We should have new crafting menus...or remove smelting.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nickhimself

We should have new crafting menus...or remove smelting.

Post by nickhimself »

So, I was browsing the early UO patch notes and came across this page first:

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=569

That shows Tinkering received a tabbed crafting menu and the option to make last item. (5/25/1999)

If this is past the cut-off point for t2a updates, then why can we smelt items?

Looks like it was introduced later, specifically 9/22/1999 (Patch Notes)

Also, more Pre-UO:R stuff: http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=584 (Increased lockdown limit in houses)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: We should have new crafting menus...or remove smelting.

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

november 99 is cut off date not sept
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

I never said it was. Smelting is in the game, thus the newer tinkering menu with create last should be in as well.

I heard we're using pub 2 housing, yeah? Lockdowns should be much much higher if that is the case. That pub took place in November.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I can't say this with any authority but as the tinkering gumps are a client based object I don't think Derrick would even have any control over it from the server-code side of things. It would probably require a client version past 5.0.8.3.. although I may be wrong, since at one point I did let UO update to the latest 7.x client and didnt see any changes in the interface (although I didn't look at crafting gumps).

But as far as using a tinkering create last... sure, might be useful, but if you are macroing the creation of an item Razor is just as good doing all 2 or 3 menus quickly to negate the need for a create last. If you are manually creating an item then using the tinker tools and targetting the same tinker tool that you already used, instead of ingots, is the same as create last (same with sewing kits).

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I used 5.0.9.3 on Divinity and it had new gumps, I switched over here with the same client and its all old gumps, about 2 months ago I switched to 5.0.8.3 using the new installer and its still old gumps, so it cant be client side only.
?

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

What's more interesting to me, is the pub 2 housing updates. Small houses would get 2 more secures, and we would see much more lockdowns across the board.

That's the change I want.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

The crafting menus we have now are actually custom made by Derrick. RunUO (and all client versions) have full support for both gumps and menus.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

The current gumps make you earn it!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This particular patch note regarding the tinkering menu has been heavily discussed privately.

It's my personal belief that this one never made it live. I recall having smelt in the regular craft menus in event early 2000. I'm not willing to base the shard on my memory of course, but I've yet to speak with anyone that remembers the "new" craft menu for tinkering prior to 2000.

It's my unconfirmed suspicion that this menu went on test possibly around the time of this patch note, but never made it to production shards.

Be sure you understand the phase two housing system before you jump on board with it, the lockdowns were increased, but every secure consumed 125 lockdowns. Items inside locked down containers also consumed lockdowns, and contained items were actually locked down within. Also item decay in houses and on boats was introduced.

We have specifically cut off UOSA in November 1999 in order to avoid this housing system.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Oh holy crap, are you serious? I quit playing a few months after UO:R came out but I don't remember that system being in place. I also don't think my character had a house at that point, so I could neither confirm nor deny this.

Well damn, I thought I stumbled onto something great. :(