Mounting a horse that is in combat

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Mounting a horse that is in combat

Post by nightshark »

Both on OSI servers during era, once a horse was in combat, it was unmountable until it had tabbed out from fighting.

The difference between here and live servers is actually in the way pets work. On OSI it was impossible to get a pet to tab out from fighting something unless you cast invisible on it (whatever it was fighting) or crossed a server line. On this server, pets will automatically tab out when issued the commands:

all stop
all follow me
all stay
(and probably some others I am unaware of - I don't play a tamer)

This is incorrect
"all stop" would reset the pet into a state where it would just forget whatever commands you had given it
"all follow me", obviously means the pet would begin following you
"all stay", obviously made it stand still.

None of these commands had any effect on it's combat status. There was NO command to get a pet to tab out, it was impossible to do without hiding whatever it was fighting from view and jumping on your horse before it was visible again (assuming whatever was made invisible, was not tabbed out from your horse). This was the case well into UO:R and probably is still the case.

edit: A slight clarification in my post: even if you invis a pet, it would stay in combat with whatever it was attacking (thus being revealed on it's next swing, and still being in combat). I meant, for example, if your horse was fighting a ratman, you'd invis the ratman and jump on your horse before the ratman was revealed (thus tabbing the horse back into combat). It was impossible to do this to players though, as obviously they will reveal themselves on purpose to keep you off your horse.
Last edited by nightshark on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Mounting a horse that is in combat

Post by Mikel123 »

Hmmmm... I believe you are correct about everything, but in my experience on this shard, I could not get a pet to tab out via any of those commands. I base this mostly on my experience with taming dragons - I would tame them, feed them a piece of meat, say "all stay", and within 5 seconds or so, they'd be casting on me and chasing me.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

By the way, if the commands here are working like you say they are (and perhaps my experiences with fresh tames are the exception, or I am misinterpreting what is going on), that would definitely explain how ridiculously easy it is for someone to control white wyrms through a Mass Curse incident. I never understood how people were able to do that here; they should constantly attack each other after a Mass Curse until 2 minutes pass without either taking a swing or spell at the other.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

What I've stated is definitely the case on UOSA, so I'd say fresh tames are definitely an exception (it's probably actually coded in that way by Derrick).

You can try it with your horse, or an NPC mage. Attack it, or tell it to attack you, then say "all stay". It will stop fighting you, even if you keep hitting it - you could never do that on OSI. This also makes macroing weapon skills ridiculously easy.
Last edited by nightshark on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I believe this is true, I remember that if you attacked someones mount if they got off to feed it, they were basically screwed.

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I believe this is true, I remember that if you attacked someones mount if they got off to feed it, they were basically screwed.
Ditto. It upset me when the change was put in on OSI (typically, bola'ing the enemy off and attacking their horse only for them to "all stay"/"stop"/"follow me" and jump back on).
Gone to greener pastures.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The "stop" command should be functioning exactly the same way the "stay" command works. The "stop" command didn't start erasing previous commands until early '00 when it was changed.

macil22

Post by macil22 »

Faust wrote:The "stop" command should be functioning exactly the same way the "stay" command works. The "stop" command didn't start erasing previous commands until early '00 when it was changed.
Well I am not sure exactly how they work but they do not work exactly the same either. Hire an npc fighter and start hitting it. When it start to fight back tell him to stop and you will be able to keep beating on it and it will not fight back. He will start to wander around though. You need to tell him to stay so that it will stay in one place.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The stop command currently isn't right and is inaccurate on the shard. The command should function exactly like the "stay" command in a similar fashion to "attack" and "kill" working exactly in the same manner.

This was changed for the stop command in early '00 into what is active on the shard right now.