Cartography help pls

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Derrick

Re: Cartography help pls

Post by Derrick »

My recolection in doing this myself on OSI that it was a gold sink all the way to GM, our prices should be the same, but I'll check it out.

If there is a profit here, it would not be allowed to do this AFK. There's probably a strong case that this should not be allowed AFK at all, but currently the rules do cite profit.

I'll plan to follow up after I've looked into it. Thanks!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

jekkis wrote:Thanks for the macro nightshark, very nice indeed.

I have one concern, though: isn't the macro bannable unless you attend it, as you are AFK and actually selling vendors items for profit? With the macro you are buying blank maps and selling the maps you make for a higher price.

It states on the UOSA Shard Rules:

"You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit."
I would buy maps for a couple days, stacking bags w/ 124 maps each in my house. Then for an evening, I would macro a
bag of maps every 20 minutes or so. After making the maps, I dropped them in a trash barrel. Its way easier to just throw away, then carry for resale or afking for a very small profit.

It takes a ton of maps to GM.

Good Luck!
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

Derrick wrote:My recolection in doing this myself on OSI that it was a gold sink all the way to GM, our prices should be the same, but I'll check it out.

If there is a profit here, it would not be allowed to do this AFK. There's probably a strong case that this should not be allowed AFK at all, but currently the rules do cite profit.

You are right, while not really a true gold sink, the profit here would be extremely slim at best. Blank maps cost 3 gp each and drawn maps you can sell back at 4 gp each. The amounts make this a point of view issue: a profit of 25% is not marginal, but then again on the entity of UOSA economy the amounts discussed here are marginal.

I admit that it's hard to make a profit when macroing for skill gain, not sure if you can even do it at high 90's or GM. I am at 85.x so can't really say whether this would be a sustainable method for AFK profits. However, I just noticed that the maps are sold for profit and because the rules do not define AFK profiteering any boundaries, I wasn't clear if it mattered in a case like this. If we isolate to the level where a single map leaves you a gold piece richer and ignore the long-term possibilities, this is essentially AFK selling items for profit.

Not trying to be a hypocrite, just wanted clarification on this since I am macroing cartography.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

jekkis wrote:
Derrick wrote:My recolection in doing this myself on OSI that it was a gold sink all the way to GM, our prices should be the same, but I'll check it out.

You are right, while not really a true gold sink, the profit here would be extremely slim at best. Blank maps cost 3 gp each and drawn maps you can sell back at 4 gp each. The amounts make this a point of view issue: a profit of 25% is not marginal, but then again on the entity of UOSA economy the amounts discussed here are marginal.

I admit that it's hard to make a profit when macroing for skill gain, not sure if you can even do it at high 90's or GM. I am at 85.x so can't really say whether this would be a sustainable method for AFK profits. However, I just noticed that the maps are sold for profit and because the rules do not define AFK profiteering any boundaries, I wasn't clear if it mattered in a case like this. If we isolate to the level where a single map leaves you a gold piece richer and ignore the long-term possibilities, this is essentially AFK selling items for profit.

Not trying to be a hypocrite, just wanted clarification on this since I am macroing cartography.
Seems the chance to make a map is simply your skill level=chance to make a map. At 80 skill you would start breaking even, at 100 skill it's purely a gold multiplier. Given the 10 second timer on cartography, with a GM carto this macro would make 360 gold per hour.

Looks like unattended cartography may have just been grandfathered :P
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

RichIX
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RichIX »

Just my input:

This skill is un-macroable unless you have the time (and patience) to stock up on 12-14k of blank maps and store them at house...
The skill is un-macroable as you do fail when creating maps which renders one map as useless and gets deleted from your pack, the macro listed by nightshark (no offence nightshark) is unusable due to the fail rate and buying different maps if there are no blank maps left (as nightshark already mentioned) I did run this macro one night and just ended up with aload of maps that where not blank.....
I'm currently 90 skill and the gains are slow, I'm still failing so using the macro is still not an option maybe at 94 I might be able to leave it running overnight.

