Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
yossarian
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by yossarian »

Psilo, I would like to see a poll on this. I know that it does not really matter what the majority thinks, but I'm curious.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

No one is being forced to use anything, if you wish to communicate in-game there are many ACCURATE ways. Case closed, it's really that simple, whether you think the exploits are a problem or not.
So we should have to use In-gamer Chat system, which again takes away from the atmosphere of the game since it's a CHAT ROOM like IRC. It's big and ugly, why not keep guild chat so people can send a simple message "we're at GH". That's ALL they needed it for, TO SEND ONE MESSAGE.

No one wants to use UO chat system it sucks and won't catch on, Comm crystals are hardly newbie friendly and yea you have to link them LOL, a whole guild of mostly newbies can't be carrying that 24-7.

You guys are being too zealous about accuracy that's going to damage the community, and here we have automated trammel events still happening every other freaking hour while you guys obsess over something that is good for the shard.

You know OSI would have eventually implemented this if the mechanics stayed like 1999's.

Everyone in this thread is being biased, I'm actually trying to look at it from the viewpoint of newbies. Obviously I'm not a newbie, but since I play the game I know what sorta community this shard has. This server has LOTS of newbies! Now is the worst time to take this away, and none of you people that have 15 mill and blessed clothing really care of course. This doesn't impact you.

:?
Last edited by Psilo on Sat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Psilo wrote:
No one is being forced to use anything, if you wish to communicate in-game there are many ACCURATE ways. Case closed, it's really that simple, whether you think the exploits are a problem or not.
So we should have to use In-gamer Chat system, which again takes away from the atmosphere of the game since it's a CHAT ROOM like IRC.

No one wants to use that, Comm crystals are hardly newbie friendly and yea you have to link them LOL, a whole guild of mostly newbies can't be carrying that 24-7.
So you don't like the accurate ways of communicating because they take away from the atmosphere and aren't newbie friendly? First, let's be honest with ourselves: It's being removed, regardless of what anyone says in this topic.

I'm just trying to comfort the fall for some, you can deny the exploits all you want but many of us run into them daily. How many tamers farm with 2 archer bots now, and have a gate bot on the party message ready? This isn't me making things up.

Anyone "botting" from this patch-forth will clearly be cheating and risking their privelege of playing here.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

Hemperor wrote: So we should force two inaccurate systems that carry a bundle of exploits with them onto everyone else? Come on now.

You really think that free communication is a problem in any way shape or form knowing full well all it will accomplish is an inconvenience for all the normal players? Only a minority of botters will be affected. Namely the ones that were too stupid to come up with the ideas on their own. The simple fact of the matter is that players that took advantage of the cumbersome chat system to produce a bot were intelligent enough to find a way to accomplish a task. With party chat gone they will just use a different method of triggering certain events, and you damn well know it.

And again, double domination, capture the flag, game master controlled events RARELY IF EVER occurred. In fact, there never were GM controlled tournaments. I played on Atlantic for years, my shard rarely ever had any events of any kind that were not controlled by the players themselves. Additionally, not a single town in the entire server had their own customized GM added items of any kind.

So we're already era-inaccurate and it's administratively endorsed.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Xaelin wrote:
Hemperor wrote: So we should force two inaccurate systems that carry a bundle of exploits with them onto everyone else? Come on now.

You really think that free communication is a problem in any way shape or form knowing full well all it will accomplish is an inconvenience for all the normal players? Only a minority of botters will be affected. Namely the ones that were too stupid to come up with the ideas on their own. The simple fact of the matter is that players that took advantage of the cumbersome chat system to produce a bot were intelligent enough to find a way to accomplish a task. With party chat gone they will just use a different method of triggering certain events, and you damn well know it.

And again, double domination, capture the flag, game master controlled events RARELY IF EVER occurred. In fact, there never were GM controlled tournaments. I played on Atlantic for years, my shard rarely ever had any events of any kind that were not controlled by the players themselves. Additionally, not a single town in the entire server had their own customized GM added items of any kind.

There is no intelligence involved. These "botters" are not hackers or programmers.
It's as simple as "If SysMessage = "GATE" Cast Gate Travel" or whatever it may be. There were most definitely GM run events back on OSI and player run towns, however that is really off topic and should be taken elsewhere. I just want to point out that something "game breaking" comes up every month or second month and it's always the same argument. Some of the players defending it in this topic are KNOWN abusers!

Psilo's problem with ALT+T In-game chat is that it "looks" like IRC to him. Ridiculous. It functions better than party or guild chat and there are no ways to exploit it.

I look forward to playing much more once these systems are removed.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

again,
I vote for the era accurate thing to do!
there will always be a group of people that dislike some of the changes,
we have seen this in the past! but the server lives on. and gets stronger everyday.

the biggest reason we are getting stronger is because Derrick has stuck to his guns on his era accuracy goal. regardless. its just too bad that there isn't a way to do it ALL over night!

your doing a great job Derrick!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Hemperor wrote: I'm just trying to comfort the fall for some, you can deny the exploits all you want but many of us run into them daily. How many tamers farm with 2 archer bots now, and have a gate bot on the party message ready? This isn't me making things up.
Actually it is. Those numbers are very small. But nobody should be surprised that a conspiracy theory nutbag like yourself would exaggerate.

