What do you think about no use Pots and events?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do Pots ruin the Events?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 pm

No, its fun
79%
Yes, it changes the game
21%

Total votes: 14

alatar

Re: What do you think about no use Pots and events?

Post by alatar »

sure thing <-- typical "one liner"

ps: who are you in-game? :wink:
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

benny- wrote:Id personally prefer consumable resources in events....the unlimited pots means every dexxer continously chugs buffs/cures and mages can keep chugging tr's to keep from ever losing stam....I do like the pots, but the infinite useage def changes the pvp
I think it give newer players a chance to compete, but it does completely change things you are correct. I notice several people run with macros in the events that chug whatever they need the second they are debuffed. If make pots be consumed though I want to use poisoned weapons. Also, you might as well allow paralyze and teleport. Make people bring their own pouches and give them a non-pot escape when low on stam. That is IF you want to change anything. Currently I like the balance and simply avoid tournaments.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

First char on here was Eggroll. Didn't know if I was going to end up playing as him but I did. Created Nubby recently. That's the char name I used in EverQuest, and other free shards I played.

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Here's your equalizer, pots were not very popular in this era. Why? Because the skill of alchemy was a bitch to GM. So this all goes back to gimpy, easy skill gain and easy gold making is what is changing this to a typical player run shard rather than T2a.
You want to un-popularize pots? Make alchemy actually hard to gain, but if many already have GM alchemy, then damage is done and its too late.
It should take massive resources and time to GM alchemy

Lajon

Post by Lajon »

Artemis wrote:Here's your equalizer, pots were not very popular in this era. Why? Because the skill of alchemy was a bitch to GM. So this all goes back to gimpy, easy skill gain and easy gold making is what is changing this to a typical player run shard rather than T2a.
You want to un-popularize pots? Make alchemy actually hard to gain, but if many already have GM alchemy, then damage is done and its too late.
Dude, your timeline references are out of control. Alchemy wasn't a difficult skill to gain during OSI T2A, it just required cash which may have been in short supply for some folks. I spent about a week working on it in late '98 and was able to make deadly poison potions and apply them for my swords mage.

Any PvPer worth his salt had an alch mule or access to one. Pots were extremely popular during OSI T2A. A few years later during AoS they were looked at unfavorably by the dueling community because PvP had evolved far enough that potions became a crutch for poor players.

Mass

Post by Mass »

Add another 1v1 event where the winner has 60 seconds to loot any and everything off the loser.
Everything (but hiding?) is allowed - magic weapons, magic armor, a horde of pots, poisoned weapons, etc.
Makes it a little more like a field simulation where you weigh the risk of dying vs what you carry.

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

except you can hide in the field...

if you are going to allow everything, then allow everything

Mass

Post by Mass »

johttenn wrote:except you can hide in the field...

if you are going to allow everything, then allow everything
You can also run for 1000 screens, jump through moongates, use guard zones, house hide, and more. But seeing as how these are events designed to showcase and test fighting skill, it doesn't make sense to include any of those, or hiding for that matter, or pets for another. Hiding is merely a timeout (or sign of submission) in the same way running is. Also, I wouldn't include hiding if for no other reason than people are waiting on matches to finish.

What I'm suggesting is an event to allow players to use a more realistic and open toolkit (at the risk of losing it), while still enjoying the confined quarters of the tournament walls and a practical speed of progression to determine a winner.

If you want a true replication of the field, the only way to get that is to actually fight in the field. But at least this way people who feel disadvantaged under the current format have a chance to fight with their supposed advantages while being checked by open loot.

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Lajon wrote:
Artemis wrote:Here's your equalizer, pots were not very popular in this era. Why? Because the skill of alchemy was a bitch to GM. So this all goes back to gimpy, easy skill gain and easy gold making is what is changing this to a typical player run shard rather than T2a.
Dude, your timeline references are out of control. Alchemy wasn't a difficult skill to gain during OSI T2A, it just required cash which may have been in short supply for some folks. I spent about a week working on it in late '98 and was able to make deadly poison potions and apply them for my swords mage.