So far I have had to manually re-stock at different shops and got to this skill being semi-attended restocking every 30-40 mins.

(You can do any maps and you will gain to 99.5 skill)
My Top Tips:

My Razor Macro is as follows:
Useskill Carto
Wait for Menu (Any)
Menu Response 4
Pause 10sec

Before selling to a vendor, buy ANY blank maps they might have (even if they drop on the floor) then sell any maps you may have left.
Once you have sold the maps you have made buy the blank maps again (when you sell they re-stock with blanks) so buy them all again....

This skill is tedious as hell im looking at running nightsharks macro at 94 skill overnight as it might run smoothly with me not failing much on the maps anymore..

Anyway just my 2c :)
GM Lockpicker at your Service

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

RichIX wrote:Just my input:

This skill is un-macroable unless you have the time (and patience) to stock up on 12-14k of blank maps and store them at house...
The skill is un-macroable as you do fail when creating maps which renders one map as useless and gets deleted from your pack, the macro listed by nightshark (no offence nightshark) is unusable due to the fail rate and buying different maps if there are no blank maps left (as nightshark already mentioned) I did run this macro one night and just ended up with aload of maps that where not blank.....
I'm currently 90 skill and the gains are slow, I'm still failing so using the macro is still not an option maybe at 94 I might be able to leave it running overnight.

So far I have had to manually re-stock at different shops and got to this skill being semi-attended restocking every 30-40 mins.

(You can do any maps and you will gain to 99.5 skill)
My Top Tips:

My Razor Macro is as follows:
Useskill Carto
Wait for Menu (Any)
Menu Response 4
Pause 10sec

Before selling to a vendor, buy ANY blank maps they might have (even if they drop on the floor) then sell any maps you may have left.
Once you have sold the maps you have made buy the blank maps again (when you sell they re-stock with blanks) so buy them all again....

This skill is tedious as hell im looking at running nightsharks macro at 94 skill overnight as it might run smoothly with me not failing much on the maps anymore..

Anyway just my 2c :)

you just done it wrong, I afk'd to GM. not 99.5 not 99.9 like uor but GM. you way would take a life time mine took maybe 2-3 days.

do the macro that's set out in the first page ie. vendor buy>make 20 maps>vendor sell

1. you need to max out the vendor or atleast get over 360 maps. you make about a map in 11 secs so with 360 on vendor it'll restock before you use them all.

2. don't make so many maps, try making 5-20 max not 50 etc.

3. under 90 skill you need to keep you char fed with gold, it took me about 25k to get to 92 then after that you get enough maps to start making money back at a very slow rate. so after 92 I had 1k gold on me and probley made 10k be the time I was GM.

The only time I had troubles with buying out the vendor was when someone came and brought him out before the restock. it takes one uo day to restock vendor what is about 40 mins so you need 360 maps per 60 mins. you couldn't use the 999 maps to yourself even if you wanted to.

@derrick
It costs 15k to GM after the 90ish-gm profit, if you were macroing afk @ GM you make 360gp a hour. really not worth the time. you make more in the gy in 2-3 kills.

but i'm happy i got to gm before the final word was added on afk :D

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

This thread/the macro was very helpful, however, I'm not seeing how this would be possible to do afk (illegal or not) at this current time/population.

I've been running around the last couple days trying to make this work and it seems that there are just too many people recalling around to all the map vendors and buying them out.

I've been having to do this semi-afk because of people buying them out and because I'm having to obviously replenish gold. So I've used the original part of the macro:

For (1 to xx)
Useskill Cartography
Wait 0.5s
Choose Option (map you want to make - doesnt matter)
wait 10s
endfor

And I'll recall around, hoping to find maps before the other people 8) and get a good stock... like say 70-100. Then I'll edit the first line of the macro (the For loop) with my number of maps. I'll then come back and check on it, sell off my created maps (usually about 1/2 of the total number) and restock from the same vendor. Rinse and repeat until only a small amount of maps are left (buy em) and then go searching again!

