The ways of the warrior, as experienced by Sturm

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The ways of the warrior, as experienced by Sturm

Post by Blaise »

My goal here is to outline what I have learned in my time playing as a Pure Warrior on UOSA.
Purity of a Warrior, is one without Magery, in my opinion, but early on Magery will help keep you alive.

Sturm’s template: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/75856
Anatomy/Archery/Healing/Parrying/Swordsmanship/Tactics/Resisting Spells
Sturm’s Hotkeys (no assignments, just what I feel is necessary):
Item Use:
Bandage Self
Use Bandage (no timer) – for bandaging others
Heal Potion
Refresh Potion
Cure Potion
Strength Potion
Dress Items (as defined on the Arm/Dress tab in Razor, which can then be assigned Hotkeys via Hotkey tab):
Using toggle is nicer than Disarm/Arm because one key will cycle that item on or off.
Always leave the check in “Automatically remove conflicting items” so you can go from one weapon to the next with one key.
Toggle: Bow (named Bow, but has bow by type set, so if I change bows, it still works)
Toggle: Polearm (has halberd and bardiche, by type listed)
Toggle: Sword (has sword and shield, by type listed)
Toggle: Invis (whatever Invis item I have on hand, absolute target, must be updated on Arm/Dress tab when item is replaced)
Toggle: Reflect (Has Ghoul’s Touch weapon and Reflect Magic item listed, also absolute targets, as above)
Actions/Agents:
UseOnce: Once the hotkey is set for this, and you have your trapped pouches (see below) use the Add Container button within UseOnce on the Agents tab in Razor, to target your bag of pouches. This will add all pouches within, to the UseOnce queue. UseOnce will open each one in series, but never the same one twice (you have to re-trap and re-add them to the UseOnce queue).
Scavenger: Great option for hunting in places like shame where gold hits the ground, or recovering your arrows if you’re an archer.

General play and good practice:
Early on, this is how I started and worked along:
Get trained in Magery to 30, for using Recall scrolls with 99.9% non-fizzle rate.
Pack a rune home or to a safe location on you, at all times.
I generally roll with 50-100 bandages at any given time and about 10+ heal potions, 5+ cure/refresh/strength potions
This will keep you basically hunting well for a while, but once the PKs roll in casting Paralyze, you’ll want the following:
A bag with at LEAST 5 pouches inside, but I tend to pack 10-15, all trapped with Magic Trap (I use an alt to do this, or ask a friend)
An Invisibility item (see Dress Items)
A Magic Reflection item
A Ghoul’s Touch weapon
(Those last three, I didn’t start using until my Magery dropped to a level that was no longer conducive to trustworthy Recalls)

Macro: (I have only used one with Sturm, aside from the Archer Bot macro I made for sitting on my keep wall)
Escape – Set a hotkey (even if temporarily) for Disarm: Both Hands and record a macro using that hotkey, double-clicking a recall scroll, and clicking your safe rune.
Edit the macro to insert a one second pause after disarm, so it doesn’t choke when it hits the Recall scroll. Set the dclick scroll to By Type and make sure to Re-Target the Absolute Target step, whenever you replace your rune.
For the sake of security, drop the items into one of your trapped pouches without opening it, this will not impact function.
Now set a hotkey for the Escape macro, and ALWAYS test it before going into the field. It’s only one scroll used to test, so do it.
Now that I don’t Recall anymore, I no longer use that macro, but I still have it.
At this point, you’ve got everything above set and ready to go. When you’re out fielding, and the reds come in for the gank, you’re all ready to go. They will generally Paralyze a lot and right away so option one, hit your UseOnce hotkey until you can move, then hit your Escape hotkey. ALWAYS WATCH YOUR WEIGHT. If they hit you with curse, and you were 389/390 stones, you’re now dead.
I generally seek to offload loot when I get around 350-360 stones, so I can handle the curse if it happens.
Poof, you’re safe at home and the reds have to find another target. This can fail if the PKs are smart enough. They will have Harm ready to go in attempt to disrupt your Recall, so having heal potions and plenty of trapped pouches will help a lot.

So you’ve lived long with that method and now you have low Magery, making attempts to Recall in an emergency a bad idea. It’s time to get serious and bring the hurt, or get good at running. If you’re this far along, you’ve likely got 6xGM and are probably still finishing your Resisting Spells training.

Now when the reds show, there are a couple of options. Obviously trapped pouches are still essential if you want to escape or fight back well. The Invis item (hotkey) will be just enough time to let that bandage finish, if the enemy is slow with their Reveals. If you plan to just come out swinging, hit that Reflect item (hotkey) and start hitting them with Ghoul’s Touch. More often than not, they are not expecting this and just enough fumble on their part might be just what you need to drop one, throwing the other’s out of balance/synch. Using Archery, with a GT bow, I can Toggle:Bow (hotkey) hit them with GT, Toggle:Polearm and land a solid two-hit combo. If you get them solid with that, cycle to sword for faster hits. Extra bonus option is to immediately slam a Strength pot after toggling your Reflect item, followed by the bandage self hotkey. The potion will put you 20hp under max (now 120), allowing for immediate bandaging. If you can get this cycle going AS they come on screen, you’ll be better off so it will likely wrap up right when the explosion hits, keeping you in the upper range of HP. Parry is awesome, despite what people may say about it. Nothing makes me laugh like nil damage from a 7xtank halberd hit.

Pay attention to your Stamina and hit those Refresh pots if it has dropped by more than 10-20 points as this will affect your swings.
Don’t bother Curing with bandages in a fight, you’ll just end up dying, so hit that Cure pot possibly right before the bandage finishes.
I have no reagents on my Razor item counters (title bar) only Arrows, Bandages, Bandage Timer, MedStat Bar, Heal, Cure and Refresh potions. Obviously add whatever you feel most important, but that’s how I’m rolling.

