Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
hectorc2w
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

Post by hectorc2w »

at least stop having the events at prime time, it sucks so bad when you log on only to find everyone at a damn event that has already started.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

There was a 1v1 tourny today
it had 3 participants and 3 spectators. a massive draw from the player base :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

Braden wrote:1.) I already acknowledged that events are popular, and thus it can be assumed that for this reason they will be around for awhile. Not sure how we can be anymore clear on this.
IT's often thrown around that UOSA makes decisions not based on popularity, but on era-accuracy, so you can see how people might wonder about consistency.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Smelly Ira wrote:
Braden wrote:1.) I already acknowledged that events are popular, and thus it can be assumed that for this reason they will be around for awhile. Not sure how we can be anymore clear on this.
IT's often thrown around that UOSA makes decisions not based on popularity, but on era-accuracy, so you can see how people might wonder about consistency.
Exactly. And this was why so many are irked when good features are removed and upsetting changes made in the name of accuracy. It weakens the argument for doing such in the name of accuracy when that same side admits they'll add in custom features which are blatantly inaccurate simply because they are popular or fun.

We can't have guildchat, which almost everyone admits is a good feature, because it is inaccurate....we'll cut our bandages one at a time, because that's how we had to do it back in the day, but we can have a custom system to auto generate and run a game of capture the flag because it's popular.

I'm all for accuracy. Implement every pesky "feature" and remove even the good aspects of later eras, but that same approach needs to be applied to every aspect of the shard. Picking and choosing is where so many other shards have gone wrong.
- Elisud

Dr. Octagonecologyst

Post by Dr. Octagonecologyst »

benny- wrote:
Smelly Ira wrote:
Exactly. And this was why so many are irked when good features are removed and upsetting changes made in the name of accuracy. It weakens the argument for doing such in the name of accuracy when that same side admits they'll add in custom features which are blatantly inaccurate simply because they are popular or fun.

We can't have guildchat, which almost everyone admits is a good feature, because it is inaccurate....we'll cut our bandages one at a time, because that's how we had to do it back in the day, but we can have a custom system to auto generate and run a game of capture the flag because it's popular.

I'm all for accuracy. Implement every pesky "feature" and remove even the good aspects of later eras, but that same approach needs to be applied to every aspect of the shard. Picking and choosing is where so many other shards have gone wrong.
I totally agree with this, it is hypocritical in respect to what Braden said about events being popular so they will stay implemented. But the bottom line is it's Derrick's shard to do with how he pleases. And I do agree that losing all events and the eye sore gold sinks such as blessed colored masks and sandals at this point, after being implemented so long, would be detrimental to the population of this shard. Bottom line it should never have been put in in the first place, and now i think it would be unfair to remove these features. Whether we like it or not there are many UOGAMER trammel style mentalities on this shard whose only reason to play is to farm gold to buy large amounts of silver to use to purchase said items so they can look pretty while while sitting in these instance events. It sucks, but I will deal with it because this shard is still ten times better then any other free shard out there.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I totally agree with this, it is hypocritical in respect to what Braden said about events being popular so they will stay implemented. But the bottom line is it's Derrick's shard to do with how he pleases. And I do agree that losing all events and the eye sore gold sinks such as blessed colored masks and sandals at this point, after being implemented so long, would be detrimental to the population of this shard.
I disagree. It just depends how we go about removing events. We could easily redo the silver system, have it to where there are other ways in-game to get things like clothing bless deeds ect.

I think they should be sold at the alchemist shop.

Honestly, I think it's worse having to play inaccurate events to gain inaccurate silver, than to farm gold for your clothing bless deed.

The only difference is that one is taking place in UO where it should, and the other way is taking place in an INSTANCE.

Events really destroy the dignity of this shard. Having clothing bless deed vendors/neon dye is far less inaccurate than having events.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

CBD's should be a dime a dozen anyway. That's always bothered me a bit here.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

MatronDeWinter wrote:CBD's should be a dime a dozen anyway. That's always bothered me a bit here.
would be awful if they were more common than they are now. should be less common tbh.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I've voiced my position on this elsewhere, but I'll do it here as well.

I personally don't believe that the event system should exist in its current form at all, and I believe that the overlapping silver system needs to be toned down a lot. Despite the fact that each server did have its own unique events, and it is thus impossible for us to really replicate a given server, the reality is that there are two commonalities shared among all server events from OSI: they were all held in the real world, and were thus subject to the same risk versus reward factors as all other gameplay elements, and their frequency was far and few between on OSI servers, especially the ones that actually had a reward beyond the fun of the event itself. In both respects, our events are very out of line with those commonalities from OSI. If one looks back at the time capsule on stratics for various servers, it can be seen that there are very few relics from events, with a heavy number of quest items being no more than about 20 on any one server. This is a far stretch from our approximate 700 events per year that are held here on UOSA (this is just after reducing our event count no less). The moongates that isolate all players who want to participate in or watch most events are also an obvious diversion from the flow of events on OSI servers, which were never grief proof as they are here (see also: not subject to risk versus reward factors), even in the most "secure" of events.

Ultimately, I have no problem with rare server events that players can participate in, but they cannot remain in their current form or commonality.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Dr. Octagonecologyst wrote:
And I do agree that losing all events and the eye sore gold sinks such as blessed colored masks and sandals at this point, after being implemented so long, would be detrimental to the population of this shard.
the silver system and turn in rewards are not a gold sink.

Dr. Octagonecologyst

BlackFoot wrote:
Dr. Octagonecologyst wrote:
And I do agree that losing all events and the eye sore gold sinks such as blessed colored masks and sandals at this point, after being implemented so long, would be detrimental to the population of this shard.
the silver system and turn in rewards are not a gold sink.
Good explanation, way to add to the conversation. People pay 6.5k per silver and need what 700 silver for a blessed non era accurate hued item. 4,550,000 gold is not a gold sink you are completely right. The only thing there should be is black sandals and no colored masks like you have so many of. And don't say people don't spend gold on silver I know players first hand that buy silver and turn-in items for a lot of gold. The only reason they play is to farm to make gold to buy houses and trammel status symbols like your blue deer mask and your red tribal mask. In all honesty I would be all for getting rid of the events and those lame items. It does not effect me one bit seeing as I avoid auto-events like the plague.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

A gold sink is a a system where gold is removed from the game. Transferring gold between players does not accomplish this. An example of a gold sink is housing that decays. Gold is spent on a house deed, it decays, gold is removed.

thanks for not being a spaz about it
Last edited by BlackFoot on Mon May 31, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Populus

Post by Populus »

How about this.
1000 silver to delete someones blessed item. (Blackfoots deer mask and tribal mask and what not.)
:mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

BlackFoot wrote:A gold sink is a a system where gold is removed from the game. Transferring gold between players does not accomplish this. An example of a gold sink is housing that decays. Gold is spent on a house deed, it decays, gold is removed.

I agree with this. The current system only adds gold by awarding silver to event participants. After that it's just transfer from one hand to another.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Dr. Octagonecologyst

BlackFoot wrote:A gold sink is a a system where gold is removed from the game. Transferring gold between players does not accomplish this. An example of a gold sink is housing that decays. Gold is spent on a house deed, it decays, gold is removed.

Ok I used the terminology "gold sink" wrong. I just meant it was something for players to spend their gold on. If you would have explained it was taking gold out of the entire economy in your first post this could have been avoided. Regardless it gets people out in Dungeons farming for gold, you know what I was getting at you just wanted to be an ass.