Known griefers on Second Age?

Share stories and special moments with the community.
Loathed

Re: Known griefers on Second Age?

Post by Loathed »

Foxhound3857 wrote:You make it sound as if whatever bad fortune befalls you in Ultima is fair game and you just have to live with it. Most MMO players of this day and age would throw a fit if this is the kind of game they had to play. Their hair would explode.

prolly the reason i'm bald! YOU TOOK MY RUNEBOOK OMGZ THAT TOOK TEN MINUTES TO GET!!!!!!!

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Foxhound3857 wrote:You make it sound as if whatever bad fortune befalls you in Ultima is fair game and you just have to live with it. Most MMO players of this day and age would throw a fit if this is the kind of game they had to play. Their hair would explode.
They shouldn't leave Trammel then.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I don't think that you guys understand the difference between grief and play.

As a general rule, if your opponent walks away with ANY of your things, you were NOT griefed.

If your opponent walks away with nothing, but you provoked the offense, you were NOT griefed.

If you suffered any type of loss, which would hinder your future play, this includes house-killing reds in statloss, and the slaying of your pets, you were NOT griefed.

Stealing is not griefing, house looting is not griefing, gating to banks and killing people that walk in is NOT griefing. Most of these situations you can avoid entirely anyway.

A "griefer" has nothing to gain. He might follow you around spouting racial obscenities while trying to block your newly ressed self with wall of stone. He PK's your bank macroer even though you were clearly restocking from the bank and had nothing to lose. He deadly poisons newbies at the Sweet Dreams Inn for fun, and Flamestrikes your pack horse in Delucia, even though there is no chance of looting the corpse in the guardzone.

Someone griefing you is hindering your playing experience, unprovoked, for absolutely no gain, and is unavoidable by you. If you can leave the situation, but remain and cry grief, you are only griefing yourself.

If stealing, looting, and killing are that frustrating to you, then you have no business playing on the Felucca facet of the shard. Maybe you should try the hourly events like Sandro instead.
I agree with all of this (except the "hinder future play", which is kind of a gray area, because killing restocking macroers, or Wall-of-Stoning newbies trying to get to a healer, technically falls under that category). Great summary.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

And yet, there are literally thousands of people flocking to this dinosaur of a game with crappy sound and graphics, solely because it allows them to play under the ruleset which allows this.

The fact that most MMO players would throw a fit is exactly why most of us are here. Excitement is a good thing. Vigilance is a good thing. And gaining revenge on the guy who killed your newbie character, once you're strong enough to fight him back, is quite enjoyable and satisfying (as is breaking into his house and or stealing his +25 vanq scimitar).

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Mikel123 wrote:Vigilance is a good thing. And gaining revenge on the guy who killed your newbie character, once you're strong enough to fight him back, is quite enjoyable and satisfying (as is breaking into his house and or stealing his +25 vanq scimitar).
5k for that scmitar!!

Oh, nvm.

...and I agree, Vigilance is a good thing!!
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

That one guy must be mighty pissed that I got his +25 Silver/Vanq Katana then.

Paradox
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Paradox »

Matron... Well put...

You can put me down as a greifer ;)
Thebreadman: i once failed to kill myself... that was until i realised i was already dead

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

Foxhound3857 wrote:That one guy must be mighty pissed that I got his +25 Silver/Vanq Katana then.
You've prolly only seen screen shots of a +25 Silver/Vang Katana- I imagine even that SS was blurry.

-scratch that, magic weapons became way more common w/ UO:R and later releases yea? (trammel)

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Loathed wrote:
Foxhound3857 wrote:That one guy must be mighty pissed that I got his +25 Silver/Vanq Katana then.
You've prolly only seen screen shots of a +25 Silver/Vang Katana- I imagine even that SS was blurry.

-scratch that, magic weapons became way more common w/ UO:R and later releases yea? (trammel)
Heh, probably. I only came across and got to loot one rotting house, and it didn't have much.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

What can I say..

[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

nightshark wrote:"Jaguar" is a known griefer. He spends months building up your trust in game and then, WHAM, he starts dishing out murder counts to your character. Don't be fooled.
owned

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

That Definition of Grief by MatronDeWinter was almost poetic. Should put it in a book and give to a scribe in game if that works here.
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous