Fix LOS bug

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Fix LOS bug

Post by Mens Rea »

Great idea - fix the LOS bug so guilds such as mine can let newbies do some training and macroing in a tower without people exploiting this game breaking bug.

Game breaking bugs are not part of the script for UOSA, get rid of this nonsense and bring people back to UOSA!

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Fix LOS bug

Post by Mens Rea »

"No little Timmy, the guild tower with lockable doors is for looking at only. Do not bring a pack horse in here to practice stealing because it can be killed. Do not bring an NPC in here because it can be killed. Do not train magery, healing, or anything else for that matter, because you will be killed. You want to go to another shard where a guild can offer to a step up in a big house without this game breaking bug? Ok see you later."

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Agree, remove this feature. Killing people dumb enough to stand next to the wall? Cool. Killing someone standing in the middle of their tower, keep, or castle? Lame...
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Have any housing type next to water? Great, it's also vulnerable. Don't bother macroing in those "safe" houses either.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Indeed.

Us people trying to encourage player-player interaction, particularly by way of a guild for new players, find this game breaking bug to be completely out of the spirit of the game and the purpose of the shard.

If you're going to tell me you didn't see groups of people safely training and interacting within the confines of their big, safe buildings then you were not there.

Time to drop this charade and get back to the core, fundamental principles and features of T2A UO. The game breaking LOS bug is not one of them.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

This server is about era accuracy. Cool your jets.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Ill Gates wrote:This server is about era accuracy. Cool your jets.
What programme did people use back in 1999 to replicate this accurate behaviour? I don't think UOAssist had the capacity to do this.

Would have been bannable on OSI, it's game breaking, not 100% certain it was possible in T2A...

This is not era accurate T2A, quite the opposite with the scattered dregs of players on at any given time.

Bring back some rationality to the way this server is maintained - that's Community Development.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

That is a good point mens rea. Just because it was physically possible in era does not necessarily mean it was era accurate. I don't see how this exploit could be replicated with what was legally accessible in era. By the measure of "it was in the code, at some point" we could pull monsters that weren't in the world but were in the code out, could we not? I have heard there are some monsters "in the code" that were not ever in the game during t2a, should we put them into our world because they were technically possible like this LOS Bug?
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

fox_phyre wrote:That is a good point mens rea. Just because it was physically possible in era does not necessarily mean it was era accurate. I don't see how this exploit could be replicated with what was legally accessible in era. By the measure of "it was in the code, at some point" we could pull monsters that weren't in the world but were in the code out, could we not? I have heard there are some monsters "in the code" that were not ever in the game during t2a, should we put them into our world because they were technically possible like this LOS Bug?
Fox,

There was a certain LOS bug that resulted in a lot of people being banned because it was game breaking.

You could use an illegal programme to place boats underneath the water and then sail around all the docks underneath the static items. The items would unlock when you went under them. Then you could put the items into a container, smash the container, and the items would stay there forever.

People could use the same LOS exploit to place boats in the air, too. They could get above houses and fall down inside to loot people's crap.

First, people were banned for the illegal programme. Secondly, people were banned for making the boats. Thirdly, people were banned for having the items obtained using this exploit.

Fourthly, and most importantly, they fixed the exploit even if the exploiter had the illegal programme to use the boat LOS bug.

By analogy, the LOS exploit on UOSA should be removed. It is bizarre to retain an inaccurate 'mechanic' that destroys the playability and accuracy of the game.

The LOS issue is an exploit, it is not a bug. Get rid of it already.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Here's some details: http://www.uoforums.com/topic/37919-ano ... need-info/
Hey all! I started playing UO before day one (my Dad was an original beta tester). Then we got both our accounts banned around late 1998 for flying boats.
Lol I have already been punished for that so the way I see it I have nothing to lose by elaborating... they can't prosecute me twice can they? :P Anyway, I think the program he used was called SourceForge? It might still be around even. What happened was that we started fooling around with this third party program in our own shard, using it to basically customize our own Britannia. We found that certain features of this program actually worked when applied to the actual UO client, not just our player-run shard. One feature was that I could actually change the Y (up/down) coordinate of any "tile" in the UO world and only I could see this going down. We found that one way to take advantage of this funny quirk was to get to otherwise unreachable locations and mark runes to some of the craziest places in UO - mountain tops, server boundaries, etc. The real breakthrough was when we realized we could change the Y coords of water "tiles" as well. This allowed us to place a boat on a pre-decided upon tile, then board the vessel and use the third party program to make our boat exist about 20 tiles "over" the water. Then we could "fly" our boat along the shore and look for towers/castles close enough to the water. Once we found a suitable target, we would jump off and rob the place blind (this is way before anyone at OSI ever thought of secure containers or "I wish to lock this item down" lol). One day, however, an off-duty GM spotted my pops unloading his stolen bounty near the Britain docks...BAM! Insta-banned. Both of his accounts, my uncle's account, and my account (I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time hehe). We tried to appeal multiple times over about 3 or 4 years but they didn't wanna hear it. Finally maybe 5 years later they told us we were "allowed" to buy a new copy of the game and start from scratch, but that our old accounts had been gone for quite some time.

Well now im back again and, thanks to some cool people on this forum and the UO Stratics forum, im back on my feet and having lots of fun playing again. And no cheating this time!
Get rid of LOS bug, it's NEA, broken game, exploit.

Narcissic

Post by Narcissic »

Admins have been over this before. It's not getting fixed. Case closed.

Yeah, I get it. You don't like it. Newbies don't like it. I don't like it. But it's still not getting fixed. I'd like to point you to Lightshade in this matter. He knows as well as any that it's not getting changed now or ever. :)
Derrick wrote: It is not our policy to comment on account actions which are taken against players.

An exception should be made in order to counter dishonesty.
Cavewights accounts were banned for accepting in-game goods for the promise of money.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

It should get removed, it was not part of T2A UO.

Game breaking bugs and exploits should be removed.

With respect, Kaivan didn't play T2A UO, how would he know what it was all about anyway.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Kaivan wrote:It is because some players are demanding that I provide 100% absolute proof of LoS, which is not possible to provide for any mechanic without going back in time and actually showing it in action. All mechanics are to the best of our knowledge, and expecting some greater proof of a mechanic because it is something undesirable is a double standard.

Runebooks are an example of allowing something because it's convenient... Maybe we can disallow killing people in the most desirable and expensive domiciles, you know, for convenience. I see more of an argument to stop LOS bug than to allow runebooks.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
Kaivan wrote:It is because some players are demanding that I provide 100% absolute proof of LoS, which is not possible to provide for any mechanic without going back in time and actually showing it in action. All mechanics are to the best of our knowledge, and expecting some greater proof of a mechanic because it is something undesirable is a double standard.

Runebooks are an example of allowing something because it's convenient... Maybe we can disallow killing people in the most desirable and expensive domiciles, you know, for convenience. I see more of an argument to stop LOS bug than to allow runebooks.
Indeed. Below is a chart of where we have arrived with this issue. Seems to me a no-brainer to get rid of the game-breaking LOS exploit.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

It's a cool bug, leave it in.

Get a less shitty house.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.