PvP Inaccuracies

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: PvP Inaccuracies

Post by Faust »

No, Eagle.

Archery in the current system does not allow you to take a ranged shot in the place of a melee swing. The melee timer is slightly different for ranged weapons allowing it to elapse while moving around where melee weapons do not.

The way archery functioned on the test center was exactly the same way it worked in '99. I don't expect much changes happening for ranged weapons with the updated swing timer from the older one that was on test center.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Faust,

Im not saying that you should be able to fire a HXB then switch to a kryss, swing onnce, refresh the kryss, then re arm the hxb and fire another bolt 2 seconds after the first. That, of course, would be insane. What Im saying is that you should be able to open with melee then switch to archery without an equip delay. Currently if you open an attack with melle then arm a bow you wait the full timer to fire even if you had not previously fired the bow. If they are running on separate strings as you say then I'm not sure I understand why fighting with melee prevents me from firing a bow. If you haven't fired a bow yet then the timer should be fresh and ready unless the melle timer is indeed somehow affecting the archery timer. Try opening with melle then quick firing a bow, you can't.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I'm not a hundred percent positive exactly how it works on the live server when switching from a kryss to a bow. The only thing that I know for sure is that the equip delay gets triggered when a swing/shot isn't ready to hit/fire. Honestly, this shouldn't be much of a concern to you as of now since it will be changing relatively soon. The current system will matter very little here in the next week or two. If you're wanting to know sepcifics about the original timer it would be a litlte more easier to describe to you. I'm not even sure if you're wanting to know this about the current or new swing timer system.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Even if you wait for the swing to refresh and dont trigger the equip delay you still somehow... trigger it... when switching from melee weapons to archery. Its only a concern to me because I know the combat system is being worked on and I haven't heard anyone else discuss this particular mechanic and whether it is era accurate. I am also rather inclined towards combined arms tactics in group combat, so Honestly, I'm concerned because its fits my favored play-style and because the system can't change unless we are aware of what needs to be changed. Like I said, I haven't heard anyone else mention this rather specific "issue within an issue". But thats besides the point because when the chips are all down it all about that coveted ERA ACURRACY! :o :wink: You couldn't cycle archery with melee weapons to cheat the timer but you could at least fire a bow when its timer was ready. Swinging a melee weapon shouldn't reset the archery timer. We'll see when the new patch comes out, i'll be looking for this. Until then!

Grom

Post by Grom »

i haven't tested it with the test server yet, but for its worth, I tried making my first char a qstaff/xbow kinda guy, and planned on taking a shot with xbow,switching to melee, and switching back to xbow when I figured I could get off a finishing shot or something. However, when you switch from melee to ranged like that, there's some really wonky long ass delay that prevents you from performing that sorta combo (i'd switch to my xbow after doing some melee swings, long after my first xbow shot, and would just stand there, not shooting my xbow again for a good few seconds, definitely not the finishing move I was hoping it would be).

I don't know if it's era accurate, since I started during the UO:R era, but this shards current mechanics certainly prevent that sort of combo from being performed (which is unfortunate, as I keep trying to find other viable builds that could potentially finish someone off rather than the tank mage hally whacking combo everyone uses, only to find it doesn't work when I test it).

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

if archery is running on a seperate thread, wouldn't you need to refresh your archery shot every time you use it?

like if i fire the heavy xbow at 2pm, disarm immediately after firing... and then don't equip my bow again until 3pm, wouldn't my bow timer start counting down again, once it's re-equipped at 3pm? or does archery counter continue even after de-equipping your bow?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Eaglestaff wrote:Even if you wait for the swing to refresh and dont trigger the equip delay you still somehow... trigger it... when switching from melee weapons to archery. Its only a concern to me because I know the combat system is being worked on and I haven't heard anyone else discuss this particular mechanic and whether it is era accurate. I am also rather inclined towards combined arms tactics in group combat, so Honestly, I'm concerned because its fits my favored play-style and because the system can't change unless we are aware of what needs to be changed. Like I said, I haven't heard anyone else mention this rather specific "issue within an issue". But thats besides the point because when the chips are all down it all about that coveted ERA ACURRACY! :o :wink: You couldn't cycle archery with melee weapons to cheat the timer but you could at least fire a bow when its timer was ready. Swinging a melee weapon shouldn't reset the archery timer. We'll see when the new patch comes out, i'll be looking for this. Until then!
The entire swing timer will be changing, literally.

The whole thing was rewritten.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Faust wrote:The entire swing timer will be changing, literally.

The whole thing was rewritten.
Faust, before you make any weird and wonderful changes please give some thought to this: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20494

Faust

Post by Faust »

I will not be behind any of the changes besides the usual input just like other players here. My work was simply to re-write the terrible swing timer that was implemented by RunUO with the original and add insta hit to it. However, a lot of the other small stuff and optimizations that may have been included to the timer in between July and February was not a part of that project. We all know(including Derrick) that you could very well do an exp, eb, hally combo and he's working on it. I suspect the updated swing timer with the optimizations will be fully functional and a lot closer than the original with a simple modification that added insta hit by removing the animation delay during the swing timer. Also, all those posts that have been posted in that thread has been read by me one too many times. I have pointed out an equip delay bug to back up my argument for insta hit refreshes for the past two years and there is still certainty on my part that there was in fact a bug.