Exceptional Armor bonuses?

Moderator: Support Moderators

sotrans

Exceptional Armor bonuses?

Post by sotrans »

Does anyone know the bonuses for exceptional quality armor parts? Thanks for any informations.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Exceptional Armor bonuses?

Post by Rammar »

I think its +20%AR and +5-10HP.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I believe it's halfway between "guarding" and "hardening", much like for weapons it's between "might" and "force". Not sure what the HP bonus is.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Mikel123 wrote:I believe it's halfway between "guarding" and "hardening", much like for weapons it's between "might" and "force". Not sure what the HP bonus is.
If +20%AR is correct, then any magic armor with a base of 25AR or lower gives equal or better AR than the exceptional equivalent. Thus, a chain tunic of defense gives slightly more AR (28) than an exceptional chain tunic (27.6), whereas a plate chest of defense gives less AR (35) than its exceptional equivalent (36). Not sure how stuff is rounded.

I think the only armors of defense that give less AR than their exceptional equivalents are all the plate pieces, helmet, and norse/close helms. All guarding items have more AR than their exceptional equivalents.

If +5-10HP is also correct, then any substantial+ armor piece will have equal or better HP than its exceptional equivalent.

I'm fairly sure about the AR bonus, not so sure about what HP bonuses we use here (random +5-10, always +10, or what). These are the values I got off stratics a while back, and Derrick confirmed the +20%AR in a post from 2008.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Assuming era-accuracy, exceptional armors should provide a flat AR bonus of +6 (ex. Plate AR36, ex. Chain AR29, ex. Ring AR26, ex. Studded AR22, ex. Leather AR19); this applies to the protection offered to the covered body-part, and the adjustment to overall AR will reflect this.

http://web.archive.org/web/199910020540 ... ksmith.htm

Note: wearing a full suit of exceptional leather, one has a displayed, overall AR of only 18 (not 19; note that AR18 is far much more than +20%); I expect this is a very-small error, due to truncation of contributing values.

SS

EDIT: I have mis-spoken myself here; instead of truncation, I mean rounding-off before they are summed, instead of after.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

SS, close. According to my math, if Guarding adds 4.4 AR and Hardening adds 6.6, then GM/exceptional should add 5.5 AR. This is "true" AR, not displayed, so the actual gain in damage absorption should be between 2.75 and 5.5 damage (assuming that piece of armor is in the location in which the hit was).

http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/enchant.html

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Note: wearing a full suit of exceptional leather, one has a displayed, overall AR of only 18 (not 19; note that AR18 is far much more than +20%); I expect this is a very-small error, due to truncation of contributing values.
A full suit of vendor bought leather is 13AR.
A full suit of defense leather is 18AR (13 + 5).

A full suit of exceptional leather is 16AR.
13 x 1.2 (+20%) = 15.6 (it is rounded to 16 for display)

Where did you get 18AR?

SighelmofWyrmgard

Rammar: I, erm, got 18AR by donning a full suit of exceptional leather armor, and taking a look at the character's "display AR"; I did that in-game while composing my post. If you're buying "exceptional" leather with an AR of 16, you're getting hosed. (Were you, erm, wearing an exceptional leather cap ... :roll:?)

Mikel123: ok, you may be agreeing with me without realizing it; the numbers you are giving are the display-values for torso armor; Guarding provides a +10AR bonus and, since the torso takes the hit 44% of the time, this results in a +4.4 addition to display AR; for the torso, Defense will add 2.2 (44% of +5), Hardening 6.6 (44% of +15), and so on, but these are all "display AR" values, not measures of the actual protection provided to the covered body part.

If a character wearing an exceptional plate gorget (AR36) takes a weapon hit to the throat, the armor will absorb 18-36 points of "final" base damage (50-100%); at the very end of the damage calculation, however, "all remaining damage is halved" to determine final damage applied so, in actuality, that armor has really only absorbed 9-18 points of "real" damage.

Check it out:

http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/combat.html

and refer back to your own source; pay attention to the explanation for all the different AR values that appear between the slashes.

This diversion of conversation has perhaps solved a puzzle for me: since I joined UOSA, I have felt that armor gets beat up too quickly; now I am wondering if that might be because the damage absorbed by armor is not getting halved, like it should be ...

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Rammar: I, erm, got 18AR by donning a full suit of exceptional leather armor, and taking a look at the character's "display AR"; I did that in-game while composing my post. If you're buying "exceptional" leather with an AR of 16, you're getting hosed. (Were you, erm, wearing an exceptional leather cap ... :roll:?)
I have a GM tailor, and just made a fresh suit of marked leather to confirm it is, indeed, 16AR with cap. Evidently yours is not all exceptional. :roll:

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

It's 16AR with cap (not wearing anything under this)

http://i.imgur.com/LOf3o.jpg
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

SighelmofWyrmgard

I apologise, Rammar: I got my suits mixed-up when I put them on to check; I checked again, and can confirm that exceptional leather is indeed AR16, which also accords with your +20% calculation.

I can't find the source from which I "learned" that exceptional AR is a flat +6; in any event, that source would be in error (I don't recall AR18-exceptional-leather from the good ol' days; we never even had leather caps at all, for the longest time).

I apologise again for imparting disinformation; with Rammar's numbers confirmed, we can thus place exceptional armors at: leather, AR16; studded, AR19; ringmail, AR24; chainmail, AR27; plate, AR36; "Defense" armor is thus superior to exceptional armor for all armors except plate, although the advantage of "defense" chain, as well as exceptional plate, is so miniscule as to have no bearing. The more I think about it, the more these last numbers seem to ring true with my recollections in-era.

Again, I apologise, standing corrected, and enlightened.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Return to “New Player Help”