Saving every hour?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Myg

Saving every hour?

Post by Myg »

I have a vague recollection of some sort of issue the atlantic shard had back in the day for a short period of time (for a weekend or so), which caused people to lose an entire day's worth of gameplay. Does anyone recollect this at all?

I am hoping to rally support in hopes we can reduce the number of saves per day as I think it disrupts the flow of gameplay and is totaly undeeded and excessive.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Saving every hour?

Post by BobDobbs »

I am hoping to rally support in hopes we can reduce the number of saves per day as I think it disrupts the flow of gameplay and is totaly undeeded and excessive.
In order to support such an opinion, I would need to know the reason why you feel that its unneeded and excessive.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

it can get annoying, but i'd rather have frequent saves over losing an hours worth of loot if there was a crash.

Downs

Post by Downs »

i could be completely wrong here, but doesnt frequent saves help hone in on what caused the crash?
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Saves do not usually caputre any crash information. It's interesting this came up because I was thinking about it last night.

Usually when we have frequent crashes, it's in the week or so after a major patch, and we can then go for weeks or months without troubles.

It may make sense to have frequent saves, as we do now on Patch Week, but then loosen it up a little bit once we feel we're stable. There is always the chance of some bug crawling out of the woodwork of course though.

Of course, optimally we will hopefully be able to one day do background saves, but that's not going to be anytime in the near future.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."