Moongates and other Thoughts

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Raz

Moongates and other Thoughts

Post by Raz »

Hail everyone, stumbled over this shard and I'm starting out, and I'd like to say, first off, that everything is pretty incredible. It's fun to feel like a newb again, and to see everyone else wielding weapons and armor that actually make sense!

I especially love how you've made all the weapons and armor display their names and quality in the old style. I've been waiting for that for a LONG time.

The question I have is about the moongates. Currently, they seem to be in a sort of round-robin mode, which is still leaps better than the retarded 'choose your destination' menu system on other shards.

However, I'd love to see the old style of moongates in, where they rotated between the 8 destinations based upon the moons, and when you clicked on them, it'd only give a description of what you see on the other side.

Here's the 8 descriptions for reference:

Through the moongate you ...

Britain - * ... see a road to the east and mountains in the distance to the west.
Jhelom - * ... see a vast body of water to the east while to the west a city can be seen nearby.
Magicinia - * ... see what appears to be a small peninsula covered in lush foliage.
Minoc - * ... can just make out a road to the southwest and a river to the north.
Moonglow - * ... see a small escarpment to the south and a large city to the North.
Skara Brae - * ... see a small city to the south, while a vast ocean lies in all other directions.
Trinsic - * ... see a large sandstone city standing on a far bank of the river to the north.
Yew - * ... see deep forest on all sides.

This was one of the aspects of old UO I loved the most, and to see it come back would bring much nostalgia, as well as make the moongates more interesting places, as you could encamp next to one while waiting for the moons to rotate.

Derrick

Re: Moongates and other Thoughts

Post by Derrick »

Yeah we're real close to having this reactivated, I was coincidentally working on it some earlier today. We had it enabled in the beginning but it wasn't working right so it was switched to round-robin. I just hadn't ever gotten back to it.

Thanks!