Why the Thieves Guild nonsense?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
uofuntime

Re: Why the Thieves Guild nonsense?

Post by uofuntime »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:
Alright, just trying to offer some helpful advice I can see no one wants it to change. The good folks just have to put up with hiding stealing bankers who stay blue... Thanks for considering it. If you read my initial posts it wasn't an argument it was a question / why is this like that. I know we base stuff off OSI T2A but they made big goofs during those time periods so does that mean this shard does too? I mean duels and signups and all that aren't era accurate either.
I disagree. Skilled thieves successfully stealing and going unnoticed is not a "big goof" at all. They worked up to that level, and I think it is entirely realistic and logical. Why would they flag grey if they stole something unnoticed? It's just a perk for being a high level thief. Either way in this shard you can still attack them if you're sure they stole from you (or forensic eval first). I think all these arguments about thieves being overpowered or the system being not fair stems from people's dislike of the "bad guys". The existence of good and bad is what makes UO unique. Why handicap the "bad" classes and reward the good? Every skill/profession is seen with a neutral light and just because some are more "evil" does not mean they should be handicapped further. People have said this before but little changes that handicap the "griefers" will lead to Trammel.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:Alright, just trying to offer some helpful advice I can see no one wants it to change. The good folks just have to put up with hiding stealing bankers who stay blue... Thanks for considering it. If you read my initial posts it wasn't an argument it was a question / why is this like that. I know we base stuff off OSI T2A but they made big goofs during those time periods so does that mean this shard does too? I mean duels and signups and all that aren't era accurate either.
Dude the whole premise of this shard is that every aspect of T2A 'Nov 99 will eventually be implemented (which can be proved). Suggestions to change the mechanics of the game should be based entirely on that alone. "My war hammer weighs heaps irl so should not be stealable in game" is not a basis for anything.

PS: Derrick, I can't cast recall irl so we should remove recall. It's so overpowered.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Faust wrote:Hally's were never stealable in this era since they were too heavy.
Kaivan wrote: In any case, halberds aren't supposed to be directly stealable, just like runebooks aren't directly stealable. One of the quirks of the code for stealing is that on any targeted theft, it checks the weight of the item to make sure that it is between 1 and 10 stones inclusive. If not, the item is reported as unstealable when targeted. however, when a random theft takes place, that check on the weight of the item is never made.
Which one is it?
I was talking about directly stealing it... I remember this quite well from playing my thief in an era where +90% characters were hally mages. I honestly can't say one way or the other about indirectly stealing the item. It may have been possible but I can't be positive. Something like the weight check in this situation wouldn't surprise me the least and sounds very realistic due to my understanding of the demo code.

redeodrik

Post by redeodrik »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:
Pac wrote:
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote: I know we base stuff off OSI T2A but they made big goofs during those time periods so does that mean this shard does too?
Yes, and players being able to steal from other players wasn't a "goof." Also, if someone stills from you they don't "stay blue" learn what permaflag is.
I mean duels and signups and all that aren't era accurate either.
100% correct and they should be removed as well.

Pac I agree 100% and do know about perma flag.... but honestly my thing is being a mage. I can't do anything in town except melee and we all know thieves have massive dex so they can out-run and hide or simply bank what they stole and suicide.. Sorry just bugs me. I love me a cool Thief but I think the hide steal stay blue can't call guards thing is a little lame even if era accurate.
I don't understand your first comment. How does being a mage matter? I'm a mage too. I keep all my regs in a lockable chest and unlock when I need to access it. I started using locked boxes ever since I got regs stolen.

Your second comment is true. I've been stolen from before and I KNEW who was stealing, and he just kept doing it right next to me. I told him to stop then just ran away. What bugs me is that I knew he was stealing items off me because I was watching my inventory. If the system made more sense, then I could have said "Guards!" and they would check to see if he's marked in the past 10 minutes as having stolen from me. If he was marked, then they'd kill him and mark his corpse as lootable by anyone. Now, if he had stolen from me and I didn't know it and didn't say "Guards!" then he could get away with it. Or at least something like that. It just doesn't seem right when I know that the guy was stealing from me but there's nothing I can do. If I was on a street in RL and someone stole my purse and I said "That man stole my purse!" that would be good enough.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

redeodrik wrote:
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:
Pac wrote:
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote: I know we base stuff off OSI T2A but they made big goofs during those time periods so does that mean this shard does too?
Yes, and players being able to steal from other players wasn't a "goof." Also, if someone stills from you they don't "stay blue" learn what permaflag is.
I mean duels and signups and all that aren't era accurate either.
100% correct and they should be removed as well.

