Era Accuracy - Lag is Missing

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Yew

Era Accuracy - Lag is Missing

Post by Yew »

I remember when I played T2A originally I played using a 14k dial up modem, as did many others. Please reinstate the players running around frozen in position for several seconds at a time... oh, and link deaths... I miss those.

Forget the housing issues, the pk issues, ghosting, blahzay-blah....

Give me some lag!

...although seriously, I think the team running this shard does an amazing job... there are players that are helpful, and players that are irritating- just like I remember in 1999.

Thanks for all your hard work.

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Era Accuracy - Lag is Missing

Post by xevec »

You can go back to dial up. Oh and play on a Win 95 or 98 machine with like 32 Megs of ram. That might fix your problems :)

Yew

Post by Yew »

95 or 98? Too fancy... I like 3.1, and that even comes with it's own key recorder... who needs Razer...

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

I had a 52k hardware modem, so I was pretty fast, and an overclocked 800 MHz T-bird. I think I started on a Pentium 233 MHz box, and that had a crappy software modem. I used that box and Netzero to dual client once I upgraded.

EZ Macros ftw.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

i played on a pentium 166 and 56k until about a year after UO:R. there wasn't anyone on oceania i couldn't fight with that bad boy set up.

during 1999 my lag was godawful though, shitty new zealand internet is always 5 years behind.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Drunk Monk

Post by Drunk Monk »

I don't think I can minimize and "right click refresh, right click refresh, right click refresh" as fast as I could back then. Man the lag and connection lost msg's used to make me so mad.
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pike

SkunkDave

Post by SkunkDave »

Hilarious post. When cable internet started becoming available they would outrun me... myself mounted and them on foot.

I think I had a Pentium 122 with a 40mb hard drive? o.O

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

SkunkDave wrote:Hilarious post. When cable internet started becoming available they would outrun me... myself mounted and them on foot.

I think I had a Pentium 122 with a 40mb hard drive? o.O
Considering UO takes a few hundred megs I doubt your HDD was that small :P
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Yew

Post by Yew »

Here's the extremely high-end requirements to run Ultima Online (original release):

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM
Pentium 133MHz
16MB RAM
261MB Uncompressed Hard Drive Space
Slip/PPP or Direct Connect at 28.8Kbps With 32-bit TCP/IP Stack
1MB PCI Video Card, 16-bit Direct X Supported
4X CD-ROM Drive
16-bit Sound Card
DirectX
Microsoft Compatible Mouse
RECOMMENDED
Pentium 166MHz
32MB RAM
550MB Uncompressed Hard Drive Space
2MB PCI Video Card
8X CD-ROM Drive

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

i sported a dell 333mhz with a 1.2gb hd.. we threw in a 2.1gb for around like $200-300 at the time. I think i was blasting a crazy 64mb of ram. the vid card was a nvidia ti4600 i think

Brules

Post by Brules »

I started playing it on a Pentium 133 with 28.8 modem, rapidly upgraded to 36k then 56k......Next upgrade was a PII 450 Slocket with the 56k then finally got DSL at some point. Man....things have changed.

Looked something like this: