Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Corbin

Re: Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by Corbin »

Psilo wrote:Derrick, I sincerely believe we need to focus on other things that effect large amounts of our players like PVP mechanics. We need to focus on making sure insta-hit works next patch.

Removing guild chat can wait, or not happen at all. Please!
Removing guild chat wouldn't be a difficult change to make and I am all for it to be honest, as well as the party system. Neither of these were in T2A and they give players an advantage that didn't exist.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

lastdragon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by lastdragon »

:(
Last edited by lastdragon on Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Corbin wrote:
Psilo wrote:Derrick, I sincerely believe we need to focus on other things that effect large amounts of our players like PVP mechanics. We need to focus on making sure insta-hit works next patch.

Removing guild chat can wait, or not happen at all. Please!
Removing guild chat wouldn't be a difficult change to make and I am all for it to be honest, as well as the party system. Neither of these were in T2A and they give players an advantage that didn't exist.
Guild chat doesn't give any advantage you couldn't do in t2a. People used the phone, roger wilco.

And now people have ventrilo, which is even better than roger wilco and the phone. People can say "DECEIT ENTRANCE NOW" and have 4 of their friends with them in seconds.

That's not even possible with guild chat, you have to type and you'd be using one hand because you'd be using your mouse to run depending on the circumstance!

Anyway, era accuracy is the only argument you guys have against my proposal to not remove a function that allows people to experience UO without having to switch between programs. But it's a poor argument when we're talking about a shard that has Silver trophy point system and automated events. That's not era accurate, at all and is extremely contradictory. Events/silver is like the most inaccurate thing you can put in this shard, it didn't even exist in UOR or UO Samaurai. Just goes to show you the EXTENT of how inaccurate automated events and the trophy point eye candy system is.

Let's keep Guild Chat in for the sake of those that use it, the communities of UOSA. Many of you who are arguing against me in this thread don't even know that there are people that actually play this server, you spend far too much time in trammel event areas and IRC.

If we want this shard to continue to grow and succeed I believe we're going to need to be careful what we change for Era Accuracy.

I am all for era accuracy, and want everything else accurate. I don't think minor changes that negatively affect the community and game immersion in such a substantial way is a good idea. Accurate or not, if this change goes through this will be the next thing to chop the community in half even more since tournaments and CTF.
Last edited by Psilo on Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 am, edited 12 times in total.

lastdragon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by lastdragon »

Hi i wanna say removing guild chat and party chat is very bad ... i could say that 70% of UOSA player dont use Ventrilo or IRC chat ... why removing someting that facilite the communication ?

There is many many other thing that are not era accurate ...

a bit exemple .. Razor ... in 99 there was no Razor ... no uber macro and thing like this u were using macro via UO that it ..
Tourney ? No tourney in 99 .. no silver rewards whit unique stuff of bless deed !

For myself if there is no guild chat or party chat .. i can say that i wont play alot ..

exemple if i have 1h or 1:30 to play and i wanna go PK or pvp ... it will take me 30 min just to form a party to do something .. running everywhere to find guildmate just sux !

we are in 2010 .. let keep thing fun at least !

I vote keep guild chat and party chat !

no guild chat and party chat ?? this will just give a hudge advantage for those player who use Ventrilo or Irc ...

in 99 there was no ventrilo to ..

for all of you .. who say yaa it good to remove guild chat and party chat ... u guys are just trader merchant or trammi who stay in ur house and dont pvp !

Peace !

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

AL+T = ingame chat. "THE SKY IS FALLING" problem solved...

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Hemperor wrote:AL+T = ingame chat. "THE SKY IS FALLING" problem solved...
The hilarious thing is chat was HARDLY used on OSI because it's incredibly buggy, big, ugly and it just never caught on. Very few people were seen in channels because people were too busy playing the game as we all should be. IRC and vent is boring!

What's interesting is that the same people that say "take guild chat out it's not era accurate" are the same people that don't really play much in-game and are usually found in IRC, trading forum or Trammelized event zones wearing yellow deer masks. Like I said before, the guilds that play DO converge together and don't play solo, DESPITE having guild chat available.

It annoys me when people who don't play in-game try to act like they know our community and population.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Psilo wrote: It annoys me when people who don't play in-game try to act like they know our community and population.
Strongly agree.

I like guild chat, because it is a less efficient alternative to vent, and I dont want to be forced into using other programs, windows. If you want the 2-3 people using bots to stop, just change the guild-chat type to the same packets that party messages use. You cannot script with party messages. I honestly wouldnt even be in IRC if it wasnt such a good way to find players in-game, without it, the world seems like a ghost town because everyone is macroing, or logging in for events only.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I play this shard quite often actually, not that it is relevant to the topic whatsoever. I have also played this shard far longer than you and have seen how the exploitations of these systems have slowly evolved. I don't play nearly as much as I used to simply because of it, the blatant exploitation and increasing use of "bots" is not how I remember any form of OSI, let alone T2A.

Ingame chat works just fine. It serves the same purpose that you are crying over losing. Party and guild chat are inaccurate and easily exploited. You really have no clue how much they are exploited, you think the hundreds of ghosts on the shard are just sitting there dormant? No, they run looping macros to detect whatever the owner is looking for and when spotted send party/guild messages. This is only one of many ways the system is abused.

