Second Age: An Entirely Different Game - A Dead Horse Kicked

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Second Age: An Entirely Different Game - A Dead Horse Kicked

Post by BlackFoot »

been here 2 years and i have one 7x char :P and i only use him in the auto events

hate the player not the game?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

Psilo wrote:Macroing is not really the issue people, the issue again is your minds.

Play the game for the now, stop worrying about the past. The past is an illusion!

And on the 2nd day God got high and put weed on the earth for people to smoke and chill out and just have fun.

Well that was useless information for our every day lives.
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:
Psilo wrote:Macroing is not really the issue people, the issue again is your minds.

Play the game for the now, stop worrying about the past. The past is an illusion!

And on the 2nd day God got high and put weed on the earth for people to smoke and chill out and just have fun.

Useless? I think many of our players here could really use a joint to chill out. I believe that's good advice.

Some people are playing this game for the wrong reason, it's for fun...not drama.

What I just said was more useful than watching any TV show you've ever watched. 8)

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

Psilo wrote:
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:

Useless? I think many of our players here could really use a joint to chill out. I believe that's good advice.

Some people are playing this game for the wrong reason, it's for fun...not drama.

What I just said was more useful than watching any TV show you've ever watched. 8)
Yea, I agree a bit... but I just like there to be more of a balance... a GM smith is valued something to those effects. Those are old times never to be had again apparently.
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

It's not so much macroing itself - everyone and their mother macroed back in the day as well. It's the entire mindset of players since the birth of freeshards. You've shown that you, yourself, have this same mindset. You believe the beauty of UO is in end-game PvP or PKing. You refuse to play the game until you have every advantage. Yet, you've proved yourself wrong.

The most fun you can have on a freeshard are the first few days, where every player needs to gather resources in some way or another. This forces people out of town and makes them actually PLAY the game. In '99, the game was too much fun to care about whether you had finished your character yet. You may say this was due to the fact the game was new and exciting. The "new" part can't be remedied, but the exciting part never will be if everyone just sits in town macroing from 0-7xGM before participating in the game.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

dexter4321 wrote: And also because everyone has their templates perfected for the most part, gives a lot more risk to the game. If you run into someone on the field chances are they are going to be pvpers, or noobs. And if they are pvpers then you have to assume of course their templates are perfected. Which makes being more cautious on the field the standard here.

You obviously have played here for some time and this forum account you are using is just to cover your true identity. You go take a stroll out in the field and you find out for yourself how much challenge and competition there is, I can assure you you will find what you are looking for.
I disagree that "going out on the field" is taking a risk. The risk in UO dies after you have the millions of gold and the perfect character. After that you are simply looking for PvP - win or lose, you didn't really take a risk since you were looking for the fight in the first place.

You simply don't understand that beyond the 7x barrier there is so many goals.... Some of us will never achieve them.

Will you be a pvp master ever? i doubt it. Will i? i doubt this also. Everytime you fight you notice something the other mage does and learn. This is 100 times as valuable as any item you could get. Learning is everything. Knowledge is everything.

Beyond that for pvm players do you own a castle? Shit because i don't. I may own a keep but that took me a long year to get and shitload of money. In fact im broke now because of that and working hard to get more money. There are lots of achievements to be had, like making nice looking houses and having large stocks of regs, kegs, and items. Its all about hoarding lots of items, rares and etc.

And the trophy system allows you to get lots of cool decoration items but take long amounts of time to get them but are worth it to get them.

Do you own a guild? A player run town? Shit i won't ever most likely but thats something insane to save for and work toward.

There is so much to strive for in this game, you just don't get it.
I have at different times in my gaming history been a regular tournament winner across multiple shards (once during UO:R on official servers, once on a free run T2A shard) and have owned a castle. That was on UOGamers (hybrid), cost me 11 million gold which the majoirty came from poker winnings. On OSI I owned a keep and was not the type of player to sit around farming gold all day (very boring for me).

Those things, however, are completely different from what the OP is about. Getting 11 million gold, for a castle, however you do it, does not add much of an experience to the game. Becoming a 1v1 PvP death machine is all about sitting there duelling against the top players for 4 hours a day, and learning every intricate little detail (counters and such). It does not add anything to the world itself. The moment you leave that duel pit, the game is the same as when you entered.(though of course, you're less likely to die, which is a pretty rare thing anyway)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I disagree that "going out on the field" is taking a risk. The risk in UO dies after you have the millions of gold and the perfect character. After that you are simply looking for PvP - win or lose, you didn't really take a risk since you were looking for the fight in the first place.
Not everyone is like you. Many people still see novelty in the game just like some people can be 50 years old and see more novelty in life than you can at age 24.

UO is subjective too, =-)