Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
benny-

Re: Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

Post by benny- »

Karik Verlee wrote:
Rendar wrote:You guys spend FAR too much time worrying about this. I'm only going to post 2 quick thoughts on this matter.

1) This is not your server. You do not own it, pay for it, or run it in anyway shape or form. It is a free server that is hosted by several nice gents that are doing you a favor. It's also not a democracy. You don't get a say in it. (That's not to say that your opinions might not be valued to the server administrators). Accept this fact, and I think your time here will become more enjoyable. Simply translated, accept UOSA for what it is and be grateful for it.

2) or leave.
Im going to agree with Rendar on this one.

Rendar and I(be it on the low side) are both subscribers. And it seems we both understand this is Derrick's server that we are LUCKY enough to have found and play on.

Benny, you've been here for almost two years and yet to donate?
With as bad as you want this server to be as accurate as possible don't you think you could help out with it financially?
First, I have no idea what Rendar is trying to get at....This isn't our server so we shouldn't discuss aspects of the game? Shut up or leave?....Yes, let's just get rid of the Suggestions forum then, as apparently no one has a right to voice opinions regarding this server.... :roll:

As to Karik....who seems to want to derail this subject with a personal attack on me. The fact is I feel I contribute to the server. I've played and supported this shard for years now, I run a guild for new players and do what I can to help anyone new to this server get established so as to help maintain the playerbase.

But as for my personal life...I work my ass off to support my family, what very little spare money I do have I'd rather put in my kid's college fund than towards a free server. Because of that I can't voice my opinion here?

If you can't contribute to the topic or refute my points then don't reply, but I don't see a need to start derailing the topic by making personal accusations as to what I spend my money on. Frankly, it's none of your damn business.
- Elisud

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Wrong, the undead trinsic invasion was automated meaning OSI actually had this ability making the argument towards automation mute.

Also, there is still a lot of momentum to get these events into the real world away from the current 'trammel' theme... So long as people keep this idea alive and interesting it will someday happen hopefully.
The Trinsic invasion was Third Dawn era.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Psilo wrote:You bring up a good point Benny, regarding how events sucks away field pvp, general population at banks, and makes people who want to run real events have to compete and change times to cater to automatic events.

I've gotten a few ICQ's from friends who just joined UOSA saying "where is everyone". It turns out there was 600 people on but everyone was at the event, so there was nothing to do pvp-wise and the shard looked dead. However when there's no event going, the shard is wonderfully populated. There is simply way too many events. I have to say as someone who has played this shard like 7 months events always negatively affect my fun when playing, I don't log on to do instances. Please remove them for the sake of those who like playing the accurate version of UO.

I think that point needs to be emphasized, pvp events kill pvp and player interaction of every type
If everyone was on and was at the event, that doesn't make a very good case to get rid of the events as it shows the majority of people support those events (especially since everyone was at them).

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Faust wrote:
benny- wrote: But wait, when did the Juo'nar invasion of Trinsic take place....Feb. 2000? Well beyond our cutoff date. Systems and mechanics to auto generate events are not accurate.
Actually, someone tried bringing up this very same argument well over a half year ago when this was being debated... The trinsic undead invasion event didn't happen at the same time on all servers and a person provided a source for his shard that dated back to Fall of '99. This actually doesn't surprise me at all since even some patches were distributed on certain servers before others. A great example of this was the reimplementation of precasting that went onto my live server Baja first before any other shard and this was in mid/late '01.

Also, Psilo you bring up the point that bothers me the most about the current events.. The events are instance based just like WoW and removes people from the actual world into a temporary sub-world... This is the main reason a lot of people like myself are striving to get them merged into the actual world in a mannor that is more realistic to the theme of the era itself.

The concept of the events definitely have the right idea but it's just the nature of them that are causing many issues that should not be happening.
Not really. You are just moved to a different location on the map just as if you step into the Brit sewers or the T2A passages.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Rendar wrote:You guys spend FAR too much time worrying about this. I'm only going to post 2 quick thoughts on this matter.

1) This is not your server. You do not own it, pay for it, or run it in anyway shape or form. It is a free server that is hosted by several nice gents that are doing you a favor. It's also not a democracy. You don't get a say in it. (That's not to say that your opinions might not be valued to the server administrators). Accept this fact, and I think your time here will become more enjoyable. Simply translated, accept UOSA for what it is and be grateful for it.

2) or leave.
We always appreciate constructive user feedback; however, once a decision has been made on an issue, further debate becomes unhelpful. Naturally, we try to always listen to user feedback while staying as true to our stated intentions as possible. As it is, the events are a stated exception to the era accuracy mission and thus we are OK with hosting them.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Braden wrote:The Trinsic invasion was Third Dawn era.
Trinsic Invasion was Jan-Feb 2000 at the tail end of T2A (UO:R started May 2000).

Source: http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/tc/tca_index.shtml
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Corbin wrote:
Braden wrote:The Trinsic invasion was Third Dawn era.
Trinsic Invasion was Jan-Feb 2000 at the tail end of T2A (UO:R started May 2000).

Source: http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/tc/tca_index.shtml
Oh ok. I was thinking of the Jukka invasion :)

benny-

Post by benny- »

Braden wrote: We always appreciate constructive user feedback; however, once a decision has been made on an issue, further debate becomes unhelpful. Naturally, we try to always listen to user feedback while staying as true to our stated intentions as possible. As it is, the events are a stated exception to the era accuracy mission and thus we are OK with hosting them.

I had been under the impression that there was never a 'final word' on many of the larger issues on this server.

And while I do disagree with the stance taken in regards to events, if they are acknowledged as an inaccuracy and simply an exception to the rule, then I give up. I have no desire to continue my end of the discussion if it is being considered unhelpful to the shard's progress.
- Elisud

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

In classic UOSA player style, I'm going to post about something that I have an opinion on, even though I am not playing actively:

The events will never go away because they are popular.

I wish staff would just own up to this.

On the one hand there's always the statement "well this isn't a democracy" blah, blah, but the fact is that these are kept because they are popular. People may not be voting on them, but if that isn't a decision driven by player consensus, I don't know what is. The decision to remove them would be unpopular, so they aren't going anywhere.

Some people come up with these silly ass circular arguments as to why they don't fall into the "inaccurate" category...but the true reason is the one given above.

Also any event where players receive anything they can can later sell, arguably has some effect on the economy, thus on the whole game.
Last edited by Smelly Ira on Sat May 29, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

the economy isnt somthing they are trying to replicate
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

BlackFoot wrote:the economy isnt somthing they are trying to replicate
So what? It still goes against your argument that somehow these events have no external effect on the rest of the shard.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

How do events have no effect on the server?

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

BlackFoot wrote:How do events have no effect on the server?
Blackfoot wrote:The server events have no bearing on players actually creating their own in game content. I create as much in game content for myself and other players on the server but I also attend the server events.
Dunno, you tell me. The idea that the effect on the economics of the shard has no effect on other people's play strikes me as questionable. Especially having a way to generate income that exists outside the normal game world.

But whatever, i'm not even playing these days, and I know these events are going nowhere, so have fun.
Last edited by Smelly Ira on Sat May 29, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

You have taken a quote completely out of context and tried to use it as an argument for something completely different gg