Targetting lifebars

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Targetting lifebars

Post by Derrick »

The results are in and they are interesting.

Here's the packet seqence, from a razor packet log:

Code: Select all

17:23:56.903: Server -> Client PacketID:0x6C
 CancelTarget / TargetReq

17:23:57.287: Client -> Server PacketID:0x6C
 TargetResponse type:1 targetID:937057 flags:1 serial:0x00000000 location:(1318, 981, 3) graphic:489

17:23:57.375: Server -> Client PacketID:0x1C
 AsciiMessage ItemID:0xFFFFFFFF model:-1 type:0 txtcolor:946 font:3 name:System message:Target cannot be seen.
and again, same targeted item:

Code: Select all

17:23:59.831: Client -> Server PacketID:0x6C
 TargetResponse type:1 targetID:937128 flags:1 serial:0x00000000 location:(1318, 981, 3) graphic:489

17:23:59.934: Server -> Client PacketID:0x1C
 AsciiMessage ItemID:0xFFFFFFFF model:-1 type:0 txtcolor:946 font:3 name:System message:Target cannot be seen.

17:24:00.679: Server -> Client PacketID:0xA2
 MobileMana / MobileManaN

17:24:00.979: Razor -> Client PacketID:0x1C
Here is the item that was targeted:
mistarget.jpg
mistarget.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
The bottom of the back east wall of the keep.

It's believed that the lifebar was hovering over the location of this corner, and that the client essentially treated the lifebar as it is was not there.

Maybe a little more delay over the lifebar will over come this issue. It's also possible that the "Run mouse in a separate thread" option may fix or cause this problem.

This is definitely a client error in this case though, the client is telling the server that you targeted the building. This is an example of a mistarget in which mana would be lost if the item had been in line of sight.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

This would explain why I never get this, I always leave life bars in the "black area" outside the play area
Last edited by nightshark on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Derrick stole a brick from my house :(

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Derrick, so you're saying you had the status bar in position over that tile of the building, cast a spell (or whatever) and targeted the bar, but it hit (targeted) the wall instead?

Unless there's some fundamental difference between player and mob stat bars (or type of action you're performing), I just tried to reproduce those findings repeatedly banning a harpy via it's status bar positioned over all kinds of tiles.. and had no problems.

Similarly I cast a few spells on the harpy via it's health bar positioned on screen in various places and had no problems, still.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Dagon wrote:Unless there's some fundamental difference between player and mob stat bars (or type of action you're performing), I just tried to reproduce those findings repeatedly banning a harpy via it's status bar positioned over all kinds of tiles.. and had no problems.
I don't believe there should be any difference.
I have never experienced this either, i suggested toggling the "run mouse in a separate thread" to see if it made any difference. I run it enabled.

Some players, especially Son have been reporting this trouble for quite a while. Son used to report fizzling of recall and other spells a lot, and this could be related to this same problem. Spells used to play the fizzle sound/animation on a mistarget/bas state, but they do not anymore.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

nightshark wrote:This would explain why I never get this, I always leave life bars in the "black area" outside the play area
Always a good decision.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I also use run mouse in a separate thread. felix supposedly plays on linux, so perhaps however the client utilizes threads is not supported on linux? If that were the problem, and if his is enabled.

But anyways, there's no way to account for any configuration differences between people that have problems and people that don't. Especially with all the combinations of razor settings that could affect things and one person might just be too dense to figure out or accept what the problem might be. target queuing, smart target, etc etc etc, is a whole world of combinations that could be affecting things. Someone thinks they are targetting a lifebar but the spell gets casted somewhere else because of one of these configurations...

It's kind of funny that only a certain few experience any problems and NOBODY else does..

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Dagon wrote:It's kind of funny that only a certain few experience any problems and NOBODY else does..
My leet hax only affect those who have wronged me.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

i have the run mouse in a separate thread option turned on aswell, yet i have experienced this problem quite a few times. i do, however, have a habbit of leaving my lifebars in the playscreen as a opposed to in the black desktop area. next time it happens to me i'll try and make note of the situation. usually i'm too caught up in the moment to notice anything in particular about it, except for the fact that it consumes mana and doesn't target the spell on the lifebar i clicked.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Can someone explain what exactly "run mouse in a separate thread" means? I have it checked by default, but I don't know what it means.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Mikel123 wrote:Can someone explain what exactly "run mouse in a separate thread" means? I have it checked by default, but I don't know what it means.
I'm going to bastardize the term "process" and more here for the sake of understanability, please forgive.

It essentially means that the mouse acts outside of the game process. It's somewhat the same idea of separte programs running at the same time on your PC, threads are much like independant applications, although in most practical use, they communicate with each other within the same application.

The advantage is that the mouse does not have to wait for the game to be responsive, the option likely cuts down on mouse lag when the main process is rendering or etc. However, depending on how it's implemented, it could lead to positioning errors.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I've been running with this option enabled since day 1. Still have the issue.

Aye Marm, never do I have enough time to organize enemy bars.. hell most of the time I have extreme difficulty just pulling it off them as they run around on a horse.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

I just did a 2v2 with Guerilla, put lifebars in the black.

I still got "target cannot be seen" when he was but 3 tiles away, on several occasions.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

true story :/
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit