Two Sudden Death Ideas

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Two Sudden Death Ideas

Post by Fwerp »

I have two suggestions for sudden death:

1) Give a 1 minute warning in addition to a 30 second warning. This way, players can control their own destinies a little better in preparing for sudden death.

2) I know this isn't a priority, but it would make sense to get rid of preliminary rounds in tourneys, where two people are fighting and everyone is watching. This is difficult to explain, so bear with me.

For example, if there are 9 people in a tourney now, 2 people will begin, and the other 7 will watch. I think this is unnecessary. The people fighting in the preliminary could begin simultaneously as the other participants, with only one person waiting out. When the preliminary round ends, the sitting out player is brought in and begins his first round match while some of the first round matches are still in progress, and others may be done. Basically, by using a variable for "winner of match x", you can get around having to wait for many rounds. This will cut down very substantially on down time.

As another illustration, suppose there are six players left in a tourney. Four players are still fighting, and the other two are watching, having won their matches. There would be a 25% chance that these players would be facing each other in the semi-finals, and if this occurred (as calculated at round prior using variables), they would simply begin their match, while the other round is still going on. There would be no increased chance of them having to fight because they both finished their rounds first, so there would not be a temptation to try to survive long enough so you don't have to face a certain player.

This would make tournaments far faster (way less down time), and might even allow for sudden death to plausibly happen later in a match. If the whole tourney isn't being held up by a single match as often, we'd have more wiggle room to experiment with a palatable sudden death solution.

I realize Derrick didn't script this system, but in my limited experience programming, I suspect this is not too horrific to implement. I also recognize that there are more pressing priorities for UOSA, but I figured I would put this idea in writing in case it is a particularly quick fix. I imagine that the 1 minute timer is extremely simple to implement, if people were on board.

*TITLE EDITED TO REFLECT THAT I AM NOT RETARDED*
Last edited by Fwerp on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Derrick

Re: Two Sudden Seath Ideas

Post by Derrick »

#2 is is a mess to implement in the current system. This has always bothered me as well though, the current tounament engine has been perverted beyond belief from it's original form.

#1 is easy.

The whole tourney system needs a rewrite
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

platypus

Post by platypus »

what is sudden seath

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Right now I think we need to add in a stone of wall sometime during the 30 second countdown till sudden death. Then when the wall falls, that's when sudden death actually starts.

Maybe even a countdown saying when the wall will be up.

It just helps, cause I bet some players use stopwatches. A wall would make it fair for everyone.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

I HATE SUDDEN SEATH.

THAT GUY IS A DOOFUS.