Torny Rules!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Torny Rules!

Post by Derrick »

Thor wrote:Are we trying to re-create realisitic PvP or just have a fun and somewhat equal combat experience? I guess realistic PvP can't be recreated because we can't lose things. At the same time, I'm yet to run into a PvPer with DPed weapons...
I think for the tournaments we are trying to balance the rules in such a way that it's an equally fun event for all classes.

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Does anyone really believe that tournaments are about anything other than displaying tank mage skills? I can't think of anything more boring (outside of a different mmorpg) than watching two dexxers go at it, just standing next to each other, hitting their aids hot key when it's ready...I'd honestly rather craft than witness or partake of that pvp.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Gilgamesh wrote:Does anyone really believe that tournaments are about anything other than displaying tank mage skills? I can't think of anything more boring (outside of a different mmorpg) than watching two dexxers go at it, just standing next to each other, hitting their aids hot key when it's ready...I'd honestly rather craft than witness or partake of that pvp.
I agree, but mostly because when it happens no, neither can ever win. It goes on forever. With poison the matches might be shorter. Just a thought though, I'm not voting in this thing.

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

id love to see poison!!!

Thor

Post by Thor »

I think if we add poison and potions, the match would be decided before it starts by the pairing.

Macer vs. Mage: Macer
Macer vs. Poison: Poison
Poison vs. Mage: Mage

Just adding poison I think would also take away any balance. I guess if we're trying to make it as even as possible, there will always be someone at a slight disadvantage.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thor wrote:I think if we add poison and potions, the match would be decided before it starts by the pairing.

Macer vs. Mage: Macer
Macer vs. Poison: Poison
Poison vs. Mage: Mage

Just adding poison I think would also take away any balance. I guess if we're trying to make it as even as possible, there will always be someone at a slight disadvantage.
Absolutely true, but it'd be nice to have a system that gives most classes at least a shot at it. I;m not saying the current system, or any other proposed system meets that goal.

Under our current system I've seen Tank Mages, Dexers and Hybrids all pull out first place against good odds.

Thor

Post by Thor »

I honestly think if that is the goal (equality throughout classes) that we're pretty much as good as it gets.

I WOULD, however, love to see an attempt at making some events as real as possible. Maybe a last man standing, or something of that sort. I suppose this probably isn't the place to post that, but I'm just too tired to find it...

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Back in the day (t2a) we had something called "duel rules."

Usually it happened with two tank mages, and you used no buffs (only 1st circle debuffs) no paralyze, no summons, just offensive damaging spells and weapons. No magic weapons either, or poisoned. And of course no potions.

This came about for a reason, the reason was that in order for a duel to be truly about skill (like UO is meant to be, at least imo) and fair, you have to remove the advantages from better equipment or being a rich character. It's all about just using your spells and weapons in combinations to beat the other person.

Now if we're talking field fighting, then whatever. Use potions, use poisoned weapons, hell use tamed dragons. But in a tournament to display skill why would you bring in MORE items based pvp?

Duel rules is about bare bones stripped down pvp with only the pure essence of timing, speed and experience remaining.

If people want an "anything goes" tournament then they should make one. I for one would not enjoy participating in a tournament where the winner is determined by something like a poisoned weapon or bringing more potions into the duel than the other guy.

benny-

Post by benny- »

The classic tourney rules is the standard 7x...no magic items, no pots except stamina and some limitations on spells...Personally I think it was designed to make tank mages win....ie: you can spam poison on a warrior who cant use cure pots, but that mage can chug away on TR's to keep his measly 25 stam from being eaten. =P

I think the best idea would be allowing all pots, all spells, poison and no magic gear. Thus a mage can still chug his TR's and even use para's,but then a dexxer can chug cures if poisoned., seems the most fair to me anyway.
- Elisud

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

benny- wrote:The classic tourney rules is the standard 7x...no magic items, no pots except stamina and some limitations on spells...Personally I think it was designed to make tank mages win....ie: you can spam poison on a warrior who cant use cure pots, but that mage can chug away on TR's to keep his measly 25 stam from being eaten. =P

I think the best idea would be allowing all pots, all spells, poison and no magic gear. Thus a mage can still chug his TR's and even use para's,but then a dexxer can chug cures if poisoned., seems the most fair to me anyway.
Ya but imo the point of these tournaments isn't to make it "fair" for dexxers because that is a boring play style for dueling. The rules are not designed to make tank mages win, they're designed to make the tank mage duels the most fun. Dexxer duels are never fun. If you think dexxer dueling is fun then play Diablo II cause it's the same thing, click your opponent, follow them around, and hit hot keys for pots and aids.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

One thing to consider if you allow poisoning in the arena...

if potions aren't used up, I could join a CTF and potentially poison a weapon over and over using the same DP for a really cheap method of raising my poisoning skill.

In addition, no one commented on what happens when I poison my teams weapons for them. Valid?
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ronk wrote:One thing to consider if you allow poisoning in the arena...

if potions aren't used up, I could join a CTF and potentially poison a weapon over and over using the same DP for a really cheap method of raising my poisoning skill.

In addition, no one commented on what happens when I poison my teams weapons for them. Valid?
When we do allow poisoning in events poison potions are consumed, same for explode pots

Thor

Post by Thor »

I can see the point in it not being about the person with the most/best gear, but if that's the issue then they can be non-consums with exceptions.

Like I said though, if it's supposed to be equal opportunity, I'm not sure how to improve much.