Treasure Maps

Topics related to Second Age

Do you want it to be possible to buy treasure maps from players?

yes
77%
no
23%

Total votes: 53

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Treasure Maps

Post by Kabal »

Treasure maps need to show lvl again, absolutely no one sells maps that are actually the level they claim they are. Its too easy to scam and it has ruined the player t map economy.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Treasure Maps

Post by Mikel123 »

bummer

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I never bought tmaps anyway but its true, the amount of vendors that suddenly appeared when this change went in was laughable, who would be stupid enough to buy maps from these vendors that just happened to spring up when level display was removed?

There's only one tmap vendor I trust, and that Eiffel island.
?

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

i sell 100x L1 TMaps atm and whoever buys them can be confident that they are accurately labeled. :wink: but yeah, since the change it would never occur to me to buy any higher level TMaps from random vendors.

but if it is era accurate it is era accurate.

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

ill only buy tmaps from the black shop. usually buy them in crates of 100. i know they are lvl ones and im fine with that. now i would buy a "lvl 5" map for 5500, when its prob not a lvl 5
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

This is another era accuracy issue that while being accurate to the era, doesn't mean it's the best way to go. I really wish t-map levels would be introduced again. :(

caveman

Post by caveman »

i want to be a spellweaver

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

I have not voted and really take no issue with this seeing it doesn't effect me ..

However your poll is one sided and wrong in it's words .. You can still sell maps .. and I understand your point .. but poll question is worded wrong IMO. Maybe its not a bad thing to trust the person you deal with.. Many use me because I keep restocked once a day around 7pm est and many use me because they know they go to my shops and buy an item they don't have to even thing about keg being full or of right color or same of price.. it just is .. I make price if your happy to go pay then you will always leave my shop with a smile (or so i hope) .. I make sure of this .. though its not hard .. in my case .. I make sure everyone gets what they pay for over and over .. and this brings me people.. If your not willing or able to keep a vendor name location that people look for trust and want .. then don't expect top dollar ..

Again as always this is IMHO and do not expect that it fit anyone much less all people's feelings .. and I do respect all gameplay .. just thought I'd throw my 2cents inl ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Chaos wrote:I have not voted and really take no issue with this seeing it doesn't effect me ..

However your poll is one sided and wrong in it's words .. You can still sell maps .. and I understand your point .. but poll question is worded wrong IMO. Maybe its not a bad thing to trust the person you deal with.. Many use me because I keep restocked once a day around 7pm est and many use me because they know they go to my shops and buy an item they don't have to even thing about keg being full or of right color or same of price.. it just is .. I make price if your happy to go pay then you will always leave my shop with a smile (or so i hope) .. I make sure of this .. though its not hard .. in my case .. I make sure everyone gets what they pay for over and over .. and this brings me people.. If your not willing or able to keep a vendor name location that people look for trust and want .. then don't expect top dollar ..

Again as always this is IMHO and do not expect that it fit anyone much less all people's feelings .. and I do respect all gameplay .. just thought I'd throw my 2cents inl ..
Your opinion isn't even an opinion, its an add for your shop.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

If it were an advertisement then I fail. Seeing I didn't tell anyone were to go shp only stated my business practice and that maybe its a good thing to have to trust some ones business ethics. This will build a name and reputation for players and I can't see what the problem with that is.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Shea

Post by Shea »

I was scammed yesterday by an individual in IRC named Rizem I believe. He claimed to be a bard that spent a lot of time in Destard and had 18 maps that dropped from dragons he wanted to sell. Unfortunately I was foolish and bought them all. They all turned out to be level 1 maps.

Era accuracy or not, the tmap changes encourage scamming. It absolutely SUCKS.
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

This provides a great opportunity for vendors to make a name for themsleves as honest map salesman. They will literally have a strangle hold on the market if they are the only trusted ones.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Is it possible to make item identification work on maps?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Zane

Post by Zane »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Is it possible to make item identification work on maps?
I think that's more of an issue with accuracy. Personally, I'd love for ID to work on maps, but not sure it's gonna happen.

Germ

Post by Germ »

Looking at some archived sites, apologies in advance for walls of text:

This first post appears after the introduction of UO:R if I am reading it right. It indicates to me that at that time there was no way to determine map level.
From - http://uo.stratics.com/thb/newsmagellan.shtml
"July 19, 2000

Cart gain is fixed! I've heard from people who have gained in the 90's. Also, OSI fixed chest looting in Felucca -- anyone not in the party of the treasure hunter is flagged criminal! **grins** Now if only they had put that in with UO:R...I suggested this exact thing back in January at a UOHoC chat.

Now that cart gain and chest looting are fixed, our next goal is to get a way to determine map level. (Well, besides trying to make Detect Hidden and Remove Trap useful...)

I personally believe (and Blackheath agrees with me) that Cartography is the best possible way to identify treasure map levels. However, the popular thought is that Item ID is the way to go. Read my post on the Stratics 'Hunter Forum for my explanation on my opinion.

Magellan"

The first indication i see of being able to identify a treasure map by name is well after UO:R if I am reading it right.
From - http://www.uopowergamers.com/a-aug01.shtml
"Treasure Hunting Changes.
[Nieves] August 27 - 12:25 PM EDT
As some of you might be aware, Treasure Hunting got a host of "little" changes, that when added up, change the way we play our Treasure Hunters.

Which also means, I get to change the information within UOPG's own Cartography and Tips page. Whee!

Anyway, here is a summary of those changes with some you might not be aware of.

Treasure Maps now are identifiable by their name.

Level 1 - Plainly Drawn
Level 2 - Expertly Drawn
Level 3 - Adeptly Drawn
Level 4 - Cleverly Drawn
Level 5 - Deviousely Drawn

Neat, huh?"

Sadly it appears that era accuracy is that treasure maps were not identifiable. If there is any evidence to the contrary I can keep doing some digging and see if I can come up with any other archived news/information that may further clarify things for us.

Germ