Monsters don't cast spells until....

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Monsters don't cast spells until....

Post by GuardianKnight »

Noticed while i was re learning how to play yesterday. Wyrms won't cast spells until you hit them or they hit you physically. I literally just have to sit behind a wall and hit 1 button to tame them with no worry of being hit.

Seems to work with the other spawn in the area as well. Nothing will cast on you unless you touch it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Derrick

Re: Monsters don't cast spells until....

Post by Derrick »

Yes, that's correct and accurate to OSI. It was applied to pets as well in Patch 131:
Subject: Patch 131 - June 25, 2010: Pets, AI, Housing, Fatigue, Guard
Derrick wrote:
  • Pets will no longer always be able to cast spells, but will instead use the same logic as non-tame creatures for this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

So that's what that meant. Pets will no longer cast spells until they physically touch their target.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I believe an exception must be made for dragon types and daemon types (non-summoned ones). The OSI scripts contain explicit attacking code when a player comes within 8 tiles.

For example, for the daemon:

Code: Select all

// UO-C
on enterrange<0x08>(object target)
{
  if(isHuman(target))
  {
    if(!isDead(target))
    {
      attack(this, target);
    }
  }
  return(0x01);
}
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Wow that's a nice find. It's similar to the way increased aggressiveness of those creatures work on UOSA, but not quite the same.
I'm not however convinced this initiated their ability to cast spells though, wouldn't that be in the spell-casting AI?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

I'm still wondering if the ability to cast was triggered when a magical creature is with in melee range.

I don't ever recall it happening until the creature was actually hit.

Hopefully the exact way it functions can be extracted from the original code.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Yes. I also hope that Batlin can figure this one out. I just want to mention that in this thread in case something happens I can feel like I did something. :D
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!