Horse stamina

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Horse stamina

Post by Faust »

Izual wrote: So we can use the 'era accurarate' argument to defend and deploy changes but we can't use the 'era innacurate' argument to diminish changes? That's what is happening and it is very one sided.
Umm, the two are one in the same...

You are obviously not getting the point. How is saying something that is not era accurate that cannot be era accurate the same as saying something that isn't era accurate that can be era accurate? There have been relatively the same if not more 'era inaccuracies' pointed out and removed compared to implementing era accuracies that didn't remove an inaccuracy at the same time. However, if you included the removal of an inaccuracy it probably 'dwarfs' it by far. Try downloading a RunUO distro package and see how many 'inaccuracies' get removed if you don't think that statement is true.

Again, it's still amazing that some people actually thought this was going to ground people even though this wasn't the case during the era... Ground pvp was a pre-t2a experience and this completely changed when UOE was introduced in mid '98 and became wide spread in late '98 - early '99. At least this was the case on Baja anyway. You were only grounded when you made a huge judgement error by allowing your mount to get attacked after being fatigued.

The only thing that is being 'picked and choosed' when it comes to mechanical accuracy are items that are with in a month of the cut off date.

The 'all follow me' bug existed before the t2a era up all the way past it until the UOR publish... or in other words the ability to do it existed during the ENTIRE era. This isn't anything remotely close to being anywhere near one of the items in the Nov. 23rd, '99 patch. This specific game mechanics is a 100% accurate for the whole era.. and the way it functions is exactly the same since it was extracted from the original osi code....

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

Faust wrote:
Izual wrote: So we can use the 'era accurarate' argument to defend and deploy changes but we can't use the 'era innacurate' argument to diminish changes? That's what is happening and it is very one sided.
You are obviously not getting the point. How is saying something that is not era accurate that cannot be era accurate the same as saying something that isn't era accurate that can be era accurate?
I don't think you really understood what I meant by what I said.

Maybe I should clarify what I meant;
We use the 'era accurate argument' to defend an accurate change that needs to be in.. But we can't use an 'innacurate argument' at all

So I can say "Horse Stamina is accurate! It should be here"

But i can't say "The Event System is innacurate, so that shouldn't be here"

I also didn't think it would fully ground PvP, but maybe make for a more level playing field and allow people on foot to partake in field PvP

Anyway.. That's all I have to say on the matter. I am by no means trying to argue with you, or one up you.

The tribe has spoken

Faust

Post by Faust »

Izual wrote: Maybe I should clarify what I meant;
We use the 'era accurate argument' to defend an accurate change that needs to be in.. But we can't use an 'innacurate argument' at all

So I can say "Horse Stamina is accurate! It should be here"

But i can't say "The Event System is innacurate, so that shouldn't be here"
That was my understanding of your response and my response to that was...
Faust wrote:How is saying something that is not era accurate that cannot be era accurate the same as saying something that isn't era accurate that can be era accurate?
Also, in my response there was mention of this situation happening a lot.. To clarify some specifics... For example, being able to lock down stackles in the current house system is inaccurate. Being able to lockdown keys on your steps is inaccurate. One that hasn't been fixed... being able to lock items down on steps in a house such as my steps is not era accurate. There have been hundreds if not thousands of fixes where someone said "this isn't era accurate" in the past couple years...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Izual wrote:But i can't say "The Event System is inaccurate, so that shouldn't be here"
Opinions may vary on this, but I tend to agree with this statement, however along with some other much more profane inaccuracies it's here presently. I didn't want to continue the discussion on this, but i do want to point out that I have never invalidated this argument; i just would not use this argument to justify making more things inaccurate (not that I'm saying you are making that point, this is just a clarification of my opinion)
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano »

Derrick wrote:In case it was missed in countless other threads, 100% mechanical accuracy is the stated goal of UOSA. We do and will sweat the small stuff; but I don't see how anyone could consider this a small issue.

