First Character Question

Moderator: Support Moderators

dipp

First Character Question

Post by dipp »

I understand my first character will be used primarily to make money. In order to buy my first house, regents to get up a mage, other materials etc etc.

However I still want to work towards my character goals as I do this; macro talents, develop other skills that do not require money/housing.

Should I start my first char as. 50 Fishing / 50 Mining and work towards....
100 Fishing
100 Mining
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Maces
100 Parrying
Would this be a good character to make money on, farm Mining spots, kill sea serpents if fishing, run from a PK? Should a miner be strictly GM mining and not waste time on other talents?

Second question, should I start every char with 50 magery? I have created a couple chars, in hopes of starting to macro up the easier talents as I accumulate some wealth, however, none have magery. It seems I rarely run into a template of a char I would be interested in playing that does not include magery; thieves, bards, treasure hunters, hally/mages etc etc....

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated to a UO Second Age newcomer!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: First Character Question

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I'd start over and make a lumberjack bowcrafter if you wanted cash fast.
You can do it in towns so you wont' need magery,resist, or parry to escape PKs.
Minoc is probably the best place to start.
Get your strength up by herding then don't focus on any other skills but these two so you can focus on your other characters that you'd enjoy playing more.

Any field character you have magery on you should either start at 50 with a few exceptions.

If you have healing and resist I'd do these two first Magery would come second. Unless of course you want to run through a firefield forever.

You should make a mage alongside a healer on your other two accounts. The mage to build resist on characters that could not obtain it otherwise and likewise healing where you would not be able to because of your build.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

I'd second the lumberjack route. Boards sell for 4gp each (usually), and are a lot easier to harvest than ingots.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Bows would be your money maker though. Sell to NPCs.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

dipp

Post by dipp »

Thanks for your input, I will try out bows today.

If one were to gm a fisherman what would their 7 talents be?

I was looking along the lines of having a character that was able to kill monsters while mining in a cave, or fish then kill the serpents?

However from what I am reading it looks like a straight mule character with only crafting talents seems to be the way to go.

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

There's no wrong way to make a character, just do what you want. I've been told Archery is pretty good for taking out Sea Serpents. Magery works too.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Fishing
Tracking
Magery
Resist
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Wrestling

You can track Pirates, other Fishermen at Sea, Sea Serpents etc. and kill things with your magery. You could also choose hiding instead of wrestling being all you need to worry about is summons being cast aboard to melee you which can be repelled with a table or chest...that way you can track things down and it appears as though it is a ghost ship at sail.

Return to “New Player Help”