How to get most out of UO and prolong your enjoyment

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Myg

How to get most out of UO and prolong your enjoyment

Post by Myg »

Just a quick set of guidelines which should help with the described title.

1. Dont get involved with politics between guilds/etc and other players. This provides a level of interaction which doesnt translate well into the game and just makes people frustrated and confused. Keep your playing mindset simple and straightforward.

2. Spend more time chatting with others and hanging around town/banks and populated areas.

3. Dont buy a housing place (house/tower/castle) unless you really need it for guildmembers to work out of or for a vendor.

4. Avoid player donated/free housing because although it has good intentions it is a very bad idea because it pushes the newbies out of town and out of populated areas, which disconnects the community.

5. Dont accumulate too much money. Keep it under a certain level of need; ie. If your not in a guild, only have enough for trade/working/etc and a handful of purchases. If you are in a guild, accumulate in surplus what you think your guild might need or use in your time with them.

6. Give away things randomly if you find yourself in a surplus (not directly, but leave them lying around so everyone has a chance to get stuff). If you arn't well off in-game then giving will enhance your experience even more.

7. Do some menial tasks once in a while, like mining or chopping trees to provide a level of contrast between your areas of play.

8. Macro as little as you can. If you dont have time to enjoy the game as much as you'd like, macro when you get a chance but if you have plenty of time to play try to do things the hard way.

9. Go out for walks/light exercise between play times, like before and afterwords. If you do that, you are less disconnected from the game and thus have more of yourself to give the community/game when you play again.

10. If you want to help newbies, dont show them around places that are too far from the town they call "home". Let them "organically" grow out of their towns and localities, they will find such places eventually. Give them basic advice, but not too much advice as well; Let them explore the world themselves and dont ruin it by throwing them into the deep end and seeing all the spots too quickly.

11. Only have one account with one character, if you want to change skills, simply do so on the same character. Having a multitude of characters is not good for the general feel of the shard and its growth.

12. Avoid quick GM guides, getting skills is part of the game experience and it can greatly shorten the lifespan of your enthusiasm for the game if everything comes too easily. Plus it removes the uniqueness of everyone trying their own way and replaces it with a cookie-cutter template (everyone will basically be the same).

13. Use the non-razor client and no auto-map when your not macroing.
Last edited by Myg on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: How to get most out of UO and prolong your enjoyment

Post by Mens Rea »

For Advanced Players -

A) Macro up all the templates for every skill template you will ever need.

B) Use only what you need - horde masses of what you don't need in your biggest house with the most rares.

C) Kill all the newbies.

D) Accumulate as much gold as possible.

E) Spend all gold accumulated in D) on silver - produced by a small few with the best conns.

F) Get all of your friends involved in shard events - this helps by allowing you to place AFK newbies on the other team [so you can sell silver for a large amount of gold].

G) Make sure you refresh your other 14 large/well-positioned houses.

Guide For Losers:

i) Use the word "son".

ii) Use the word "nerd".

iii) Carry out steps A-G above - it progressively produces the desired effect each one you do!

Good luck!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mens Rea wrote:For Advanced Players -

A) Macro up all the templates for every skill template you will ever need.

D) Accumulate as much gold as possible.

E) Spend all gold accumulated in D) on silver - produced by a small few with the best conns.

F) Get all of your friends involved in shard events - this helps by allowing you to place AFK newbies on the other team [so you can sell silver for a large amount of gold].
lol
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

One time I was playin on this shard, I can't really remember what it was called, it was liek, black somthin or other. I started on it the day it started and everyone else was just kinda screwin' around but I was busy macroing up my skills. Then one day I got GM alchemy and learned you could make "skill potions" at GM. Well if you got these skill potions and you just stacked em up on in your pack, then clicked the pile as fast as you could, your skills would go up but the game wouldnt register that you clicked so many and it would only go down so far. So made myself 52x GM. At one time I had 180 magery, I was thought oh shit Im gonna get busted so I was trying to macro my skills down rofl.
Then later, they had these things called "mana crystals" that would refill your mana all the way when you D. clicked it but had a cooldown of about 30 secs or so, they also had a dex crystal that would give you a bunch of dex or w/e, and they were both rediculous expensive.
So I bought 4 of these mana crystals. I would just flamestrike, flamestrike, flamestrike, flamestrike . . . till you were dead cuz by the time I used 3 crystal, the 4th one would be ready and I'd just loop em, It was so rediculous I never ran out of mana, Oh, your attackin me? heal, heal, heal, heal, heal . . . lol. and they had these things called color change deeds I made evrything on me including my horse black, I looked like a ninja or somthing, only thing you could see on my paper doll was my eyes and a little bit of my arms.

best part was, after a while, the GMs were liek, daaaaaaaaamn, those mana storms are just too strong, so they made it where you could only have 1 mana crystal but I was one of about 5 people that had 4 mana crystals. I was pretty much god on that server and it shut down in about 3 months.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Chim

Post by Chim »

1. Wander around the wilderness checking each house for security flaws.

2. Mark runes at houses where you might be able to follow the owner in past his secured tables in his unlocked house. If he uses a trash barrel he will be safe but tables can be bypassed with the right technique.

3. Townkill afk people at the banks with purple pots and a new character being gated in and out by your main.

Ultima is about griefing and buying up all housing around your place so you don't have to see your neighbors.

Return to “Guides”