. At that time the option you were proposing was already on the table. If you're going to continue arguing for this change, come up with a good reason instead of saying the exact same thing over and over.

Disabling the locks while they remain on the client side was already dismissed by Derrick, you aren't offering some novel solution - just the same old crap. Also, as I previously explained we do not have faction silver here. Silver is for a UOSA unique reward system. Listing silver as a UO:R addition and suggesting ethereal mounts should be added as a result makes it hard to take you seriously.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Panthor the Hated wrote:If you read any of the replies to you, you would know this was previously brought up. At that time the option you were proposing was already on the table. If you're going to continue arguing for this change, come up with a good reason instead of saying the exact same thing over and over.

Disabling the locks while they remain on the client side was already dismissed by Derrick, you aren't offering some novel solution - just the same old crap. Also, as I previously explained we do not have faction silver here. Silver is for a UOSA unique reward system. Listing silver as a UO:R addition and suggesting ethereal mounts should be added as a result makes it hard to take you seriously.
This forum is titled "Suggestions and Era Accuracy"

Era Accuracy: Good reason: Stat locks are not era-accurate.

Suggestion:
Eastwood wrote:The skill and stat lock buttons were still on the gumps but the actual function was disabled. We could do whatever we wanted with the arrows, but stats and skills were not locked on that server and a custom system message would remind of us that every time we used the locks.
Is there another thread where someone suggested what Eastwood mentioned (disabling stat lock function and provide a custom system message in case someone was confused as to why they would not work)?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Learning by watching is outside the target time-frame.

Stat locks are, and personally I think we should have non functioning locks. A pre-t2a shard I played many years ago simply made the in-game client graphic locked by default, and would give you a message if you tried to unlock it - "skill locks are not functional on this shard".
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote:Learning by watching is outside the target time-frame.

Stat locks are, and personally I think we should have non functioning locks. A pre-t2a shard I played many years ago simply made the in-game client graphic locked by default, and would give you a message if you tried to unlock it - "skill locks are not functional on this shard".
It wasn't the shard, then, it was the client. I.E. the file on your computer's hard drive.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:
nightshark wrote:Learning by watching is outside the target time-frame.

It wasn't the shard, then, it was the client. I.E. the file on your computer's hard drive.
No, actually, you're wrong.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:roll:
it keeps going and going and going....
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

Ulor,

Repeating an argument and trying to goad the staff isn't exactly the best way to go about approaching a subject. You'll make some remark about how you're not goading the staff, I'll quote your previous posts proving that you are, you'll say something stupid and maybe make an ad hom remark, I'll point it out then insult you for displaying your lack of reasoning skills and blatant stupidity. Let's just skip all that and go with the short and sweet version.

Argument: Stat Locks are NEA(Not Era Accurate).

Result: Staff says they're staying.

Conclusion: They're staying unless Derrick decides to remove them.

End.

mdubb

Post by mdubb »

My apologies in advance to the people who fail a PK attempt by 1hp, or die because the person they fought had 1 extra mana, or swung 1 frame faster then they really should have, due to this game breaking trammie garbage feature. </sarcasm>

Anyway, in all seriousness, this wasn't era accurate, but was heavily requested by all players since the game was released. It might even be the most requested feature of the 97-01 era. Shouldn't we be happy that we can take advantage of it while playing the game the way it was originally intended?

Two guesses I will make about the majority of people who want this feature gone:

1) They already took advantage of it, and want to screw everyone else.

2) They aren't whining about the lack of UA macroing bans, house placement tools, power hour, and other things that were "Era Accurate", but don't suit their desired gameplay.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Whatever guys. I like you anyway. I am just for as accurate a shard as we can get, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y&feature=fvsr

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody! :)

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I'm honestly just going to copy/paste my post from last night, because you boneheads kept arguing past it. If you read it, you probably could have saved yourselves some time and effort
Hey guys, back on topic.

During T2A, you could essentially "lock your stats" by locking all your skills. You couldn't gain stats without gaining skill (hence why we all sat around ping-ponging our stats). The only people who would be affected by this are non-finished characters (people who are still actively raising skills would get stat gains from the skills they are using)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

mdubb

Post by mdubb »

Yeah, but if you need to train skills, having them locked doesn't work very well.

No one is arguing your point, or at least I'm not. Anyone who seesawed stats back on OSI knows how it works. Simple fact is that now the client makes it unnecessary to do that once you've reached your goal. Removing the feature might be era accurate, but since it's client side, it would be a PITA for Derrick. Even if he wanted to change it, it's low priority because it has no affect on gameplay, aside from saving people who aren't 7x GM a few minutes here and there they would otherwise use rebalancing their stats. I'd much rather see him devote his time to other issues, like correcting skill use tables, weapon damage ranges, monster stats, etc.