Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Maleficia

Re: Blacksmithy Guide

Post by Maleficia »

I was already at 94 when I looked up this guide. I would just add, from 94 to GM doing gorgets to 95 and gloves the rest of the way, I went through about 20,000 ingots smelting all (at GM miner as well). I do not know how high Gorgets will get, but gloves sure did burn a lot of ingots.

brandonsantacruz

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by brandonsantacruz »

Did you do Katana to 90, then gorget and gloves?

alatar

Re: Blacksmithy Guide

Post by alatar »

alatar wrote:i used katanas to 86 and plate gorgs all the way to gm...
once again..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

brandonsantacruz

I saw what you said, I was asking Mal.

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

brandonsantacruz wrote:Did you do Katana to 90, then gorget and gloves?
It was a while ago since I worked him to 94. I worked him to 94 before the adjustments for accuracy were made so it would be not a lot of help to say what I did I am sure. I only quit because I needed the motivation to mine, or I may have GM'd him under the older rules.

qtip

Post by qtip »

Using cutlass at 50-> is very bad skill gain. Katanas all the way. I burned 1000 ingots making cutlass' and it only yielded 0.4 skill gain at 50 real smithy skill. I then reconsulted this thread, read some more replies and tried katanas. used 1100 ingots making katanas and gained 2.5 smithy skill.

So forget that first post about cutlass'! Katanas are the way to go. Out of boredom I'm going to record my skill gain for once. So I'll post back whenever im done.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

qtip wrote:Using cutlass at 50-> is very bad skill gain. Katanas all the way. I burned 1000 ingots making cutlass' and it only yielded 0.4 skill gain at 50 real smithy skill. I then reconsulted this thread, read some more replies and tried katanas. used 1100 ingots making katanas and gained 2.5 smithy skill.

So forget that first post about cutlass'! Katanas are the way to go. Out of boredom I'm going to record my skill gain for once. So I'll post back whenever im done.
An updated guide as a new thread would be much appreciated. We can replace this one as it seems a little inaccurate.

brandonsantacruz

Like Alatar, what I did was make katanas from 50-84 and gorgets from there until 89 (shown). I switched over to gorgets a little sooner because I wasn't seeing much gain. I smelted all of the results.
Once I'm GM, I'll edit this post to reflect what I did, but so far Alatar's guide is the most accurate.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

Yes, Katanas and short spears on the way to 85 was the right choice. I actually gained very well off short spears from 70 up to about 91. Gorgets from there. Gains really slowed down. Im at 97.7 real skill alternating off between batches of plate gloves and gorgets. If I make one for too long I see no gain.

Currently 97.7 real skill, from 50 real skill I've used 30,060 ingots. Smelting everything of course.

I think short spears might be better than katanas, but I didn't start mixing them in until the 70s, amd I'm not certain.

edit: 50-GM took just under 38,000 ingots.

GMed off plate gloves (i hit a wall with gorgets for almost 2000 ingots and switched)

Mor'Sereg

Post by Mor'Sereg »

I finished GM smith with roughtly 34K ingots. Used katana from 50-72 skill, short spear to 91, plate gorgs to 98.7 and gloves to GM.

Total time macroing 50 to GM estimated at approx. 12-14 hours.

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

I didn't keep track of how many ingots I used, but I hit GM blacksmithy a couple days ago. I made katanas until 84, and plate gorgets to GM, resmelting along the way. I found a nice trick at about 96 smithing that carried me to GM in a hurry though. That is, if you don't have gobs and gobs of gold to buy ingots from players, which would be faster.

What I did was buy all the 18 gold helmets from the vendors and smelt them into ingots. Each helmet smelts into 4-5 ingots. And I sold the exceptional gorgets for 62 gold to the vendors to finance it. So that effectively turns the 10 ingots it takes to make a gorget into around 15. It does take time, but it isn't so bad if you have a simple Razor macro to smelt and click away at all the items in your bag. Plus it's faster than mining, I found.

alatar

Post by alatar »

that's what i keep saying..
alatar wrote:
alatar wrote:i used katanas to 86 and plate gorgs all the way to gm...
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

a Red Eminem

Post by a Red Eminem »

Can someone then please give an example of a smelting macro? Also i'd appreciate a macro for smithing altogether.

Thank you,
a Red Eminem
a Red Eminem

venox

Post by venox »

record yourself smelting a particular object.

then edit your macro by right clicking the section that represents the item been smelting and choose "select by type"

edit the times by the same method if the gumps are giving you grief

press play.

this will smelt all objects of a specific type ie. all katana's are smelted.
if you want to swap it to smelt kryss, then right click the part that represents the katana and choose "re-target"

a Red Eminem

Post by a Red Eminem »

So I'm guessing that the way to go is to gather all ingots up, around 30k and then start to macro smithing? So keep mining until you get desired ingot amount to begin smithing?

Or should I gather 1-2k ingots then start smithing? Which is the way to do it most efficiently?

Thank you,
a Red Eminem
a Red Eminem

Return to “Guides”