Wrestling/tactics/swords... 1000 aids later and +2.0

Topics related to Second Age
KleinSSJ

Wrestling/tactics/swords... 1000 aids later and +2.0

Post by KleinSSJ »

I have a dexer with 90 swords/tactics, tabbed out, getting hit by my mage with 100 dex, 25 swords, and 37 wresting.

I have gone through almost 1000 bandaids and bout 3 hours healing the dexer. I have gained 3 points in tactics and 2.3 in swords using a butcher knife. Same deal more or less if I switch to wrestling.

I am definitely hitting quiet a bit... whats the deal?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Wrestling/tactics/swords... 1000 aids later and +2.0

Post by Rammar »

Hire a fighter/paladin/mage. Gains player vs player suck -- a lot.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

Gaining off players is extremely hard the higher your skill is. Switch to hitting a creature or hireling (paladin or fighter)
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

lily_lily_stay

Post by lily_lily_stay »

Hire a fighter in brit tavern by west bank, at jhelom, or wherever! As others have said training on another player is extremely slow. Using NPC is a lot faster.

KleinSSJ

Post by KleinSSJ »

whatapain. thanks.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hitting on other players for skill gain is a free shard phenomenon that never existed on production shards.

KleinSSJ

Post by KleinSSJ »

Faust wrote:Hitting on other players for skill gain is a free shard phenomenon that never existed on production shards.
Yeah i think you're right. Ive played so many t2a shards at this point I dont remember what t2a was actually like.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Faust wrote:Hitting on other players for skill gain is a free shard phenomenon that never existed on production shards.

If only for clarity's sake, I wish to point out that this is not entirely true.

It did not last very long, before OSI "nerfed" PvP skill-gain, but very shortly after the introduction of the Guild system, guildies could spar for decent gains: you could even do this to raise archery, with a bow equipped and no arrows in inventory; however, it required both toons to possess comparable skill-values, if one expected optimal gains.

How exactly this fell-in with the launch of the t2A expansion, I simply forget: but to argue that "this did not exist on OSI" is, at best, a hairs-splitting style of argument; "it" was not possible at all during UOSA's target-era, true.

Just a little FYI.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I agree with SS, I remember GMing my fighting skills sparring guildies. I was dumbfounded when I got here and organized melee sessions only to find out gains were nerfed.

I must say I only GMed two chars in era, so maybe I was just lucky I did it in that particular window of time and never payed much attention if it worked later or not.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Zong

Post by Zong »

The first skilled i gmed on OSI was tactics. This was off a non guild mate who had gm tactics himself. This was during the trinsic invasion.

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Arkon »

I remember my first time GM'ing swords/tactics (my first 2 GM skills ever) very clearly. Made friends with a blacksmith on my miner and worked out a deal with him: I supply him with ingots for a few weeks and he'd give me a small house. His gf/wife/whatever was a tamer and offered to tame me a polar bear and trap them in their large brick for me to beat on. I spent a few days beating on that same bear and finally GM'd both skills.

I think that was when I really fell in love with UO. :P
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."