Line of Sight Problems /Monsters attack thru floor and wall

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Line of Sight Problems /Monsters attack thru floor and wall

Post by dren »

Since the line of sight patch I've been getting attacked by monsters through the floor and the wall. I *think* that this isn't era accurate and there is *possibly* something wrong with the line of sight on this server in general. I'd like everyone else to add any problems they have with line of sight here.

*edits for clarity, truth, and politeness
Last edited by dren on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Ripplinger

Re: Line of Sight Problems /Monsters attack thru floor and w

Post by Ripplinger »

I also posted the same thing in the most recent patch thread, that it's still happening as well in Fire Dungeon. Now it seems though that my dragon can also poison the mages at least through the floors and walls, they never did that before, so it's a bit more evened out at least I guess after the latest update, but definitely not as it should be.

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

This also happened to me recently at the Fire Temple. Tamed a dragon (it was standing in southeast corner) and a daemon on top of the temple casted a few spells on it. I don't think the dragon casted back on the daemon, but I could be wrong

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

I can't hunt inside the ophidian temple anymore because of this, unless I make all of the monsters go downstairs

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm not currently able to reproduce this. Neither, at Ophidian Lair, Fire-Temple, or Fire Dungeon. I understand that LOS has had some issues, and we've been working on correcting them; the LOS changes were a pretty serious change. What we had we knew was not correct and although stable and working, we've known for a long time that this would need to be addressed at some point.

Currently the only known verifiable issues with LOS is that trees (and other similar objects) are blocking line of sight, this should be addressed tomorrow morning.

I appreciate the thread, and will look into any issue reported in here.

Thanks!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I went back to Fire Dungeon today but without any dragons or wyrms, and the mages were not casting on me through the floors or walls.

Perhaps it's something about the larger pet sizes, so that the dragons are actually poking through floors and walls which is why the mages are poisoning and nuking them? It definitely still happens every time when I bring a dragon or wyrm there, but they are no longer able to cast on me since the last fix.

Edit: Also, some of the bigger mounds of earth, such as at the Oasis, still lets monsters cast through it to get to nuke you, even though you have no LOS to cast on them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the update. There are some additional changes going in tommorrow that should resove most of the final issues with LOS.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I just logged in and took a dragon to Fire Dungeon, and I got poisoned by a mage through the walls.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ripplinger wrote:I just logged in and took a dragon to Fire Dungeon, and I got poisoned by a mage through the walls.
Can you do a -where and send me the specific lataion where this happened?

fdtreece
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fdtreece »

I also had this happen to me in the Yew Crypts under the North Lich room. As soon as I turned the corner and approached the room with the stairs going up to the Lich room, I got poisoned and he continued to cast on me until I backed off around the corner. If it happens again I'll post the exact co-ordinates. Hope this helps!

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

The location was 5646, 1443, 0, on the lower level of the mage tower near the foot of the stairs. The mages were in the room north of me where all the chests are.

The other spot with the now invisible hill is at Oasis... this screenshot shows where you shouldn't have LOS, yet you get nuked there, and you can cast on everything on the other side such as where the gazer is. You also have LOS to tame there. I don't believe that was ever the case in T2A or any era.
Attachments
OasisHills.jpg
OasisHills.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Um, obviously it can see through the hill, it's a Gazer. It's a BIG GIANT EYE. It sees things you can't even comprehend.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ripplinger wrote:The location was 5646, 1443, 0, on the lower level of the mage tower near the foot of the stairs. The mages were in the room north of me where all the chests are.

The other spot with the now invisible hill is at Oasis... this screenshot shows where you shouldn't have LOS, yet you get nuked there, and you can cast on everything on the other side such as where the gazer is. You also have LOS to tame there. I don't believe that was ever the case in T2A or any era.
Interesting spot in Oasis, thanks. The land tiles here are not flagged to block sight. Not sure why. It would be interesting to verify this on EA.

In fire, I can't currently reproduce this LOS. I think there is a possibility that prior to this mornings patch that the mage on the floor above may have been able to cast down on you, but that does not appear to be the case now :/

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

When I went this last time to get the location, nothing cast on me either through the floors or walls the last trip, so maybe you're right about it fixed now. I'll keep watching it though and report back if it happens again.

And at Oasis, I don't see why the hill there would be any different than the same types of hills all over the rest of T2A lands. Outside of the Oasis, if you stand behind a hill, you and the monsters do not have LOS to do anything. Before the start of the recent LOS changes, it always blocked LOS as it should.

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Hello again, I know there were some line of sight problems fixed (or pending being fixed) that weren't era accurate.Thanks again derrick and the rest of staff for all your hard work.

However I want to play a bit of devils advocate and open this conversation up some.... Does anyone have any additional points of view? It is possible that Derrick has fixed all the problems, and the remaining "problems" now are currently accurate. Does anyone remember getting attacked through the floors and walls in the T2A era?
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.