Patch 110 - June 30, 2009: Poison damages, Claim by Name

Information on the latest Server Patches
Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 110 - June 30, 2009: Poison damages, Claim by Name

Post by Silverfoot »

I think any time you were low on health your stamina would start getting drained when taking additional damage.

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

The way OSI was back in the day, DP to poison Blah every one uses the hell out of it, changes the everything, shade is hard to find everyone using dp weapons so they changed it again so it was not so deadly so you could not exploit it, everything they did was like this,and then they would change it back a little to try and keep it useful but not over bearing. When you all are discussing this makes me laugh.
Derrick Find the balance so its not exploited and ignore this banter. some things like this are important and need a balance for the obvious reason i just explained. If you make Deadly more so then raise the fact you have to have the skill to apply it to a person from a weapon. that was one of the solutions they tried. lol

UOSA For Life.
Derrick wrote:

The second scenario is not extremely likely, but it is more likely now than it was previously.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Redbeard72 wrote:The way OSI was back in the day, DP to poison Blah every one uses the hell out of it, changes the everything, shade is hard to find everyone using dp weapons so they changed it again so it was not so deadly so you could not exploit it, everything they did was like this,and then they would change it back a little to try and keep it useful but not over bearing. When you all are discussing this makes me laugh.
Derrick Find the balance so its not exploited and ignore this banter. some things like this are important and need a balance for the obvious reason i just explained. If you make Deadly more so then raise the fact you have to have the skill to apply it to a person from a weapon. that was one of the solutions they tried. lol

UOSA For Life.

DP should kill faster then it does. pure and simple. i think the balancing factor you speak of is evident in the fact you can cure DP with a single cast of the cure spell. im not disputing this mechanic at all, as i have seen the evidence that supports it. but DP taking 2 whole minutes to kill someone?? that just cant be correct. DP was nasty on OSI. i could see greater poison taking this long but not deadly. no way.

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

ClowN wrote:
Redbeard72 wrote:The way OSI was back in the day, DP to poison Blah every one uses the hell out of it, changes the everything, shade is hard to find everyone using dp weapons so they changed it again so it was not so deadly so you could not exploit it, everything they did was like this,and then they would change it back a little to try and keep it useful but not over bearing. When you all are discussing this makes me laugh.

UOSA For Life.

DP should kill faster then it does. pure and simple. i think the balancing factor you speak of is evident in the fact you can cure DP with a single cast of the cure spell. im not disputing this mechanic at all, as i have seen the evidence that supports it. but DP taking 2 whole minutes to kill someone?? that just cant be correct. DP was nasty on OSI. i could see greater poison taking this long but not deadly. no way.

im not disputing that, just needs to pick a spot in the time line and make it so, i can roll with the changes poison is fun. Crank it up. add it to the tournys too hehe
Derrick wrote:

The second scenario is not extremely likely, but it is more likely now than it was previously.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

ClowN wrote: DP should kill faster then it does. pure and simple. i think the balancing factor you speak of is evident in the fact you can cure DP with a single cast of the cure spell. im not disputing this mechanic at all, as i have seen the evidence that supports it. but DP taking 2 whole minutes to kill someone?? that just cant be correct. DP was nasty on OSI. i could see greater poison taking this long but not deadly. no way.
Yep, its def not strong enough. Its just a matter of finding sources I suppose. I was hoping to find a pvp battle youtube video, then it dawned on me that youtube wasn't around back then O.o

Doh
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kraruug, I fail to see how DP had an "extra" stamina loss bonus. That quote, to me, is simply stating a fact that is true for any damage that brings a life total below a certain amount (i.e. 25%).

Derrick, I believe you're right that all damage should have the same stamina-draining aspect (except mace weapons, which do have a bonus). I thought it was something where it drained some stamina as one's life total lessened (i.e. 1-2 stamina at 40 HP, 3-4 stamina at 30 HP, 5+ stamina at 20 HP). And it drained some stamina if it was greater than some amount of damage (i.e. 20-25 drained 2 stamina, 26-30 drained 4 stamina, 31-35 drained 6 stamina, etc).

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Yep, its def not strong enough. Its just a matter of finding sources I suppose.
There are enough sources already speaking of 10-40% poison damage (for DP) dating from November 1998 up to the end of 1999. The (one?) page where our current damage values come from has been lost (Derrick said so in the Poison post if I'm not mistaken).

