Are GEXP potions bugged?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sandro

Re: Are GEXP potions bugged?

Post by Sandro »

thanks
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I'm leaning towards random timer; I use a macro to throw 3 then use a gate (throw 1, pause 1 sec, loop) so I can get afk nubs, and I've been gwhacked at 2 secs before I had even through the third pot.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Mikel's insight is actually a good one, how correct is it?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Faust

Post by Faust »

Well the global timer does or at least should handle all incoming and outgoing packets.

Not sure if Derrick went this far when he added the global timer or not though.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:My guess, and this is a total guess, but my guess is that with the tick system, when you double-click the potion to start the timer, the timer doesn't start until the next tick, so it can take anywhere from .01 to .25 seconds to begin the timer.
i agree with mike but it still doesnt explain why throwing them EARLIER causes them to blow up in your face and 2500(?)ms will hit your target 10/10 times
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Derrick any feedback on this?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

son wrote:Derrick any feedback on this?
Has anyone reporduced these results?
Faust wrote:Well the global timer does or at least should handle all incoming and outgoing packets.
Yeah, incoming and outgoing packets are only processed each tick so there is always a variability of up to 0.25 seconds + lag when you "do" something.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I agree that the variability of .25 makes sense, because we input actions in real time, that are not performed until the next tick, assuming (lag provides) the action was put in before that tick. I still dont see how the gap I showed from my results would be caused by this, unless I just have some ridiculious lag spike that always occurs the second I use a purple potion, and then immediately stops.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Personally, I'm glad they're bugged...while they've always had their uses, I don't ever remember 99% of pvpers chasing people down chucking purps in the era.

Dunno, correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think explo pots were even useable in pvp during the era. While they're still being used here, we're just now beginning to see a decline in their use....Dunno, I'm fine with them being usable even if a bit randomized...but being able to run macros to dish out perfect dmg whilst never stopping doesn't seem like t2a pvp to me.
- Elisud

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

benny- wrote:Personally, I'm glad they're bugged...while they've always had their uses, I don't ever remember 99% of pvpers chasing people down chucking purps in the era.

Dunno, correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think explo pots were even useable in pvp during the era. While they're still being used here, we're just now beginning to see a decline in their use....Dunno, I'm fine with them being usable even if a bit randomized...but being able to run macros to dish out perfect dmg whilst never stopping doesn't seem like t2a pvp to me.

There is a ton of stuff that was uncommon during t2a and common here simply because razor is allowed.

With that said, using razor macros to throw gexp was prone to break quite often before the tick system. I find myself limiting what I rely razor on because I can often do it better by hand, or it will often break (another example would be a heal self macro).

Gexp potion was and is much more effective to throw it "manually" (drink pot and throw it). But now we have this tick issue which causes them to be much more eratic, and I dare say that it is not accurate. Matron's report and my instincts suggests that.

PS, there are several counters to someone spamming gexp while you run.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

son wrote:
benny- wrote:Personally, I'm glad they're bugged...while they've always had their uses, I don't ever remember 99% of pvpers chasing people down chucking purps in the era.

There is a ton of stuff that was uncommon during t2a and common here simply because razor is allowed.

With that said, using razor macros to throw gexp was prone to break quite often before the tick system. I find myself limiting what I rely razor on because I can often do it better by hand, or it will often break (another example would be a heal self macro).

Gexp potion was and is much more effective to throw it "manually" (drink pot and throw it). But now we have this tick issue which causes them to be much more eratic, and I dare say that it is not accurate. Matron's report and my instincts suggests that.

PS, there are several counters to someone spamming gexp while you run.
Well no, it IS accurate, since the game in 1999 was based on ticks, that's the whole reason it's implemented here now.

I don't see how anyone could have used a purple potion timer macro, even before the tick change. I spent hours and hours trying to perfect the timer, and just couldn't get anything consistent. I thought it had to do with a varying ping rate. I think I pinged between 25 and 65, so that's .040 seconds in Razor macro delay that would throw off the macro. But I really couldn't prove that the ping was the issue.

So anyways... I guess my point is, no one has a "right" to a functioning purple potion macro. You have a right to use Razor for macros if you're able, but I don't think it's Derrick's responsibility to spend time trying to figure out why our macros don't work perfectly. And definitely not his job to make fixes so that certain macros work.

What's the deal with timing them manually? Has their functionality changed at all in that sense? We know macros didn't work before the ticks, and still don't work. But timing them manually definitely did work before the ticks. So if that's busted now, that could be something to look into. But again, my guess is it's about the .25 second variability between when you activate the potion and when the timer actually starts.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Nobody is arguing about a "right" to macro-toss potions, who really macro-tosses potions anyway? The issue is that there is something funny about them that is effecting manual targeting. Even if you throw it early enough that there is no way it can hit a moving target, you can still blow yourself up.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Nobody is arguing about a "right" to macro-toss potions, who really macro-tosses potions anyway? The issue is that there is something funny about them that is effecting manual targeting. Even if you throw it early enough that there is no way it can hit a moving target, you can still blow yourself up.
OK, maybe I'm confused then... what was the purpose of your macro timer test?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

To show that for some reason, you blow yourself up if you throw it too early, the range between the two prime throwing times in the macro are much higher than the deviation allowed by tick/lag. Something is off, and I can only make assumptions as to what. If this is how it worked in t2a, I dont remember it.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

i don't claim to know how/why it works the way it does, but this is how i've observed it for myself.

if you throw the potion before the number 1 comes up, it will land on the tile/at the feet of the person you throw it at, with at least a second left on the timer before it blows up.

it blows up in your face if you throw it on the 1, or too soon after the number 1 pops up. i don't know how long exactly, and i'm sure my ping affects it. sometimes i can throw them successfully STRAIGHT after the 1 but other times i have to wait for roughly half a second. would be interested to know if its supposed to be working this way.