Runebooks will not be blessed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Runebooks will not be blessed

Post by Safir »

I use "task-force" runebooks, and I operate from the bank. If I need to visit multiple locations in rapid succession I can deploy one of the runebooks to the field for a brief mission. Most often it's only for non-hostile environment use though.

Just Me

Post by Just Me »

The rune book is a great tool, if used wisely and cared for properly will last a lifetime... However If carried all the time will be lost to pk, or thief eventually. Keep it with you if you must, but then you know you are taking a chance. Hmm seems every day I played I took a chance on being robbed, or pked, OH YEAH! thats what made the t2a era great!!!

I am all for blessed items as t2a allowed for, however I do not believe runebooks were one of those items. I would be against allowing them to be blessed.

as far as an argument for blessing items for server or client error protection...ROFL good luck we all know the disclaimer and that was part of the game as well!!!

Nickm690

Post by Nickm690 »

Heres another archive page about runebooks: http://web.archive.org/web/200003041851 ... nebook.htm

I found this line to be interesting...

"Rune books have no weight. A direct result of that is that a thief cannot steal a rune book by directly targeting it. A rune book can be stolen however if a thief does a random steal from your backpack. "

The article is dated 2/28/2000

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Nickm690 wrote:Heres another archive page about runebooks: http://web.archive.org/web/200003041851 ... nebook.htm

I found this line to be interesting...
That is extremely interesting. And certainly would be accurate if true, which I would assume lacking any evidence to the contrary that it is.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It is very true that runebooks originally had no weight. There are some resources that also show this to be true elsewhere. I'll try to see where the resource is at.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Kaivan wrote:It is very true that runebooks originally had no weight. There are some resources that also show this to be true elsewhere. I'll try to see where the resource is at.
If that is the case, including the part about the inability to steal unless the thief random steals from your backpack, then runebooks should just be done away with. It's one thing that we have runebooks, which are not era-accurate anyway, and as much as I find them completely annoying (because people hold them in their hands, it's essentially like having a thief-proof rune, and truly not in the spirit of T2A), I do understand that they reduce the amount of items on the server as well as provide a great deal of convience. I feel that they should not exist, but changing it so, that it becomes even more thief-proof would be ridiculous. Random steal will almost NEVER get you anything worthwhile, with all the newbie items and bs people horde around in their backpacks, and this almost completely eliminates the chance to steal a rune, a very valuable passtime for thieves, as often, runes can lead to greater loot.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

MatronDeWinter wrote:runebooks, which are not era-accurate anyway
It blows my mind that people are still saying runebooks are not era accurate. Unblessed runebooks are era accurate. On one side, guys ask why we have them, and on the other side they ask why they are not blessed.

It's been posted in response to the statement above many many times, likely a couple times in this thread:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 11/23/1999

eniave

Post by eniave »

It was great to have rune books back then as keeping track of all the runes was not easy. I still keep mine in the bank or locked down in a house, we all considered them invaluable.
LS 1997 - 2003

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Derrick,

Runebooks should be able to be stolen.

Not to mention there were countless changes made to them as time went on. I note on the old Stratics page that runebooks supposedly have grandmaster's mark attached to them too - which is absolute tripe for the era they originally appeared in the game.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

you can steal them still
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

grimsk

Post by grimsk »

WOW ROFL ...

I though runebook were blessed.So the retard of me yesterday purchase a runebook and mark some different place.THinking it's safe i keep my runebook and my spellbook on me and macro for a couple of hours.Just to come back and no more runebook.I'm like wth .. So i open my bank box nothing..

At least spellbook are blessed hahahaha.

I always though runebook were blessed.But i do remember i never had more than 1-2 recall rune on me all the time.

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

So still confused. Runebooks were not supposed to be blessed, but were blessed and remained blessed?

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Caranthir wrote:So still confused. Runebooks were not supposed to be blessed, but were blessed and remained blessed?
YEAH
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

Alex21 wrote:
Caranthir wrote:So still confused. Runebooks were not supposed to be blessed, but were blessed and remained blessed?
YEAH
So if they were always blessed, regardless of OSI's intentions, shouldn't they be blessed here in line with era accuracy? O.o

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Caranthir wrote:
Alex21 wrote:
YEAH
So if they were always blessed, regardless of OSI's intentions, shouldn't they be blessed here in line with era accuracy? O.o
I don't know, i just work here.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.