Is there a place to see what builds are most viable?

Moderator: Support Moderators

amaefm

Is there a place to see what builds are most viable?

Post by amaefm »

Just like the title says I guess, I'm just looking for a place to figure out whats what in this era. I started playing right after SA, and always wished it was the way people told me about before. So what were effective builds in this time? What's a good dexxer, what's a good mage, what do you need to pk or anti-pk? Thanks for any help in advance.

Pirul

Re: Is there a place to see what builds are most viable?

Post by Pirul »

You can start off looking in the Templates section of the wiki.

But basically, for PvP, you have either your cookie cutter Hally Mage (Magery, Meditation, Eval, Resist, Wrestling, Swords and Tactics; 100 STR, 25 DEX, 100 INT); or yor Dexxer (Wep Skill, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist, and another 2 skills of your choosing, most people choose from: Magery, Hiding, Parry, Poisoning).

Also, be sure to check out NEW, a guild for new players starting out in UOSA.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

amaefm

Post by amaefm »

Hey man, thanks for the advice, I guess thats kinda the conclusion I was coming to from what little I could find. I looked at the wiki, i'm not really a big pve guy, so most of those looked a little junky to me. But I'll just try those builds with maybe a tweak or two and see how it works, thanks.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

tank mage or dexxer for pvp.

amaefm

Post by amaefm »

I assume tank mage is Mage/Med/Eval/Wrest/Resist + Swords/Tactics? Why swords? And why is something else inferior to swords/tactics?

What makes a good dexxer in this era? Maces hurt stam, do they still hurt armor durability more than say swords or fencing in this time period? What are the positives negatives of each weapon class. Is parry effective? Is a war axe good? What makes one build better than another in pvp.

I see a lot of discussion saying tank mages own everything, and mage vs dexxer but there just doesn't seem to be any build discussion at all. Were the effective skill sets really that rigid during this era?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

amaefm wrote:I assume tank mage is Mage/Med/Eval/Wrest/Resist + Swords/Tactics? Why swords? And why is something else inferior to swords/tactics?
Swds is the skill of choice to use the Halbred to it's full potential since it is the hardest hitting non-archery wep. Being a tank is about making the highest amount of dmg in the least amount of time, therefore you want high dmg weps. Alternate builds I've seen are maces-tank (using a war hammer) and an archer-tank (with a heavy x-bow). The first, the hammer doesn't hit as hard as the hally, and the second, the x-bow takes too long to set up-fire-do dmg.
amaefm wrote:What makes a good dexxer in this era? Maces hurt stam, do they still hurt armor durability more than say swords or fencing in this time period? What are the positives negatives of each weapon class. Is parry effective? Is a war axe good? What makes one build better than another in pvp.
All builds are different,and difficult to say one is better than another in PvP. Maces do hit stam, they also damage armor faster than other weps. Swds and fencing you can poison. There are people who think parry is not useful, and it will depend a lot of your other skills. If you use macing (for example), most good macing weps are two-handed, thus no need for parry. I use it on my dexxer and love to parry those hally hits from mages for half damage, but it does make some actions a bit more cumbersome (drinking pots, casting spells, etc.). Fencing seems to be the skill of choice among dexxers because of the fast wepons, and ability to poison them.
amaefm wrote:I see a lot of discussion saying tank mages own everything, and mage vs dexxer but there just doesn't seem to be any build discussion at all. Were the effective skill sets really that rigid during this era?
I believe for a hally mage, yes. That was the most viable template. Dexxers can be a bit more flexible.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Return to “New Player Help”