Re: Windows 7 + XP Mode Issues

jerryrelease
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by jerryrelease »

Hey,

Just a quick heads up to anyone who is playing UOSA in XP-Mode (virtual PC) under Windows 7:

On Fri/Sat I had a big problem with my XP-mode virtual pc running at extremely high CPU with razor/UO client. Resulted in piss poor performance and unplayable frame rates. I uninstalled the client, razor, .NET , all recent Windows updates both on the host Windows 7 and the XP-mode box. Recreated a new XP-mode box and then almost punched my monitors out. Nothing was working.

Good thing is that there is a happy ending. Well not a true happy ending but one that ended up in the game being playable again. I disabled the integrations on the virtual PC settings for the XP-mode box. Basically disabled it from starting up and disabled all of the individual components. Didn't go as far as to troubleshoot exactly what integration was causing the problem - but something that changed on the host that is part of the integration package was futzing things up.

So if you ever run into some strange CPU hogging behaviour on your Windows 7 XP-Mode virtual PC - disable the integrations!

JR

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I suggest trying VMWare Player also, it's free and it can import the XP Mode virtual machine.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I suggest just not doing any of that to begin with... you're just asking for problems. :P