Once again, removing these systems will further our accuracy and remove the possibility of many exploits. In-game chat is there for those who do not wish to communicate through other programs.

EDIT: Matron, I find it funny that a self admitted exploiter of these systems has come here to defend it! The balls on you!

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i vote keep guild/party chat

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

There are too many posts in this thread to read all of them, so if this has been covered then forgive me.

It seems to me the idea that a communication system is being "exploited" is asinine, simply because guild chat and party chat is cumbersome in it's current implementation. It only functions realistically as a simple guild and party communication system, complex synchronization through macros could easily be done through various other programs even with it's removal. Namely, how the hell are you going to stop someone from loading Ventrillo, simply holding a chat button, counting to three, and synchronizing a dump on one target? In real combat, stopping to count to 3 in party chat is going to get you killed.

For a shard of such a small size, it's in our worst interest to make it harder for players to congregate and communicate with each other inside the confines of the client it's self. We should promote more communication and community through improved chat functions. Not obliterate them under the guise of "It's not era accurate and people exploit it"

The problem every one has with guild and party chat isn't that it's being exploited. They have a problem with VOICE COMMUNICATION. If you ever actually did group combat in an organized guild, you would realize they use Ventrillo. The only people this will hurt are small groups of people that don't utilize a dedicated or community server for voice chat enabled services.

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

Guild and party chat never existed during T2A so they are going to be removed.

The in-game chat system (accessible with the "Chat" button in your Papderdoll) is a viable alternative. I can't seem to find it on my client, which kind of sucks. Some other methods include ICQ, AIM, IRC, Vent, Skype and many, many others. Most importantly, however, this is going to make a demand for Communication Crystals.

Communication Crystals Explained

Learn to make use of the "whisper" function if you wish to use these.

GM-Run events happened during T2A so they are era accurate and are never going to be removed. The fact that they are "automated" here is merely a policy decision on the part of the staff, which is a separate agenda from mechanical accuracy. This is also the reason why AFK macroing is allowed.

There is a difference between accuracy based on OSI's policies versus their game mechanics. I welcome this change and look forward to purchasing a communication crystal from my nearest jeweler.
"In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and good night."

Mephilic

Post by Mephilic »

Guild chat should be kept. I have to agree with the CTF being inaccurate. I mean if your going to go through all the trouble of making every little thing "T2A accurate" The good and the bad, then you should just as well remove CTF and other events. Because after all the ultimate goal is to be "T2A Accurate" then lets just fix everything then.

I personally despise the whole "T2A accuracy" but it has its pluses ... sorta. But hey i don't run this shard so its not really my say. But what I am trying to get to is that to be truly "accurate" your going to need to remove all "inaccuracies"
Last edited by Mephilic on Sat May 22, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faust

Post by Faust »

No point in arguing this... it will eventually be removed, it's not accurate and creates a huge amount of exploits on top of that.

Would highly suggest migrating to another form of communication to avoid any abrupt disruption when it does happen.

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

Blackbeard wrote:Guild and party chat never existed during T2A so they are going to be removed.

The in-game chat system (accessible with the "Chat" button in your Papderdoll) is a viable alternative. I can't seem to find it on my client, which kind of sucks. Some other methods include ICQ, AIM, IRC, Vent, Skype and many, many others. Most importantly, however, this is going to make a demand for Communication Crystals.

GM-Run events happened during T2A so they are era accurate and are never going to be removed. The fact that they are "automated" here is merely a policy decision on the part of the staff, which is a separate agenda from mechanical accuracy. This is also the reason why AFK macroing is allowed.

There is a difference between accuracy based on OSI's policies versus their game mechanics. I welcome this change and look forward to purchasing a communication crystal from my nearest jeweler.

First and foremost, GM controlled events did occur. However there were never capture the flag, double domination, or separated arenas. Nor were there ever any events without the risk of losing EVERYTHING you had on your character.

Additionally, communication crystals are not a viable alternative, are prone to failure, and require the two people to meet and link them together for them to function properly.

I still assert that the smaller the shard, the more important it is for communication to be freely and readily available without the use of ridiculous gimmick items. We want people to play together, we want them to be able to log on, say "Hey anyone online?" and for someone to say "Yeah, let's go do X or Y"

Not everyone uses IRC, ICQ, MSN, Ventrillo, RW, ETC. We should not force them to.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Xaelin wrote:
Blackbeard wrote:Guild and party chat never existed during T2A so they are going to be removed.

First and foremost, GM controlled events did occur. However there were never capture the flag, double domination, or separated arenas. Nor were there ever any events without the risk of losing EVERYTHING you had on your character.

Additionally, communication crystals are not a viable alternative, are prone to failure, and require the two people to meet and link them together for them to function properly.

I still assert that the smaller the shard, the more important it is for communication to be freely and readily available without the use of ridiculous gimmick items. We want people to play together, we want them to be able to log on, say "Hey anyone online?" and for someone to say "Yeah, let's go do X or Y"

Not everyone uses IRC, ICQ, MSN, Ventrillo, RW, ETC. We should not force them to.
So we should force two inaccurate systems that carry a bundle of exploits with them onto everyone else? Come on now.

No one is being forced to use anything, if you wish to communicate in-game there are many ACCURATE ways. Case closed, it's really that simple, whether you think the exploits are a problem or not.