Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Blackbeard

Re: Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by Blackbeard »

son wrote:NEA
"In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and good night."

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

We have automated events why don't we have UOR housing?
We have automated events why don't we have Ethereal Mounts?

One inaccurate thing is here why shouldn't this other inaccurate thing be here?

This is not a very good argument, because if it were held to be true you could apply it to any given subject of inaccuracy. Even if you don't like them IRC and instant messengers are available to organize guilds.

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

I agree with Psilo whole-heartedly.

Removing guild chat is going to force more people into irc and ventrillo, and will force many just to leave this game altogether because most people don't want to use those programs. Not to mention it will take away from players actually being in-game.
IRC is already full of this shards "vet click" and honestly, I try to stay out of it because of the amount of trash talk and nonsense it brings.

How many times do you log into irc, see tons of people, yet the dungeons and towns are EMPTY?
Why increase this?

Even though it seems that the vets and celebrities on this shard represent the opinion of the majority, this is not the case. Many players are strictly in-game players, and want to remain that way.
Not to mention this will alienate newer players and newer guilds that don't use irc or vent at all. Guilds that use vent and are good with it are going to have an even bigger advantage over newer guilds now too.
How many times has anyone had a 2 on 2 with mYm in the woods north of Destard, or some other remote location, only to have 1 more show up in 15 seconds? I'm not saying this is wrong, but taking our measly guild chat for "help in destard" is going to make the non vent/irc users getting help impossible, whereas guilds like mYm will still pounce with all their might.

Also, Psilo isn't using events to justify keeping guild chat. He is simply giving an example...
If we can make an exception on era-accuracy for events, why can't we make an exception for guild chat?

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

In my original post I forgot to mention much about Ventrilo.

Yes I want to emphasize that many guilds, especially pvp and pk guilds use vent.

If you take out guild chat then you force people(who aren't as hardcore as pvpers or are just bards in a guild) to use ventrilo which many feel takes away the atmosphere of the game. Guild chat allows people who don't use ventrilo to call in help if 4 pks arrive in a dungeon and are after you spamming lightning wands and greater explosion potions. Pks are going to be using ventrilo regardless, so it's really taking out the only option that allows a not-so-pvp-oriented guild to counter a pk attack or get their guy to safety. I really want to put the emphasis on keeping a feature like this which helps newbies and non-pvp guilds level out with ventrilo users. I think newbies make up a huge amount of the active playerbase, more than people believe.

The people that have to use IRC(with lack of guild chat) will have to switch windows so clearly if you weren't already in a party(which has the most buggy and ugly health bars btw) then you're forced to run or recall.

Guild chat must stay in for the shard's well being. Without the ease of community converging the shard is even less newbie friendly and even more PK friendly than it already is. And don't mention 1999, because at least in 1999 pks couldn't roam a dungeon with such ease. Back then at least on Lake Superior were filled with blue mages that were as good or better at pvp looking for you and standing around/dueling each other.

The times have changed, we must keep guild chat my friends!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

I just read all the posts after my post and it really feels like people didn't read any single thing i said :<
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Mary Read wrote:I agree... I find it funny events and the likes are allowed but something like guild chat is going to get booted.

Makes zero sense to me.
Do you have any reasoning to this post?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

iamantitype wrote:I agree with Psilo whole-heartedly.

Removing guild chat is going to force more people into irc and ventrillo,
Thats just not true.. its not going to force anyone to do anything.
iamantitype wrote:
Not to mention it will take away from players actually being in-game.
IRC is already full of this shards "vet click" and honestly
How many times do you log into irc, see tons of people, yet the dungeons and towns are EMPTY?
Why increase this?
Making people actually meet up in game to converse will actually decrease this.
I think removal of the guild chat will do the exact opposite of what you think it will.
iamantitype wrote: Even though it seems that the vets and celebrities on this shard represent the opinion of the majority, this is not the case. Many players are strictly in-game players, and want to remain that way.
How does forcing people to group and converse in the actual game make people not play in game?
iamantitype wrote: How many times has anyone had a 2 on 2 with mYm in the woods north of Destard, or some other remote location, only to have 1 more show up in 15 seconds? I'm not saying this is wrong, but taking our measly guild chat for "help in destard" is going to make the non vent/irc users getting help impossible, whereas guilds like mYm will still pounce with all their might.
This is actually a function of razors positioning system and uoam's server system. Not ventrilo.

iamantitype wrote: If we can make an exception on era-accuracy for events, why can't we make an exception for guild chat?
This is the exact type of argument that needs to be completely avoided on these forums because of reasons stated multiple times above.

Personally, our guild UoH, uses guild chat. It is just one of many ways our guild communicates. Our guild stretches from brand new to UO players to decades old veterans. All of these players seem to manage to communicate with each other. Guild chat is something that is a convenience but in the end is not necessary for players to talk to each other in game. I am indifferent to whether it stays or is removed, but there should at least be some convincing reasons why it should stay in the face of inaccuracy other than, 'we don't want to communicate with our guild mates in any other way' or 'it is slightly more difficult for us to communicate without it'.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

BlackFoot wrote:I just read all the posts after my post and it really feels like people didn't read any single thing i said :<
uhhh...I think Psilo even quoted you, and refuted your point with screenshots and everything.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

santa12345

Post by santa12345 »

i agree with Psilo and the many others.

i do not like the idea of taking guild/party chat out,

1)
i do not like irc,
2)
i do not want to chat/talk in vent
3)
i do not want to give my personal email to people.
4)
i do not want to install icq or other messaging programs.
5)
not a big fan of the forums.

original UO was killed (for me) cause of all the changes that took place.
seems like we are doing the same, just backwards. why ruin some thing that works?

era accurate or not.

did hemp make these "suggestions" just so his server will grown?

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Lots of things in this game have been removed/ added or changed to help bring us closer to being ERA accurate,
and there have been several things that i have disliked, but we All can adapt and overcome these changes that will make this server Era Accurate.

the guildchat and Party chat should be removed. period! if we start leaving things in because a hand full of players whine .. we FAIL!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

People can cry not-era-accurate all they want, but guild/party chat is a very important tool for UO which brings guilds and groups together. People are going to communicate across Brittania regardless of whether they use the in-game Guild/Party chat, IRC, ICQ, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Skype, etc. Removing it is just forcing people to rely on those third-party systems.

If we can have automated tourneys and exclude phase II housing, why not exclude Guild/Party chat as well? Does removing these Guild/Party chat also include removing the in-game Chat system as well?
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

So the main argument here is people do not want to be inconvenienced. Come on guys, this is a big inaccuracy to this era and needs to be removed.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I didn't read the replies. It eliminates the use of "bots". Any one using bots after this are clearly using a different 3rd party programs which is bannable. The risk of players using programs now allowed always exists, I don't think it is a necessary factor in this decision. Removing party and guild chat will do much more good than bad.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

hectorc2w
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by hectorc2w »

i say REMOVE ALL AUTOMATED EVENTS! its all bad for the server and happen waaaaaaaay too often. have a seer/gm make an event every now and then for silver, not every goddamn night at set hours