Downgrading map with latest client installation

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Downgrading map with latest client installation

Post by nightshark »

I want to patch up to the latest UO client, but I know it causes issues with the map. I'm sure I read something somewhere about how to do this, but couldn't find it.

Which files do I need to back up (and overwrite) for the map, and is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Dagon

Re: Downgrading map with latest client installation

Post by Dagon »

I'm just wondering........ why? Newer client isn't going to be any different than current client.

During some QUICK testing, changing the maps for the highest 6.x client was easy, 7.x became more difficult and without any additional file manipulation than I had done I wasn't able to get past some error messages, but I didn't try to get past them either.

I don't know if this question has ever been addressed and answered, maybe Derrick can chime in.. (Derrick) why don't you use the latest UO maps for the server and change the client compatibility all the way up to the newest client?
Last edited by Dagon on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I want to have functionality across multiple shards... is there a way I could just install multiple copies of UO?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Ah. Well yes.. you can just install it to a different directory (which I think it does anyways, they started using program files\ea games\). AFAIK the newer client (the newer installation actually) uses different registry keys also... so the only real issue you'd have is with Razor automatically choosing which client it wants to used based on those registry keys.

But the same thing would apply to the other shard also, if they are using 7.x maps and you have the 7.x client but our 5.x maps, you will have issues on that server where the map is different. You'd have to constantly switch files each time you played on this server/that server.

So in that case, it's probably better to have two separate installations.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

The other server uses a different map altogether, and from my experience in the past with custom maps, razor seems to patch the map in temporarily (allowing you to play across multiple shards). That might have been a UOGateway function.

So, you're saying I can just install 2 copies of UO to 2 different directories, and manually choose which client to use with the "browse" button (auto detect unchecked)?

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Yeah that was the ConnectUO thing that organizes maps for each server.. Razor doesn't do anything except look in the registry for the client to load when it's set to automatically detect.. and I think it uses the newer registry keys first (before our registry keys).

But yes, two separate copies in two locations. Then just select which client/data directory to use in Razor.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Great, thanks, solves my problems - cheers!