The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Diesel
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Post by Diesel »

I'm sorry I forgot to add this in the beginning. FYI to anyone that uses Razor, it WILL NOT work with Linux. Enough said. :D
Here are the 4 stages of Life
1) You believe in Santa
2) You don't believe in Santa
3) You ARE Santa
4) You LOOK like Santa

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

I use razor with linux every day...see my explanation in this thread. I run it through wine on debian, all you have to do is use winetricks to install dotnet20. I can upload screenshots if you like.

You can get ANYTHING to work with linux.

Diesel
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Diesel »

Please do if possible. I didn't think it would work because of the .NET and wine, but I also am not expert on the linux system, although I envy it.
Here are the 4 stages of Life
1) You believe in Santa
2) You don't believe in Santa
3) You ARE Santa
4) You LOOK like Santa

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

1) Search for a script program called winetricks
2) run it from shell like this:

sh winetricks dotnet20

this downloads the dotnet 2.0 framework and installs it to wine.

then run razor with wine, it will install and run like any other program.

p.s. uoam works if you you run it so:

sh winetricks dotnet20 allfonts fontsfix

I will try to remember to post links and screens tomorrow. Let me know if you can get it working. winetricks is all you need.

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok »

When I run "winetricks dotnet20" the installer complains about not having Internet Explorer 5.1 installed. So I installed IE via Wine. It didn't help. Any suggestions?

Update: I just updated to Ubuntu 8.10, and going through this again, I noticed the words "requires Windows license". I don't actually have one of those. So this isn't going to work?

Is there any other way to get UO to point somewhere other than OSI's servers, something that doesn't require .NET? Having a "how to play under Linux" guide is kind of pointless if you can't actually connect to Second Age under Linux.

Jakks

Post by Jakks »

WTB for Mac Leopard (10.5.5) =[

sorren

Post by sorren »

Tarvok wrote:When I run "winetricks dotnet20" the installer complains about not having Internet Explorer 5.1 installed. So I installed IE via Wine. It didn't help. Any suggestions?

Update: I just updated to Ubuntu 8.10, and going through this again, I noticed the words "requires Windows license". I don't actually have one of those. So this isn't going to work?

Is there any other way to get UO to point somewhere other than OSI's servers, something that doesn't require .NET? Having a "how to play under Linux" guide is kind of pointless if you can't actually connect to Second Age under Linux.
try
sh winetricks gecko fakeie6

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok »

sorren wrote: try
sh winetricks gecko fakeie6
Thanks for the reply, so long after I first posted this! :)

Well, I tried it, and for a while, I thought this might have done it. No errors seemed to be generated. After downloading finished:

Code: Select all

All done, no errors.
Executing wine regedit /home/tarvok/.wine/drive_c/winetrickstmp/geckopath.reg
Install of gecko done
Executing wine regedit /home/tarvok/.wine/drive_c/winetrickstmp/fakeie6.reg
Install of fakeie6 done
winetricks done.
tarvok@Rider:~$ 
But when I attempted to install Razor, it complained that it requires .NET. So I'm still not there yet.

sorren

Post by sorren »

i'll install linux on my computer machine tonight and figure it out for all ya

sorren

Post by sorren »

wine 1.1.10 borked trying to run razor. yelled at me about not finding the clients thread id.

however i was able to get dotnet20 to install with no problems. open up a terminal and wipe out your wine directory

rm -rf ~/.wine
install the UO client
winetricks allfonts tahoma fontfix gecko fakeie6 dotnet20
winecfg to setup your audio

maybe it will work for ya
ill switch wine versions because i know i have ran it before fine

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok »

Thanks for the effort. It didn't work, which is something I'm getting used to on this system. Whatever program was active was complaining about "expired certificates" while running winecfg:

Code: Select all

All done, no errors.
Executing cp -f /home/tarvok/.wine/drive_c/winetrickstmp/tahoma.ttf /home/tarvok/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/tahoma.ttf
Executing wget -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-1.04.tar.gz
--2009-01-22 01:38:03--  https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-1.04.tar.gz
Resolving fedorahosted.org... 66.135.52.17
Connecting to fedorahosted.org|66.135.52.17|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify fedorahosted.org's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=Equifax/OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority':
  Issued certificate has expired.
To connect to fedorahosted.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.
Note: command 'wget -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-1.04.tar.gz' returned status 1.  Aborting.
I give up. I think my machine just plain isn't going to do this.

sorren

Post by sorren »

ah your wgetrc configuration file must be hosed

easy enough just load up your favorite text editor and change line 347 of the winetricks script from
try wget -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate" "$2"

to
try wget -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --no-check-certificate --header "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate" "$2"

wolfyking2

Post by wolfyking2 »

Ok, I'm trying to run this game through wine, but I have run into a little problem. I patched EVERYTHING (yes, including the patch to 5.0.8.3) and when I run the game the patcher comes up, patches some things then says "Your client may not be the most recent version.
You may be able to play the game with your current client.
Check http:\www.uo.com for help on resolving patching issues.
Click OK to play the game or Cancel to abort."

help?

sorren

Post by sorren »

make sure you're running client.exe instead of uo.exe

also razor works if you run that winetricks script and the commands

sh winetricks allfonts tahoma fontfix gecko fakeie6 dotnet20
then install razor but instead of running the normal Razor.exe executable change it to Updater.exe otherwise it will yell at you about not being able to find a thread id. However the hotkeys don't work, but developers are working on fixing that problem http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5623

if you have a composite window manager like compiz running shut that down

also i had to run winecfg and change the sound to alsa emulation otherwise it sounded like crap

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok »

OMG this is like pulling teeth! Yeah, I got dotnet working now. I got razor installed. My port box is grayed. I've looked around the registry, and I can't find "lastserver" in ANY of Razor's entries (by "any" I mean HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and HKEY_USERS).

(time lapse)

But before I clicked "send" I decided to try a few things. First, I tried adding them manually to the appropriate location in HK_USERS. Fail. Then, I edited in string values, the port and server. I don't know if the specific string values mattered, but port is now editable. Even more: I now have UO open in the background, and I can hear some guys macroing up his musicianship!

OMG Thank you thank you THANK YOU Soren!

EDIT: The only problem I'm having is with sound periodically cutting out... but I suspect I'm just going to have to live with that. Heh, I'll have to learn camping just so I can quit and restart whenever I feel like it.