Any PvPer worth his salt had an alch mule or access to one. Pots were extremely popular during OSI T2A. A few years later during AoS they were looked at unfavorably by the dueling community because PvP had evolved far enough that potions became a crutch for poor players.
They were not popular, they were a pain in the ass. Dungeon hopping I would rarely run across anyone chugging potions, towards the end of T2a I carried Gheals when I could find them cheap on a vendor but I never used them. They were never as popular as they are on player run shards. And auto chugging potions? Didnt exist either, its all more player run shard BS thats keeping things from feeling like they should. Cash was much harder to come by on OSI shard compared to the loot dropped by mobs on player run shards. Having easy cash makes all the difference and you even agree on that point.
To GM alchemy it cost more than it took to GM magery and resist, and when you were making Deadly poison there was a chance(small chance) you would poison yourself and die. Ive yet to see a player run shard where you have the possibility of getting DP'ed while making it. And Ive yet to see proper tough skill gain, which many skills not having proper tough skill gain makes the entire experience distorted and watered down, mostly unpopular skills become popular because of easy gains. An people still wondering why they dont feel like its T2a, hmm maybe because its not?

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Artemis wrote:
Lajon wrote:

They were not popular, they were a pain in the ass. Dungeon hopping I would rarely run across anyone chugging potions, towards the end of T2a I carried Gheals when I could find them cheap on a vendor but I never used them. They were never as popular as they are on player run shards. And auto chugging potions? Didnt exist either, its all more player run shard BS thats keeping things from feeling like they should. Cash was much harder to come by on OSI shard compared to the loot dropped by mobs on player run shards. Having easy cash makes all the difference and you even agree on that point.
To GM alchemy it cost more than it took to GM magery and resist, and when you were making Deadly poison there was a chance(small chance) you would poison yourself and die. Ive yet to see a player run shard where you have the possibility of getting DP'ed while making it. And Ive yet to see proper tough skill gain, which many skills not having proper tough skill gain makes the entire experience distorted and watered down, mostly unpopular skills become popular because of easy gains. An people still wondering why they dont feel like its T2a, hmm maybe because its not?
I can't agree with you at all on this one Artemis. GMing alchemy was easy during T2A and many people had alchemists and used potions. I don't know what shard you played on, but on Baja it was VERY prevalent. Even pre-T2A potions were popular, back when you could drink a potion while holding bow and such.

Lajon

Post by Lajon »

Artemis wrote: They were not popular, they were a pain in the ass. Dungeon hopping I would rarely run across anyone chugging potions, towards the end of T2a I carried Gheals when I could find them cheap on a vendor but I never used them. They were never as popular as they are on player run shards. And auto chugging potions? Didnt exist either, its all more player run shard BS thats keeping things from feeling like they should. Cash was much harder to come by on OSI shard compared to the loot dropped by mobs on player run shards. Having easy cash makes all the difference and you even agree on that point.
The chance to poison yourself with a poison potion was in applying it to a weapon, not in making the potion.

To some degree its easier to make money here but I credit that to players being more efficient with their time and resources and creating characters geared exclusively towards farming. Afterall, this ruleset has been around for almost 10 years now, people have adapted and improved. How many bards did you know on the live shards? I only knew a of a handful and they were mostly secondary skills to complement Taming.

I remember having the only 7GM Bard/Cartographer/Lockpicker on Sonoma for quite a while and made an absolute fortune with it. It seems like almost everyone has a bard at some level of skill to make money with here on Second Age.

Of course this shard doesn't have an absolutely authentic T2A feel. To accomplish that, you'd have to dumb-down everyone's game knowledge and have them start from scratch without the knowledge and experience of 10 years of UO. Since that's not possible, this is as close as we're going to get and its fantastic.

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

I figure most poeples memories are distorted by the newer expansions of UO and other player run shards. I only played this era of UO, the loot tables where never this good and the spawn times were never that fast. Barding was never that good either as the monsters were dumber and had limited mana and casted way less often. You also had to get the monsters a LOT closer in order to be able to get the monsters to fight each other, and usually you took quite a bit of damage in the process every time. Stronger, smarter, better pathing monsters make barding easier and more lucrative. Being better players an better informed doesnt increase spawn rates and loot tables or increase skill gains.
Most great bugs in UO were for gaining skill with little to no resources required for a resource heavy skill. On these player run shards skill gain is easier than any of those old bugs, so its like EVERYONE is cheating, it ruins it.
Lol with so many people confused on cast timers, monsters, combat, etc. for this era, if a real T2a shard did show up, everyone would be as clueless as they were back then, lol

XaN

Post by XaN »

Wow, most people would have continued on for hours. Props to you!
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!