I would find it much more logical if the damage system is implemented from that 1999 stratics page until the staff shows us their original source. That would be a fair solution to the problem.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This really should all be in the poison thread, it wasn't stated that this patch was intended to address all of the questions on poisoning :)

We do currently have stamina loss for damage under a certain threshold of hit points, but I think the threshold might be a little low. We'll try to verify this.

I think however that there is evidence that poison above greater, drained additional stamina in addition to what is drained by all other damage below that threshold. This may also be related to damage "types" in general, which have not been fully documented or implemented yet.

As far as the 10%-40%, our current system as of this patch (taken verbatim from the OSI code) is pretty much in line with that damage range, because of the intermittant recalc, 40% of remaining health being taken is certainly possible.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

http://web.archive.org/web/200012050023 ... mage.shtml

Dunno if this is the one anyone was looking for.

Also this page is just a memory of someone but:
http://www.nerfbat.com/2007/01/07/old-school-nostalgia/
He says...
"I used to be a GM tinker too, loved to trap new adventurers or even older warriors. So my technic was the following , first I placed my trapped box with deadly poison – my favourite – into my backpack and many other stuff, sometime rares, and so.".....
"me appearing as a ghost near my remains, and he started to enjoy looting… you know how good and fun it is to loot, and discover your victim bag until… until…. pshhhh… the deadly message appears like a death gong, “xxx is suffocating and need emergency help”. GOT HIM ! DEATH IS COMING TO YOU ! The proud warrior was shocked, surprised… What is going ON ? His healthbar is just dropping fast, too fast… the panic is real as my fun is starting." ....
Another person who remembers DP dropping them fast. Course, what is fast. *shrug*

http://www.uopowergamers.com/stories/arc9-2001.html
"One of theirs challenged Roxanne to a fight without Poison. Aight, sure. I would love that. Spear vs. Macer and we went back and forth until he stated he had to go. "Fine, I will finish it". DP Kryss=deathmoan right? If you mix in a Greater Poison Cast or two :). "

http://empireoftwilight.tripod.com/oldsite.htm
"If you get poisoned, don't lose your cool. If its deadly poison, just try to recall. At least if you die
then, you keep your stuff (make sure you have an out of the way recall spot - or directly inside a healer
shop). If its not deadly poison - and its usually not - don't sweat it. Often its better to wait on curing
it until your done with the fight."

Later I may try to look up some screenshot sequences that may help. Dunno if ill have any luck. I am only posting here because I figure a mod will branch this off eventually or something ^_^
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

ok after t2a is when the DP was so strong but like i said it changed, like everything else, even with it being as strong as u 3 people want out of 500, still u have 2 tries to cure if u happen to fizzle the first time. which is why they changed it again and made it weak. so like i said its up to Derrick to make the decision. How do u want your shard ? everyone will be poisoning everyone which changes pvp / pking . i rolled with it then i will now so doesn't matter to me. if deadly is going to be deadly cure pots should cure first try if great cure. must be a balance, that's why it always changed trying to make the balance. never will happen. Its UO!

So im clicking on some of this links, and well your all stupid to take some others persons personal experience on the shards back then as fact ? all the shards where a little different i was one of the first people on Europa shard and got rares sold them for over 1k dollars on ebay. some of the things where Diff. then Napa. same with i switched to pacific shard and joined the TM= The MAfia.
Derrick wrote:

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Poisoning in general is broken now. I got poisoned from a stong box in town on my rogue and the ticker must have lasted at least 5 minutes if not 10, i let my HP go all the way down to 13 before i bothered to cure it. That cannot be right, lesser poison should wear off in a couple of minutes no?
?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Caswallon wrote:Poisoning in general is broken now. I got poisoned from a strong box in town on my rogue and the ticker must have lasted at least 5 minutes if not 10, i let my HP go all the way down to 13 before i bothered to cure it. That cannot be right, lesser poison should wear off in a couple of minutes no?
Regular poison can last quite a while as per the OSI code.
Poison duration, in Ticks is (10-20)*Level, Regular poison (level 2) ticks every 10 seconds, so it can range from 3:20 to 6:40. Greater poison will last an extremely long time on the high end up to 10 minutes. Lesser can last up to 5 minutes because it's 15 seconds per tick instead of 10 as regular and greater are.

Deadly and Lethal poison tick at 5 seconds.

I thought there was a problem with the poison length myself after reading some overnight reports, but after much testing and verification yesterday it appears to be working properly.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Topics get locked when a new patch not comes out, so that the ordered threads don't get out of order. There is a Poison topic in Suggestions and Era Accuracy that this can be continued in.