Damage Calculators of weps

Moderator: Support Moderators

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Damage Calculators of weps

Post by wgensel »

Does anyone know if any good wep damage calculators exist? I'm asking because there seems to be a lot of calculation involved with weapons since it's based on dice rolls. I wasn't aware of that until recently.

Basically I'm wondering if there is a DOT calculator for UO weps based on the dice rolls of weapons and assuming a 50% fail rate. I'm guessing the best way to compare is in game, but I was just wondering if I could get some hard numbers without crunching them myself.

Dagon

Re: Damage Calculators of weps

Post by Dagon »

i think stratics has a damage calculator.

the current one (if any) probably isnt accurate, and the archived one may not work (have not tested it).

but i believe there is also a basic chart of damage values somewhere..

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I have all of this in excel.

- Average damage is always (max + min)/2. Don't worry about the dice... since any number on the dice is equally likely to come up, it's just as likely to be a high roll as a low roll, and thus the average is truly the average. Weapons that use multiple dice (I think the heavy xbow uses 5 dice) will be more "consistent", while weapons using only one die will be more prone to variance. But the average is always (max+min/)2
- Delay between swings is calculated as

Code: Select all

=MAX((ROUNDDOWN(60000/((stam+100)*C2),0))*0.25)
where C2 is the cell in which you have the weapon speed and "stam" is your current stamina
- Swings per minute is 60 divided by the delay between swings
- Divide by 2 for the 50/50 chance of a hit landing
- Take that number and multiply by avg damage.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Also, with regards to dice rolls... there is some impact of the actual dice rolls if your opponent is wearing armor. Search my posts for more info on this, I know I posted about it in the past. Long story short, if you have two weapons which both have the same min and max damage, but one is more "consistent" in it's damage output... i.e. it tends to put out damages very close to it's average... while the other is much more random... you will be better off with the more random weapon against an armored opponent who has enough armor to fully absorb some of the low-end hits.

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

Thanks for all the info. I'm really surprised that you're better off with the more random weapon (e.g. kat vs kryss). Do you, for example, know how low a hit would have to be to be absorbed by armor? I'll have to check your posts tomorrow, it's bed time in Korea!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kryss: avg damage 15.5; 3 to 28 range
Katana: avg damage 15.5; 5 to 26 range

Imagine your opponent has armor that blocks 5 damage per hit.

The katana has an effective damage range of -2 to 23. However, you can't hit for -2, you hit for 0. So it's effective range is 0 to 23.
The kryss has an effective range of 0 to 21.

Assuming each damage roll happened once, you'd see:

Code: Select all

Kryss	Katana
0	0
1	1
2	2
3	3
4	4
5	5
6	6
7	7
8	8
9	9
10	10
11	11
12	12
13	13
14	14
15	15
16	16
17	17
18	18
19	19
20	20
21	21
The kryss has an average of 10.62 damage going through, while the katana has an average of 10.5. Of course, that's a small difference, but it's a difference.

You can also think about it like this... imagine your opponent has armor that blocks 26 damage per hit. The katana will never ever be able to punch through damage, but occasionally the kryss can punch through for 1 or 2.

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

But what armor blocks 26 damage per hit?

Also, with the 5 damage one I didn't really understand the -2 part. If kat's min damage is 5 then it's lowest roll would do 0 damage, and all others would do positive damage.

Also, I do think it's important to consider dice rolls. Yes, dexxer fights usually go on for a while, but the kat has only a 0.2 percent change of swinging and causing 5 damage or less (before armor absorb).

The kryss, however, has a 15.4% chance of causing 5 damage of less. That means 15% of your swings are wasted based on this armor absorption estimate.

Also think about that the 15.4% for the kryss are all equally probably dice rolls since it's only one die. It's just as probable to go into a fight with deal 3, 4, 5 damage in a row as it is to deal 26, 27, 28 in a row. Kryss is a really luck based weapon compared to some others.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

So, in conlusion, Kryss overrated?

How about Kat vs. Broadswd vs. Cutlass?
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

I wouldn't go far to say Kryss is overrated. In a longer battle the damage will even out overtime vs other weapons, but personally I would take macing vs other dexxers for the armor damage. However, if you get lucky you can really f--- your opponent up. I am pretty sure these weps are before damage or tactic modifiers too, so if you are using vanq and +something you have better odds of pulling of a 3 hit kill than you would with a kat, but you also have a very good chance of doing negligible damage. Personally I like fencing vs mages and macing vs dexxers and I think a lot of people would agree with that.

Besides katana being slightly faster, it does more consistent damage with 3d8+2. Broadsword and cutlass are extremely close.

Katana -- http://anydice.com/program/2ff
Cutlass -- http://anydice.com/program/300
Broadsword -- http://anydice.com/program/301

Looks like the cutlass is just slightly more consistent based on less variance in the dice and a higher c added, but it's really close.

As for DOT based on averages, use Mikel123's formula. I need to put that together, I hate excel :evil:

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

For a nice consistent weapon check out the q-staff yeh baby!

q-staff -- http://anydice.com/program/302
war axe -- http://anydice.com/program/303

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes, I've heard q-stalves are the standard for consistency, and a pretty good dexxer wep.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Ack... guys, you missed the point.

First off... as I tried to explain. INconsistency is best, given two weapons with the same average damage.

Second... magical armor can block more than 26 damage. Somewhere in these forums there is a video of me fighting an ancient wyrm, standing adjacent to it the whole time. Likewise with a Balron. With enough armor, you shrug off the hits of even those guys.

Third... in the longer battle, damage will NOT even out over time. In the kryss vs katana comparison, it will continue to favor the kryss.

Fourth... as I tried to mention... while you want an inconsistent weapon (again, given the same avg damage), it's really small potatoes in the scheme of things. I like to think of it as a tiebreaker.

As for DOT for the sword weapons, the more armor your opponent (player or monster) has, the better off you are with a stronger, slower weapon. It's sad to say, but if you're going to to toe with a Daemon for example, you're better off sitting there swinging a halberd than you are a katana or anything else.

Qstaffs are "consistent" largely because they're fast, too, so you get more swings over the same period of time, and a bigger "sample" of your swings.

Lastly... another point in favor of inconsistent damages is that it's hard to kill knowledgeable people in this game. So, inconsistent damage will be more prone to your bad luck, where no one dies, as well as good luck, when you have a couple high rolls in a row and do a little more damage than an opponent expected.

Return to “New Player Help”