Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Bag

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by Bag »

if you mine for ingots, you'd probably be better selling those ingots to buy nightshade to raise alchemy/poisoning from 30-50, rather than using them to raise smithy from 30-50.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Bag wrote:if you mine for ingots, you'd probably be better selling those ingots to buy nightshade to raise alchemy/poisoning from 30-50, rather than using them to raise smithy from 30-50.
How does that make sense? Eventually you're gonna have to raise smithy to 30-50, and the goal of people reading this thread isn't to raise alchemy :|

Anyway, if the goal of a character is a rounded off mule, I don't see why anyone would start with any other skill. It's the most expensive and time consuming skill to raise on a mule. I always start characters with the end goal in mind, and start with the two skills that are a combination of
1) Speed of skill gain
2) Importance of having the skill early in the character's career (eg, meditation whilst training a mage)
3) Expense

Of course, noone makes characters "legitimately" anymore, so the starting skills are a lot more flexible and it's all about what will speed up the macro process.

Depending on the final goal, I would personally start a mule with 50 smith/50 alch or poisoning (IDK anything about raising poisoning tbh, never done it before)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Bag

Post by Bag »

cool diatribe. can someone please post a reliable guide, though. spears seem very slow @ 94. I guess that is to be expected, though. should I just keep chugging along?

Boudoir

Post by Boudoir »

RazitalJiminez wrote:yeah this guide is very out of date ...

I did cutlass --> kryss --> short spear --> long spear
+1

I did the same thing and burned nearly 10k ingots to raise from 35 to 75.

EDIT: Took 10k ingots to raise 75 to 88. Also I dont understand why the guide says to make plate glove. The minimium skill is lesser than for a spear, so I will try to gm blacksmith with only spear.

I will post later how it worked to raise 75 to gm.
The guide at the begining of this topic (macro with only katana) is just a waste of ingots/money.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have 65.3 shown and 61.5 real smithy skill. I switched over to kryss but cutlass was still giving good gains. like .1 every 4-5 made. When I switched over no gains for like 10 made so I switched back made a few more cutlasses and gained another .1 should I keep making the cutlass or when should I switch? Is the switch at 65 real skill?

Edit: Nevermind its gaining with the kryss.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Can you GM making spears?

Bag

Post by Bag »

There really doesn't seem to be any consensus on 95-100 smithing... I used 2k ingots to go from 93.6 to 94.8 which seems about right, doing long spears and smelting. so what now? more long spears? gorgets seem like bad gain. plate gloves?

I pretty much refuse to alternate because I've never seen anything that supports this as a legitimate way to increase skill (there's always one best option.)

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Bag wrote:There really doesn't seem to be any consensus on 95-100 smithing... I used 2k ingots to go from 93.6 to 94.8 which seems about right, doing long spears and smelting. so what now? more long spears? gorgets seem like bad gain. plate gloves?

I pretty much refuse to alternate because I've never seen anything that supports this as a legitimate way to increase skill (there's always one best option.)
Yea going through this thread I couldn't find a solid opinion on which was best. I switched and did gloves and gained 1.x (85.2 to 86.x). I think it took me about 1.2k ingots. I should probably write this stuff down.

So far I did cutlass to 65, kryss to 75, short spear to 85 and made a few spears at 85, like 10 and gained .1 so I switched. I think I'm gonna go back to spears.

Bag

Post by Bag »

I did long spears 85-92 pretty effectively. I don't think I used very many ingots, although I didn't track. I still fail on spears/gloves, but I also make exceptional spears often. maybe I'll try gloves.

Bag

Post by Bag »

update: plate gloves have done well @ 95+. probably could have switched around 93. likely could GM on gloves, but I will probably switch to chests @ 99 just to hopefully speed up skill.

so:

50-65: Cutlass
65-75: Kryss
75-85: Short Spear
85-93: Long Spear
93-100: Plate Gloves

I didn't do an ingot count because I'm far too lazy, but it's a lot and it takes a while.

Bag

Post by Bag »

finally bit the bullet and finished smithy - 99-100 does seem to work best w/breastplates, even though they smelt worse.

UnHoly Ram

Post by UnHoly Ram »

Bag wrote:update: plate gloves have done well @ 95+. probably could have switched around 93. likely could GM on gloves, but I will probably switch to chests @ 99 just to hopefully speed up skill.

so:

50-65: Cutlass
65-75: Kryss
75-85: Short Spear
85-93: Long Spear
93-100: Plate Gloves

I didn't do an ingot count because I'm far too lazy, but it's a lot and it takes a while.

Since this thread is kind of all over the place, is this the recommended training path?

Bag

Post by Bag »

as an aside, I alternated between plate gloves and long spears from 93 to 99, then did breastplates from 99-100 just because I wanted to get it done. I don't know if that's the most efficient path, but the guide I posted, at least until 93, I can say was quite efficient.

frosty1369

Post by frosty1369 »

What level i need to crafting Dull copper and other Ore?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I should add, it took me FAR more ingots than this guide suggests. But I didn't realize that smelting returned more ingots if you had high mining skill (I had 0). So that might be a suggestion to help lower your ingot usage and fall more in line with the guide.

Return to “Guides”