Taming Bible Explained.

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Milliband

Taming Bible Explained.

Post by Milliband »

A couple of things about starting a new character. Firstly always start with 60 Int and its better to go for meditation than animal lore when making a tamer. My tamer starting build is 10/10/60 (str/dex/int) 50 taming/50 med, then i GM herding whilst raising animal lore which gives me around 100 Str and 90 Animal lore (Str gives you a taming bonus allowing you too tame harder things, therefore gaining more quickly). Herding will also come in handy later. I have med instead of magery as I find its a lot harder to gain at lower levels whilst magery is very easy.

The numbers are the shown skill level you need to go to the areas.

30 - Hind/cow/goat/timber wolf, these will all be found at this location and should you want to tame first then this will do (with 100 Str and store bought taming you can go straight to dagger isle).
40.1 - Polar bears + Walrus on dagger isle.
53.1 - Snow leopards.
58.3 - Giant spiders + Scorpions at compassion, using Rose's method viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23711.
60.0 - Snakes on bald isle on top of the huts make a good change if compassion is busy.
71.1 - Bulls in Jhelom or Del, herding is really useful here as you can set the macro to herd the bull to you and then attempt to tame, makes it semi afk.
77.1 - Hoppers bog, using Rose's method viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23711.
84.9 - Hell Hounds, using Nightsharks method viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20578&, don't use boxes like he does.
91.8 - Hell cats (large) in fire, lure the spawn all down to your man spamming tame random grey. Behind the stalactites you do not need a healer (putting pets on top of the roofs is really inefficient.)
95.7 - Drakes + Drags in Destard, up on the ledges you can tame and they cant fire breath you.

With the 1/20 chance of starting taming and spamming tame random grey every .5 seconds gives us 1 attempt every 10 secs doubling our total taming time (to 20 secs on average), compared with 10 seconds for Hell cats/hounds. The halved taming speed is made up for by the higher level of taming. Large hell cats in fire are OK to GM off, but staying at the hell hounds (which you get in fire anyway) is a big mistake and will slow you down considerably.

I have ironed out some of the kinks in the two previous methods. Compassion does get busy so bald island is a good alternative as it is packed with snakes and the silver serpent eats everything instantly to keep a good constant spawn. Herding/bulls in Delucia/Jhelom is really key as taming snakes and giant spiders is incredibly slow from 71.1-77.1.
Last edited by Mikel123 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is not a commercial
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37675 - Violent Library all your Runebook needs.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37676&p=326480#p326480 - Taming Bible explained.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Taming Bible Explained.

Post by Mikel123 »

I have a few nits to pick.

Never begin with 50 Meditation. It's free to get that high with a Magical Wizard's Hat, and quite fast. I would suggest 50 Taming, 50 Magery, to save on reagents for magery.

I don't believe that dragons/drakes, even when using LOS advantages, is better than hell hounds. And this is even factoring into account getting disrupted at the hell hound room by random griefers, PKs, etc. It's much more constant, as you mention, and of course it's free.

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

are these numbers in show real?
Dyx, Your Local Housing Relocation Guild!
Here to sell you housing without the stiff prices!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I think Rose's method is still the way to go. Start to end, but use the Fire dungeon corner trick to go from 85 to 100, not Hythloth. You can avoid all physical damage and breath attack damage, and semi-automate it a lot easier. There's typically less griefers in T2A Fire dungeon.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

The griefers are everywhere...
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

RoadKill wrote:I think Rose's method is still the way to go. Start to end, but use the Fire dungeon corner trick to go from 85 to 100, not Hythloth. You can avoid all physical damage and breath attack damage, and semi-automate it a lot easier. There's typically less griefers in T2A Fire dungeon.
I'm going to do some looking around, but could someone point me in the direction of the "Fired dungeon corner trick"? I'm currently at 84.9 right now and trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

There is a spot just a bit south and east of the efreet room where you can teleport behind some stalagmites. I believe there are two tiles back there you can walk on. Mark a rune and use a second char to gate you in and out of there, because you will get pk'd or get killed by the orc mage that spawns in that area eventually. :)

Duul al'Vath
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Duul al'Vath »

91.8 - Hell cats (large) in fire, lure the spawn all down to your man spamming tame random grey. Behind the stalactites you do not need a healer (putting pets on top of the roofs is really inefficient.)