I'm currently at about 81 cartography (starting from 50) after about 2-3 days...

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Still doing as I described above but I am succeeding at making a map a lot more now. Also, I've been using a different character to buy up some maps while I am working on my cartographer and I've got a decent supply now. A few nights in a row I've been able to start with about 116 maps, some from my supply and some purchased from whatever vendor I am choosing to camp, and keep cycling through until I go to bed (2-4 hrs)

I'm now at 92 cartography and it has slowed considerably...

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Yes it is horribly slow to GM once you hit the mid 90s.

Your chance to make a map is equal to your skill level, so you'll find the macro I described will work great once you are at that level. Even if people buy out the vendor it will keep you macroing for a long time.

8% chance of failing a map at 92
116 maps becomes 107 after selling/rebuying -> 98 -> 90 -> 83 -> 76 -> etc.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

nightshark wrote:Yes it is horribly slow to GM once you hit the mid 90s.

Your chance to make a map is equal to your skill level, so you'll find the macro I described will work great once you are at that level. Even if people buy out the vendor it will keep you macroing for a long time.

8% chance of failing a map at 92
116 maps becomes 107 after selling/rebuying -> 98 -> 90 -> 83 -> 76 -> etc.
Awesome, great info!

Question though, sorry I'm not understanding - How will this keep you macroing for a long time even with people buying out the blank maps? In my limited experience I don't see how this is possible because once they buy out all the blanks, you start buying the already drawn and are not actually raising cartography. So then you're buying/selling already drawn maps until the vendor refreshes?

I guess I could just try it and see how it goes...

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

RaveGreen wrote:Question though, sorry I'm not understanding - How will this keep you macroing for a long time even with people buying out the blank maps? In my limited experience I don't see how this is possible because once they buy out all the blanks, you start buying the already drawn and are not actually raising cartography. So then you're buying/selling already drawn maps until the vendor refreshes?

I guess I could just try it and see how it goes...
Because every time you sell one of your drawn maps, the vendor will restock a blank map. The macro sells the drawn maps and instantly buys back blank maps. Unless things have changed since I did cartography, this is how it worked and why the macro I described worked well at high levels of carto. As you can see by the date of the post, I did my cartography in mid 2010 so I may not be up to speed. Easy to test.

It worked better if the vendor you were buying/selling from already had a quite a few stocked blank maps, because your character would usually buy them out before anyone else turned up.

Honestly, if someone comes and buys out all the maps on the vendor the macro is not going to be anything like ideal. It really wasn't a problem when I macroed it though. At worst your macro might do nothing for a while, provided you have enough gold on your player character to keep it going once the vendor restocks.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

nightshark has it right, I understand at low level carto it can be hard to afk because of fails and thus you lose some blanks at restock. also people will camp next to the vendor buying your blanks. but they can only carry 125 maps max then dump them somewhere and return....

if you find a vendor with at least 360 maps chances are the macro will run with very little loss. except at low levels.

at 0 carto you couldn't use 360 maps in the npc's inventory anyhow, then once your selling made maps back your be getting extra blanks onto of the npc stock.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Hey guys,

I now understand what you, jimm1432 and Nightshark are saying, but still...

I'm saying that in my time from 50-95 (just the last few weeks), recalling around to all the map vendors I know, I have neither seen anything over 120-ish nor have I been successful with the buy/sell thing to go long enough to get to that amount (300+).

I'm not trying to disclaim what you guys are saying, just that I have not had any luck getting it to work :?

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

raasclaat

Post by raasclaat »

I also rarely find blank maps at the top of the buy list. For me they are down the end.

Mr.Kizzle

Post by Mr.Kizzle »

raasclaat wrote:I also rarely find blank maps at the top of the buy list. For me they are down the end.
Yea this is the case for me too, anyone have a solution? Bulk stocking sounds brutal.