Horses

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should we stop horse riding?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 57

Faust

Re: Horses

Post by Faust »

Macing will get a boost as will every other combat skill when the new timer is implemented Alatar. The only weapon class that will take a slight hit will be swords and hallys. We will just have to see what the overall effect will be when that day comes.

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

Sandro wrote:
Lonebob wrote:Also, horse killed mace fighting tank mages. In the real 99 you saw as many macing tank mages. But in UOSA everyone is a swords tank mage.
1999 nobody was trying to leet pvp..

11 years later we've adapted and realized what works best in most overall situations..

macing has its benefits but obviously isn't as (directly) powerful as the halberd..

are you serious?
ummm....I was leet PvPing in 99. In fact this era was the era where two good PvPers would stalemate till someone ran out of regs.

As for macing on tank mages. The extra stamina reduction from whacking someone with a mace was nice and would often times be one thing that wins the dual in this era. Also the number of total vanq and power staffs dwarfed hallys. I was still swords back then because I believed that they were better and I liked having a poisoned katana on me at all times. I was just throwing that point out there.

But like I said before I realize now that this post and my original point is moot here. This server is not about creating our 99 experience so therefore this discussion doesn't matter. This servers president is the rule set of the T2A time period and I support that. I realize now that to go any further from that could possibly favor someones original experience and possibly taint others.

marvin

Post by marvin »

Even though people pretend they want accuracy when they say "get rid of horses" and try to dream up lame justifications like "sometimes people did not use horses on OSI shards, therefore everyone for all eternity should be blocked from using horses as a gameplay mechanic", let's cut the bull:

People who want horses removed do so because they do not like people running away when they are trying to PK them.

I've seen the same argument on divinity (where the retards who want era-inaccurate no horses won) and that shard died because the developers made horrendously bad decisions like that which drastically changed the gameplay of the shard just to cater to a tiny group of unskilled PKs.

So instead of arguing accuracy vs inaccuracy, since that is a red-herring, let's look at the real reasoning behind people not wanting horses: people being able to escape from PKs.

Would removing horses really make it easier for PKs to catch their victims? No, actually not. A person on horseback can run faster than someone can chain cast teleport and teleport the max distance. However on foot teleport can outpace running. This is important to note because a person on foot running away from a PK on foot could easily cast teleport every time the PK stopped to cast and they would be able to escape even more easily than if both players were mounted.

So removing horses to please a small group of lame PKs would just cause a cascading effect. The next change demanded would be to nerf teleport, then the problem would become recall, so recalling when you are attacked would have to be removed. Then hopping in gates, then running into guard zones, then any movement at all... until you are left with some bizarre system where any two players in combat are frozen in place until one dies.

The only reason people complain about horses is because just running away is the most readily available and simple method of escaping a PK. If this method would be removed people would still do what they could to escape, they would just revert to the next best method and that method of escaping would become the new target of "not many people did this on osi, in my opinion, so it should be removed (because people are using it to escape from me)."

TL;DR: Shitty pks should think their demands through a little better because the only people this change would make it easier to victimize are new players who cannot afford to work enough magery to cast teleport or are simply unaware the spell exists.
Last edited by Derrick on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

Pac

Post by Pac »

Marvin: Best post ever.

corr]

Post by corr] »

If there was no horses in any way on this shard it would have to be through some type of reoccuring event. Something like an area/town where you could not ride mounts (either temporarily or permanently). It wouldn't fall into the category of inaccurate because theres already a precedent of using events to create unique content on this shard. (events = policy not mechanics)

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think I already said somewhere "Horse flue pandemic".

I obviously mean this as an event where mounts could be disabled for a day or w/e.

As a player that is usually on foot anyway, I am all for no-horses, but alas, era accuracy wins the day.

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

marvin wrote:Even though people pretend they want accuracy when they say "get rid of horses" and try to dream up lame justifications like "sometimes people did not use horses on OSI shards, therefore everyone for all eternity should be blocked from using horses as a gameplay mechanic", let's cut the bull:

People who want horses removed do so because they do not like people running away when they are trying to PK them.

I've seen the same argument on divinity (where the retards who want era-inaccurate no horses won) and that shard died because the developers made horrendously bad decisions like that which drastically changed the gameplay of the shard just to cater to a tiny group of unskilled PKs.

So instead of arguing accuracy vs inaccuracy, since that is a red-herring, let's look at the real reasoning behind people not wanting horses: people being able to escape from PKs.

Would removing horses really make it easier for PKs to catch their victims? No, actually not. A person on horseback can run faster than someone can chain cast teleport and teleport the max distance. However on foot teleport can outpace running. This is important to note because a person on foot running away from a PK on foot could easily cast teleport every time the PK stopped to cast and they would be able to escape even more easily than if both players were mounted.

So removing horses to please a small group of lame PKs would just cause a cascading effect. The next change demanded would be to nerf teleport, then the problem would become recall, so recalling when you are attacked would have to be removed. Then hopping in gates, then running into guard zones, then any movement at all... until you are left with some bizarre system where any two players in combat are frozen in place until one dies.

The only reason people complain about horses is because just running away is the most readily available and simple method of escaping a PK. If this method would be removed people would still do what they could to escape, they would just revert to the next best method and that method of escaping would become the new target of "not many people did this on osi, in my opinion, so it should be removed (because people are using it to escape from me)."

TL;DR: Shitty pks should think their demands through a little better because the only people this change would make it easier to victimize are new players who cannot afford to work enough magery to cast teleport or are simply unaware the spell exists.

Read the first and second sentence....decided you were a moron....and didn't waste my time with the rest of the wall.

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

*Peeks in* Is this the meeting for Bola Advocates Anonymous?
Gone to greener pastures.

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

marvin wrote:Even though people pretend they want accuracy when they say "get rid of horses" and try to dream up lame justifications like "sometimes people did not use horses on OSI shards, therefore everyone for all eternity should be blocked from using horses as a gameplay mechanic", let's cut the bull:

^Excellent post.

I voted "yes" just as a joke expecting to be 1%... but there are 15 people who want no horses?! Geez.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Lonebob wrote: Read the first and second sentence....decided you were a moron....and didn't waste my time with the rest of the wall.

So basically he hit the nail on the head and that made you very angry. Got it.