Statloss and Skill Gain:New Players

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
corr]

Statloss and Skill Gain:New Players

Post by corr] »

Given the accelerated skill gain on this shard, taking statloss is not an effective deterrent. After helping a handful of new players get started, I've found the biggest complaint is the constant pks that roll through their hunting areas.

In order to make statloss a true deterrent, and (arguably) improve accuracy, I propose that every time a character takes statloss his skill gain becomes harder. For example, say you drop to 80 magery from 100 after resurrecting in stat. When you go to get it back to 100 the gaining rate should be (or progressively closer to) the rate that was on OSI T2A shards.

This would not affect skill rates for new characters/players, but it would make it more difficult to constantly pk these generally pvp-deficient characters.

Stargazer

Re: Statloss and Skill Gain:New Players

Post by Stargazer »

I was hesitant to read this thread because so many of these posts tend to be half baked.

That's a really good idea though. I like that. Right now I'm on a quest to raise one million gold to finish the Cult's player run town.

I've got a recall macro and everything set up. The problem I keep running into is that I'm always getting chased off by PKs. I don't mind that. I know that this is era and I love the good and the bad. It's making it very difficult though to meet my goal.
†Lord Silas Du'Vry
Prophet of Kerahl
The Cult of the Midnight Wraiths

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I've heard many complaints that some skillgain is harder than it was on OSI, although it's clear that some skills do gain much faster than OSI.

I would prefer to address the speed of skill gain, and not introduce an inaccurate mechanic. What skills seem to gain unnaturally fast?

The accelerated skill gain is not intended.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

corr]

Post by corr] »

Derrick wrote:I've heard many complaints that some skillgain is harder than it was on OSI, although it's clear that some skills do gain much faster than OSI.

I would prefer to address the speed of skill gain, and not introduce an inaccurate mechanic. What skills seem to gain unnaturally fast?

The accelerated skill gain is not intended.
Without hard proof, I would say the weapon skills, magery, resist, and mining off the top of my head. Would the demo provide anything useful with regards to skill gain?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I would say weapon skills and magery, if anything. Maybe each is 25% too fast.

Anatomy and Evaluate Intelligence seem too slow to me, but no one really cares because 100% of people simply macro them.

Resist is probably just right. If it seems fast or easy here, I think this stems from two areas: knowledge of the meteor storm/Wind mages tricks, and us having easier access to gold (since we all know what we're doing) and knowing it's far better to have another player cast on you, versus hunting liches and reapers and stuff (which is what people in-era, at least the ones I knew, used to do).

Paroxysmus

Post by Paroxysmus »

I disagree. Its about the way you gain the skills, I can go hire a warrior from the pits and wack at him for a while to gain skill fast, but if you actually play the game, and go out hunting to gain skills its pretty slow and accurate. Its the same way it was for OSI, alot of people just didn't know the tricks.
Image Against all odds. War us.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Statloss is a huge deterrent.

Look at that moron pro, he thought he was the shit. He thought he would never die.

He zerged and took statloss at least twice and got to 55 murders. Compare that with the loss a bard took in time loss.

Stat loss is huge, it takes 3 full days of macroing to get out of stat with an anat tank.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

I agree with Derrick. An inaccurate feature (if it is) should not be compensated by implementing another inaccurate feature. If there is an issue with reds becoming to prevalent, I'm not certain what can be done to discourage becoming a murderer.
Possibly making skill gain more accurate in terms of difficulty may do this, but other than that there may be nothing on the staff's part to do. On the player end though, maybe we need to band some guilds together that patrol dungeons and hot spots and go a on witch hunt for red heads. If there is a constant presence of blues that can take out the reds and give them stat loss, that may discourage others to become red and for the reds to convert back to innocents.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

People dont realize/acknowledge/notice one of the main reasons its so easy to gm skills is because afk macroing is allowed.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

That is an issue that is most likely related to this thread Limiting Razor for Accuracy. If you'd like to voice your opinion for or against it, might want to check that out.

Neoptolemos

Post by Neoptolemos »

Rather late to limit it or change it now when everyone already has benefitted from it. Also most people now have the benefit of in depth knowledge on how to maximize gains after years of study. Also people have already trained multiple characters over years on OSI shards at various times anyways. Skill gain seems seems fine.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Neoptolemos wrote:Rather late to limit it or change it now when everyone already has benefitted from it. Also most people now have the benefit of in depth knowledge on how to maximize gains after years of study. Also people have already trained multiple characters over years on OSI shards at various times anyways. Skill gain seems seems fine.
I think if we are looking into the future of the shard and its growth we shouldn't think about whether we already benefitted or not. Address the rates now an new players will never know the difference and the shard will be better in the long run because of it. If the population does increase we don't want everyone to be able to become GM crafters easily and to join all the already established GM crafters; it will only lead to a ruined economy. If we create skill rates as hard as they are supposed to be now, an increase in population will only even out any imbalances as new players will not sink the resources into trades that are already established at reasonable levels.

Maldoror

Post by Maldoror »

I don´t understand why ppl wants to stop players from being Pk's, that´s just part of the UO game, if you´re a good blue player you can kill any red, the problem is that Pk´s spend lots of time training the art of klling players, blue players can do the same.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Maldoror wrote:I don´t understand why ppl wants to stop players from being Pk's, that´s just part of the UO game, if you´re a good blue player you can kill any red, the problem is that Pk´s spend lots of time training the art of klling players, blue players can do the same.
People don't want to 'stop' PKs, only prevent everyone from becoming one. Pks are required for a healthy shard if kept in low populations, just like any predator in nature. Too many and they destroy the whole population, too few and the prey over-populate. Take a quick look at this: Predator-Prey Relation.

Maldoror

Post by Maldoror »

You´re right on that, but if we put more barriers on PK that would kill the Pk population, i know ppl dont like to be killed and robbed, and some ppl get very upset with that, but a server without Pking, to me, doenst make any sense.