I came to this spot as soon as I could tame hell hounds and GM'd my tamer here. I have a few pointers of my own.

1. Start here as soon as you get to hell hounds. There are 2 separate spawns of 5 hounds each on this level of Fire and both spawns are 'usually' easy enough to drag to your tamer with a bard plus you get lava lizards and small hellcats to boot.

2. "spamming tame random grey" Absolutely do not use tame random grey. Use target by type and build your list with the hardest target first in the list. So your list will end up like this - 1st hellcat (large), 2nd hell hound, 3rd lava lizard, 4th hellcat (small). DO NOT tame the scorpions!!! If you tame the scorpions or use random grey, the tamed scorpions will poison your good targets and run them off eventually. This is the most important tip I can give for this spot.

3. Use your bard puller to provoke the giant rats, slimes, giant serpents, etc. against each other in spots where they can't get to each other.

4. Pull that orcish mage to an area where it can't get to your tamer.

Thelonious Black and Otmar the Mad of the UBB
Arms & Armor by Thelonious Black

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Duul al'Vath wrote:4. Pull that orcish mage to an area where it can't get to your tamer.
^^^ Especially this. I lured the mage way down the hall and around a couple corners. Made my life much easier when I was working taming there.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Milliband wrote:...
95.7 - Drakes + Drags in Destard, up on the ledges you can tame and they cant fire breath you.

With the 1/20 chance of starting taming and spamming tame random grey every .5 seconds gives us 1 attempt every 10 secs doubling our total taming time (to 20 secs on average), compared with 10 seconds for Hell cats/hounds. The halved taming speed is made up for by the higher level of taming. Large hell cats in fire are OK to GM off, but staying at the hell hounds (which you get in fire anyway) is a big mistake and will slow you down considerably.

Mikel123 wrote:...
I don't believe that dragons/drakes, even when using LOS advantages, is better than hell hounds. And this is even factoring into account getting disrupted at the hell hound room by random griefers, PKs, etc. It's much more constant, as you mention, and of course it's free.
Anyone else want to chime in on this? I'm approaching the point of making this decision and it seems like spots with Dragons & Drakes (specifically Destard) would be brutal because of the PKers.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

I GM'd at Hytloth following Rose's guide exactly and I was only griefed a couple of times. This was only 2 or 3 months ago. You can't expect to work taming fully afk. I just had the macro running (2 accts, a healer and the tamer) up on a 2nd screen while i was playing regularly on my 3rd account. Just make sure a pvp ready alt has a rune and is stocked to recall in if one or two reds are trying to grief you. I always left it running overnight, as well. You will definitely get griefed this way but all you lose are bandages and if you get lucky you'll get several hours of ungriefed macroing in.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

I went for the drakes method. When your skill gets too high at hell hounds, you tame them to quickly so you're constantly waiting for them to respawn, which requires a lot more attention than taming drakes. On the second level of destard there are several spots where you can teleport up to a ledge and tame. I suggest finding a couple of these spots and mark runes to them (in case there are others there taming in one of your spots). Use a second character to gate your tamer in and out (can only gate him out when he dies of course, otherwise "that location is blocked"). There are a lot of pk's that come through there, but a fair amount of them leave you alone. I once tamed AFK there for 8 hours. I could hardly believe it when I came back to my computer and I was still alive.

One thing to help you to survive better would be to use another character to lure the dragon into a spot where he can't cast on you. Get him stuck behind some pillars or something. I probably died more often from the dragon getting to me than I did to pk's.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Finally GM'd my taming a couple weeks ago and just wanted to chime in with my experience on this. I found the fire dungeon corner trick to be MUCH faster than drakes in Destard level 2. In my experience, I would leave my tamer going at the drakes and would rarely get gains and usually come back dead. Not to mention the setup in there was annoying. So much angering the beast too!!! :evil:

By this point in my taming career (upper 90's) I was VERY efficient at setting up the Fire dungeon corner and grabbing any and all lizards, small/large cats and hounds. You will be successfully taming them fairly quickly but I think that helps the gains.

I think the Destard method could be potentially more "hands off" (if you wanted to do other things) but from what I saw would take longer. While the Fire Dungeon method required active playing on another character (preferably a bard), plus your tamer, but the gains were sooooo much faster!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Taming is for losers...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

FishinPro wrote:Taming is for rich losers...
fixed