NPC Shopkeeper restocking

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

NPC Shopkeeper restocking

Post by Arkon »

Now, I know this has been discussed in the past while I was away. The last thread on this seems to be from 2015 and the patch that made vendors operate on a limited amount of gold was from 2012 (I think?). It seems to be that since then not only has the population changed, but the type of population we have has changed, as in I rarely see any true, new players.

New players buy from vendors. Back in the early days of UOSA as well as OSI, there was a steady influx of new players. NPC shopkeepers were used for both selling and buying. Now, on UOSA, we don't have new players. Most of the people I see on a day to day basis are vets. Most NPC shopkeepers are strictly used as trash cans. Money goes out, none comes in with the exception being provisioners and mages/achemists because everyone buys bags and regs. Blacksmiths, armorers, jewelers, etc are hardly ever selling their inventory. If you want to sell your junk, you better hope you get lucky.

This is era accurate to some degree. Accurate as far as the vendors did have a limited amount of gold (do we know how much for certain?), and they had restock timers. However, as a returning player who came back to nothing, I'm essentially a new player, and I feel like with an average of maybe 50-70 IPs on at any given time, I am struggling way too hard to sell items to NPC shopkeepers. I'm not someone has been playing for 8 years and looking to offload my hoard of 60k diamonds over night, I'm just trying to sell a few hours worth of items. The problem is I can't. New players can't. When this happens those 40-50 gems you gathered that day but can't sell turn into 100 gems the next day, 150 the next, etc. Same for magic armor, weapons. The option becomes hoard or trash it. As a new player, it stings a little bit to trash items of value.

That said, can we revisit this now? I stumbled across this quote by Derrick:
The information that's missing currently is the restock code, so we're going to do our best to approximate it on the basis of reasonableness, and on player feedback.
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."

SighelmofWyrmgard

Re: NPC Shopkeeper restocking

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

You may have seen this thread, from 2015. I wish to bring attention to the 6th reply, from Markus:
Markus wrote:The issue of vendors not buying what you're selling can usually be helped by saying "vendor buy" when they run out of money. For some reason it puts more gold in their pockets and you can turn around and start selling again. Note that this trick only works once though. You can't keep repeating it over and over during the same visit, so there is some sort of time mechanics involved as well. Sultan of swing made a post about this a while back here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59872
For the last year-and-a-half, if I find a broke shopkeeper, "vendor buy" has always permitted me to sell my goods, and in relatively short order: maybe I've rarely had to go to 3 or 4 vendors.

That tip should be Wiki'd, or incorporated into a guide and stickied, so that new players can find out about it right away.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: NPC Shopkeeper restocking

Post by Arkon »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:You may have seen this thread, from 2015. I wish to bring attention to the 6th reply, from Markus:
Markus wrote:The issue of vendors not buying what you're selling can usually be helped by saying "vendor buy" when they run out of money. For some reason it puts more gold in their pockets and you can turn around and start selling again. Note that this trick only works once though. You can't keep repeating it over and over during the same visit, so there is some sort of time mechanics involved as well. Sultan of swing made a post about this a while back here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59872
For the last year-and-a-half, if I find a broke shopkeeper, "vendor buy" has always permitted me to sell my goods, and in relatively short order: maybe I've rarely had to go to 3 or 4 vendors.

That tip should be Wiki'd, or incorporated into a guide and stickied, so that new players can find out about it right away.

SS
I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll give it a shot.

Is this bug era accurate though?
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."