I consider it a small issue because everyone knows UO is based on 2 main things: PvP and PvM. So either you want mounts to be a valuable asset or you don't. Why go through all the trouble of crippling them to the point where they would only cause frustration? Why not just get rid of them? Sure players can rely on "bugs" that were active during this time period to get a temporary feeling of security, but with the use of Razor anyone can make a macro to attack the players mount, which WILL ground them regardless of whether or not their opponent is grounded. To me it seems more like the person with the fastest finger is going to gain the advantage using a program that ISN'T T2a accurate...just doesn't make sense to me. It seems more like this system will become a "huge" issue in the future.

bismuth

Post by bismuth »

Lucky Luciano wrote:
Derrick wrote:In case it was missed in countless other threads, 100% mechanical accuracy is the stated goal of UOSA. We do and will sweat the small stuff; but I don't see how anyone could consider this a small issue.

I consider it a small issue because everyone knows UO is based on 2 main things: PvP and PvM. So either you want mounts to be a valuable asset or you don't. Why go through all the trouble of crippling them to the point where they would only cause frustration? Why not just get rid of them? Sure players can rely on "bugs" that were active during this time period to get a temporary feeling of security, but with the use of Razor anyone can make a macro to attack the players mount, which WILL ground them regardless of whether or not their opponent is grounded. To me it seems more like the person with the fastest finger is going to gain the advantage using a program that ISN'T T2a accurate...just doesn't make sense to me. It seems more like this system will become a "huge" issue in the future.
The person who does less running around has the advantage in pvp. That means the person who is more confident in their abilities, and does not have to run off screen or around corners.

Get rid of them? That is ridiculous and there is no coherent logic behind it. That sounds like "if mounts arent useful for me to be a coward in pvp then NOBODY should be allowed to have them!"

I found it very satisfying on OSI shards to have someone running for their life run out of stamina, hop off their horse and start saying "all follow me", only for you to attack the horse preventing a remount and making them a sitting duck for you to finish off. I am glad they have fixed this inaccuracy.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano »

Faust wrote: Again, it's still amazing that some people actually thought this was going to ground people even though this wasn't the case during the era... Ground pvp was a pre-t2a experience and this completely changed when UOE was introduced in mid '98 and became wide spread in late '98 - early '99. At least this was the case on Baja anyway. You were only grounded when you made a huge judgement error by allowing your mount to get attacked after being fatigued.
"Judgement error" back in the day VS a one key macro using Razor today

By far two completely gapped scenarios...

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano »

bismuth wrote:
Lucky Luciano wrote:

The person who does less running around has the advantage in pvp. That means the person who is more confident in their abilities, and does not have to run off screen or around corners.

Get rid of them? That is ridiculous and there is no coherent logic behind it. That sounds like "if mounts arent useful for me to be a coward in pvp then NOBODY should be allowed to have them!"

I found it very satisfying on OSI shards to have someone running for their life run out of stamina, hop off their horse and start saying "all follow me", only for you to attack the horse preventing a remount and making them a sitting duck for you to finish off. I am glad they have fixed this inaccuracy.
Again this doesn't revolve solely around PvP. Of course it'll be an advantage to those who sit on their computers at home for hours at a time playing this game versus those of us that don't...but what about those that do not go out looking for a fight and would like to have some remote chance of escaping if an aggressor does show?

All it takes is one key and a macro...

Faust

Post by Faust »

Razor still has room for error...

Mechanical accuracy will not be negated even for Razor.

Please search through past discussions on the topic.

bismuth

Post by bismuth »

Just recall if you aren't trying to pvp and want to escape.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

"razor makes it not era accurate!" is the worst argument to makes things even more inaccurate
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano »

nightshark wrote:"razor makes it not era accurate!" is the worst argument to makes things even more inaccurate

This was never an argument...I am just stating opinion. Either way the dice roll I am all for it regardless of the outcome or effect.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

I remember the bank box closing when my char hopped off and fed his horse, and then got back on the horse, while at the bank.

Did I dream that?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I remember the bank box closing when my char hopped off and fed his horse, and then got back on the horse, while at the bank.

Did I dream that?
I did a quick test in the demo. Getting off your horse has no effect on your bank box. Getting on the horse will close it.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Batlin wrote:I did a quick test in the demo. Getting off your horse has no effect on your bank box. Getting on the horse will close it.
Thanks! I can't even begin to tell you how much that was bugging me. (Not that much.)