Horse stamina

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Horse stamina

Post by Derrick »

A proposed adjustment to fatigue rate is now live on test center.

Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Looks good as far as the length u can run. The issue is being able to completely refresh the horse by taking .5 seconds to hop off/on it. I'm pretty sure it required you feeding the mount to get its stamina back up.

I remember being kicked off a horse and losing loyalty if I kept trying to run it while fatigued.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

RoseRIP wrote:Looks good as far as the length u can run. The issue is being able to completely refresh the horse by taking .5 seconds to hop off/on it. I'm pretty sure it required you feeding the mount to get its stamina back up.

I remember being kicked off a horse and losing loyalty if I kept trying to run it while fatigued.
Agree, you couldn't just hop off and back on to refresh it. Most definitely had to give it an apple or two, or it would eventually just buck you off and lose loyalty as you said.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The 'all follow me' bug is a well documented feature of this era and wasn't fixed until the UOR publish.

The code exists inside of the original OSI code too.

The problem isn't this bug to be honest and it's actually the ability to remount when the animal is in combat. A player that didn't hop off and back on quick enough was pretty much doomed when the mount was attacked. Combine this with the 'stop' command fix that hasn't been implemented as of now yet and it's game over for any attempt at remounting.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Does the all follow me bug affect the horses loyalty too? Granted I was quite the newb during the era, but I remember having to constantly feed my horse.

I also remember apples/peaches being a pretty standard piece of gear....perhaps it was simply the lack of knowledge about the bug (thus they were maybe used to refresh stam), but I also remember horses going wild much more often...I thought the food helped to prevent this. As it is...I've never had a horse go wild on me here.
- Elisud

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

benny- wrote:Does the all follow me bug affect the horses loyalty too? Granted I was quite the newb during the era, but I remember having to constantly feed my horse.

I also remember apples/peaches being a pretty standard piece of gear....perhaps it was simply the lack of knowledge about the bug (thus they were maybe used to refresh stam), but I also remember horses going wild much more often...I thought the food helped to prevent this. As it is...I've never had a horse go wild on me here.
I believe this was in UOR. The All Follow Me bug did not exist in UOR, so the only ways to up a mount's stamina was to either feed it or stand still with it.

I'll also add, and this is subject to the flaws of my memory, and probably UOR time period as well, but, I thought horses lost loyalty while you rode them, as time goes on, as though you were apart from them. For example, on our shard here, as back in the day, if you are out of your pet's line of sight, they lose loyalty. Now we know a horse has a 100% chance of accepting a command from someone with 0% animal taming and 0% animal lore, but that is at Wonderfully Happy. When a horse got down below that, like Happy or Content, it might not obey your command on the first try.

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

This may have just been superstition on my part, but I seem to remember horses going wild quicker when I relied solely on using the "all follow me" bug to refresh my horses' stamina.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Currently on test, you do not need to say "all follow me" to refresh the stamina, just a simple hop on and off.
benny- wrote:Does the all follow me bug affect the horses loyalty too? Granted I was quite the newb during the era, but I remember having to constantly feed my horse.
Like dragons that don't listen to a GM tamer unless they have just been fed, a warrior with 0 taming would experience the same with horses. So if you have not fed your horse in some time, then the "all follow me" command should not work, hence the reason people carried apples around.

Currently anyone with 0 taming can issue an endless amount of commands to their horse without failing once, even if the steed is hungry.

That plus the "all stop" thing Faust talked about should be implemented imo.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There are quite a few changes to AI currently on test center, including the changes to the stop command described here and elsewhere.

I'll do a full writeup on this once I can get test center set up so that this stuff can actually be tested. I probably need to spawn a dungeon there.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

RoseRIP wrote:Currently on test, you do not need to say "all follow me" to refresh the stamina, just a simple hop on and off.
This was actually something that was discovered in the original code itself, and should exist on both the real server and test. The common concept back in the day was to hop off and say 'all follow me' but that wasn't the trigger that actually refreshed the mounts stamina. The bug was based on the horse being in follow mode and once the animal is mounted causing the stamina to refresh. This probably has something to do with the mount going from a single mobile to more of a merger with the PC itself since once the animal is mounted it's no longer considered a mobile until the person hops off of it again.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

So Faust is saying that the horse I was using was already in follow mode, so when I hopped off the horse, it auto triggered the follow command on me therefore refreshing its stamina.

Ok, entirely possible, but this brings up another bug in my mind... When Mounting/Dismounting as well as Stabling/Claiming your pet, from what I remember pets should re-set to the "all stop" command.

It was not just a simple hop off and on your horse.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

RoseRIP wrote:So Faust is saying that the horse I was using was already in follow mode, so when I hopped off the horse, it auto triggered the follow command on me therefore refreshing its stamina.

Ok, entirely possible, but this brings up another bug in my mind... When Mounting/Dismounting as well as Stabling/Claiming your pet, from what I remember pets should re-set to the "all stop" command.

It was not just a simple hop off and on your horse.
Then how come you could put your horse in follow mode, and have it follow you if you died. The stamina bug specifically says to say "all follow me" to regain the stamina. I think that the horse already being in follow mode would not refill it's stamina. Just a guess

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Then how come you could put your horse in follow mode, and have it follow you if you died. The stamina bug specifically says to say "all follow me" to regain the stamina. I think that the horse already being in follow mode would not refill it's stamina. Just a guess
Good point about the ghost following thing. Whatever the case, there is something wrong with being able to refresh your steed without even saying all follow me.

The orneriness of mounts to players with 0 taming definitely needs to be adjusted so its harder to control, food needs to play a factor here.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Well im all for the removal of horses as a common factor of global pvp, means only place they might be useful for pvp is in dungeons =P
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:
Stuck wrote:I messed around on the demo a bit and came up with these numbers:

Running at full speed on a horse for around 265 tiles gives you the fatigued message.
If you run for 30 tiles after that, making a total of 295 tiles, your horse gets so fatigued it can't move.
Don't forget that weight plays a role in the rate the stamina is loss too.
Does weight affect the rate in the demo?