Pac I agree 100% and do know about perma flag.... but honestly my thing is being a mage. I can't do anything in town except melee and we all know thieves have massive dex so they can out-run and hide or simply bank what they stole and suicide.. Sorry just bugs me. I love me a cool Thief but I think the hide steal stay blue can't call guards thing is a little lame even if era accurate.
I don't understand your first comment. How does being a mage matter? I'm a mage too. I keep all my regs in a lockable chest and unlock when I need to access it. I started using locked boxes ever since I got regs stolen.

Your second comment is true. I've been stolen from before and I KNEW who was stealing, and he just kept doing it right next to me. I told him to stop then just ran away. What bugs me is that I knew he was stealing items off me because I was watching my inventory. If the system made more sense, then I could have said "Guards!" and they would check to see if he's marked in the past 10 minutes as having stolen from me. If he was marked, then they'd kill him and mark his corpse as lootable by anyone. Now, if he had stolen from me and I didn't know it and didn't say "Guards!" then he could get away with it. Or at least something like that. It just doesn't seem right when I know that the guy was stealing from me but there's nothing I can do. If I was on a street in RL and someone stole my purse and I said "That man stole my purse!" that would be good enough.
So basically you want thieves to never be able to steal from anyone in town? Because with the thieves guild bullshit came the ability to steal and remain blue/non criminal, IIRC

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

Whatever is era accurate will be that - so it is what it is. A lot of things do not make sense. All I am saying is halberds not being able to be stolen is stupid if giant hammers can. Also like above was mentioned if I visually SEE something stolen from my pack I SHOULD be able to call guards.
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:Whatever is era accurate will be that - so it is what it is. A lot of things do not make sense. All I am saying is halberds not being able to be stolen is stupid if giant hammers can. Also like above was mentioned if I visually SEE something stolen from my pack I SHOULD be able to call guards.
I disagree. You are not your character. A dice roll determines whether your character notices the theft taking place. Either way, game design is not going to be changed for you, and that's something we're all pretty happy about.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Sinatra SUN-FoW

nightshark wrote:
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:Whatever is era accurate will be that - so it is what it is. A lot of things do not make sense. All I am saying is halberds not being able to be stolen is stupid if giant hammers can. Also like above was mentioned if I visually SEE something stolen from my pack I SHOULD be able to call guards.
I disagree. You are not your character. A dice roll determines whether your character notices the theft taking place. Either way, game design is not going to be changed for you, and that's something we're all pretty happy about.

I guess I can see that and I am not asking anyone to change anything for me. And my point about the mage was that I can't e-bolt a thief in the head at the bank so your only option is melee. I am glad you are happy people can grief to death. Perhaps that is why the players that like the game for other reasons don't come here.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Guess what? UO doesn't make sense. I'd like to see any man carry 20 bookcases in their backpack and still have room for 30 cakes, 50 bottles of ale and 25 empty books.

Don't get hung up on the little things. The halberd cannot be stolen, a War mace cannot be stolen. I don't see fencers in here screaming about how their spears can be stolen, and I certainly don't see any archers up in arms about their bows being stealable.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Yea you are right - I mean no one can cast e-bolt in real life so that's a valid argument. I just find it annoying war hammers can be stolen - it's not a big deal and I am not asking anyone to cater to me. But hey its all good. I won't stop playing - just tooling around with ideas. But you do notice everyone uses a Halberd and that in itself is just lame to me. But yet era accurate hah

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Halberd is just the best unless you're fighting people who don't carry TR, in which case war hammer would be pretty kick ass. War hammer damage is quite low compared to hally and swings quite a lot faster, even though it is the slowest swinging mace weapon (that I'm aware of).

Due to the wrestle-timer, swing speed becomes irrelevant in tank mage fights, so high damage > fast swing speed. Just the way it is

Macers make better dexers though, DP excluded