Look, it's going away. There really isn't much that can be done I'm afraid. I appreciate all of the things you say Psilo but it's a losing battle. For the record, I will say that once guild chat is gone, my game play experience will be worse. Chatting and laughing in game with my guildmates is a lot of fun, and 99% of the time it's just us "lol-ing" at the funny things happening around us. It's too bad, but I'm sure we will figure out a way to make up for it.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

How often it happens is strictly your opinion. Thieves do not experience much or get told of things like these happening. I have plenty of friends on this shard alone that do these things, nevermind the countless other guilds. The amount of people doing it isn't relevant either, whether it's 1 person cheating or 1000, it should be avoided.

Continue the name calling and this "conspiracy nut" will stick to the facts, logic and procedure of how things are run on this shard.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I have to admit, I find the hypocritical thought process of "REMOVE EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T ERA ACCURATE unless we use it ourselves and don't want to lose the feature" that some people seem to have here to be amusing.

I also think it's quite pathetic that people here seem to think that any other playstyle besides peeveepee is considered Trammy when the reality is, this little chat feature is more Trammy than doing things like crafting. The facts are that there were many types of playstyles back in T2A besides people just having a free-for-all kill spree, but most of you probably don't know that because you were in diapers when T2A was out and have a skewed idea of what the game was truly like back then.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if this feature remains in the game or not. I'm just sick of all the era accuracy moaning and bitching about things like automated events.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

SirChandestroy

Post by SirChandestroy »

Xaelin wrote: And again, double domination, capture the flag, game master controlled events RARELY IF EVER occurred. In fact, there never were GM controlled tournaments. I played on Atlantic for years, my shard rarely ever had any events of any kind that were not controlled by the players themselves. Additionally, not a single town in the entire server had their own customized GM added items of any kind.

Tournaments and such were rare indeed. There were events in spurts, but they didn't happen on a regular basis, and many were announced just as they happened.

But you are pretty much completely wrong about towns having customized GM added items of any kind. The only thing correct in your statement was that they weren't actually GM added, they were added by Seers.

I posted the links that show this to be wrong in another thread, here is a link to that thread:

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=30

Here are the pictures though, all on Atlantic where I played for many years:

This is the Fogwood Stables, all of the stuff in there was added by seers and you could stable your horse:

Next we have the Serpent Cross Tavern, directly in front of the stable:

Then you have Leiah's Rune Library, where crates of runes were locked down by the Seers after the building had been looted a couple of times. (You can tell the age of this building by the TENT in front of it!!!) My guild built the town of Elysium basically around this library.

There were other spots as well.

For example, the West Yew University had a Working Ferry added by the Seers!

The Atlantic Mage Tower had the jumping dolphin and much, much more!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

I still think its bizarre that people still think 'Because that other thing I think is inaccurate its ok if this is inaccurate!!' is an argument or a reason to not change something.
Mephilic wrote:Guild chat should be kept
Mephilic wrote: But what I am trying to get to is that to be truly "accurate" your going to need to remove all "inaccuracies"
Xaelin wrote:require the two people to meet and link them together
God forbid people may actually have to meet up in game to communicate with each other :/
Psilo wrote:none of you people that have 15 mill and blessed clothing really care of course. This doesn't impact you
stop saying garbage like this, it doesnt further your point and is insulting to the veterans who have spent two years helping develop the shard. Of course changes in game affect veterans.

You are again saying the main points of getting rid of these chat systems is that the in game alternatives that already exist are inconvenient.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

God forbid people may actually have to meet up in game to communicate with each other :/
You act as if the same people who don't interact with each other are going to change when this goes through. Instead of looking at UO and typing /<message> to say something. They will maximize IRC to send people messages about stuff. All this means is less play-time from players. Instead of sitting at a bank typing /message that person will be in their house standing AFK using IRC since you can't sit at a bank and use IRC unless you want your goods stolen or killed. The people who don't like interacting with players aren't going to change. This doesn't affect them really. Guilds that have lots of new players are especially affected.

I suppose you wouldn't care since your guild isn't much of a community to begin with, it has random people and half of them you don't even know their alts and I bet your guild members pk you every chance they get. :wink:

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I think Hemperor vastly overstates the amount of actual trouble the guild chat system causes. Regardless, it appears to be unquestionably inaccurate. And there are plenty of alternatives to it, including ones used back in 1999! (I downloaded ICQ solely for communicating with others in UO, for example). Why people are so against removing it is beyond me. I realize the convenience factor, but hitting ALT-TAB to go to the IRC page seems pretty easy.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Psilo wrote: I suppose you wouldn't care since your guild isn't much of a community to begin with, it has random people and half of them you don't even know their alts and I bet your guild members pk you every chance they get. :wink:
heaven forbid you stay on topic instead of lashing out at people who don't agree with you

You can continue to argue that the fact that because we (veterans) have invested so much time and effort into this server for the last two years, that means very obviously that we hate the server and the people on it and want to see it fail. OR you could debate the points of the argument not the person.

There are many options for people to communicate with each other aside from a global guild spam system. At no time during era could you simply type' [g everyone to guildhouse!' and everyone had a message spammed across their game window.

you needed to be at least somewhat coordinated with your communication, play times, meet times etc.

As far as 'guilds will be at a disadvantage that use guildchat now'. This isn't a real argument. Ex. People working smithing now are at a massive disadvantage to people who trained smithing in feb 2008. should we have not fixed smithing because it was unfair to people coming afterward? of course not. It was changed because it was the goal of the shard. Not changing things that are obviously wrong because it will make it harder isnt a real reason.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Haha it was just a little joke Blackfoot.

Anyway.... I'm done here because there is nothing else I can say that already hasn't been said!

It's all up to Derrick, after he reads this thread I'm sure he'll be able to make the best decision. No one is going to quit regardless of the decision, but things are certainly going to be different for our 300-IP's-on population!