After all this, I’m going to assume I’ve neglected to mention something or forgotten some detail. If there’s anything you feel could improve, post it up and I will update as I see fit.

The easier way around this is to just be a Mage like everyone else (yes, I consider the vast majority of ‘dexxers’ as mages).
In my opinion, if you have GM Magery, you are a mage. If you only use weapons and items to fight, you are a Pure Warrior!

Also worth noting, you will be called a gimp and other such insults if you talk to the general population about this kind of template and play. That’s just something you’ll have to deal with if you want to make a character this way. This a bit of the kind of RP I like, as Sturm (if you know your Dragonlance books) is quite opposed to magic and its practitioners.

Sincerely,
Sturm, Grandmaster Gimp.

P.S. I hope this helps some people and generates a lot of cliché PK trolling, because that’s what they do best. :P
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Cheech

Re: The ways of the warrior, as experienced by Sturm

Post by Cheech »

nice post sturm

Ocho

Post by Ocho »

BlaiseDad wrote:My goal here is to outline what I have learned in my time playing as a Pure Warrior on UOSA.
Purity of a Warrior, is one without Magery, in my opinion, but early on Magery will help keep you alive.

Sturm’s template: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/75856
Anatomy/Archery/Healing/Parrying/Swordsmanship/Tactics/Resisting Spells
Sturm’s Hotkeys (no assignments, just what I feel is necessary):
Item Use:
Bandage Self
Use Bandage (no timer) – for bandaging others
Heal Potion
Refresh Potion
Cure Potion
Strength Potion
Dress Items (as defined on the Arm/Dress tab in Razor, which can then be assigned Hotkeys via Hotkey tab):
Using toggle is nicer than Disarm/Arm because one key will cycle that item on or off.
Always leave the check in “Automatically remove conflicting items” so you can go from one weapon to the next with one key.
Toggle: Bow (named Bow, but has bow by type set, so if I change bows, it still works)
Toggle: Polearm (has halberd and bardiche, by type listed)
Toggle: Sword (has sword and shield, by type listed)
Toggle: Invis (whatever Invis item I have on hand, absolute target, must be updated on Arm/Dress tab when item is replaced)
Toggle: Reflect (Has Ghoul’s Touch weapon and Reflect Magic item listed, also absolute targets, as above)
Actions/Agents:
UseOnce: Once the hotkey is set for this, and you have your trapped pouches (see below) use the Add Container button within UseOnce on the Agents tab in Razor, to target your bag of pouches. This will add all pouches within, to the UseOnce queue. UseOnce will open each one in series, but never the same one twice (you have to re-trap and re-add them to the UseOnce queue).
Scavenger: Great option for hunting in places like shame where gold hits the ground, or recovering your arrows if you’re an archer.

General play and good practice:
Early on, this is how I started and worked along:
Get trained in Magery to 30, for using Recall scrolls with 99.9% non-fizzle rate.
Pack a rune home or to a safe location on you, at all times.
I generally roll with 50-100 bandages at any given time and about 10+ heal potions, 5+ cure/refresh/strength potions
This will keep you basically hunting well for a while, but once the PKs roll in casting Paralyze, you’ll want the following:
A bag with at LEAST 5 pouches inside, but I tend to pack 10-15, all trapped with Magic Trap (I use an alt to do this, or ask a friend)
An Invisibility item (see Dress Items)
A Magic Reflection item
A Ghoul’s Touch weapon
(Those last three, I didn’t start using until my Magery dropped to a level that was no longer conducive to trustworthy Recalls)

Macro: (I have only used one with Sturm, aside from the Archer Bot macro I made for sitting on my keep wall)
Escape – Set a hotkey (even if temporarily) for Disarm: Both Hands and record a macro using that hotkey, double-clicking a recall scroll, and clicking your safe rune.
Edit the macro to insert a one second pause after disarm, so it doesn’t choke when it hits the Recall scroll. Set the dclick scroll to By Type and make sure to Re-Target the Absolute Target step, whenever you replace your rune.
For the sake of security, drop the items into one of your trapped pouches without opening it, this will not impact function.
Now set a hotkey for the Escape macro, and ALWAYS test it before going into the field. It’s only one scroll used to test, so do it.
Now that I don’t Recall anymore, I no longer use that macro, but I still have it.
At this point, you’ve got everything above set and ready to go. When you’re out fielding, and the reds come in for the gank, you’re all ready to go. They will generally Paralyze a lot and right away so option one, hit your UseOnce hotkey until you can move, then hit your Escape hotkey. ALWAYS WATCH YOUR WEIGHT. If they hit you with curse, and you were 389/390 stones, you’re now dead.
I generally seek to offload loot when I get around 350-360 stones, so I can handle the curse if it happens.
Poof, you’re safe at home and the reds have to find another target. This can fail if the PKs are smart enough. They will have Harm ready to go in attempt to disrupt your Recall, so having heal potions and plenty of trapped pouches will help a lot.

So you’ve lived long with that method and now you have low Magery, making attempts to Recall in an emergency a bad idea. It’s time to get serious and bring the hurt, or get good at running. If you’re this far along, you’ve likely got 6xGM and are probably still finishing your Resisting Spells training.

Now when the reds show, there are a couple of options. Obviously trapped pouches are still essential if you want to escape or fight back well. The Invis item (hotkey) will be just enough time to let that bandage finish, if the enemy is slow with their Reveals. If you plan to just come out swinging, hit that Reflect item (hotkey) and start hitting them with Ghoul’s Touch. More often than not, they are not expecting this and just enough fumble on their part might be just what you need to drop one, throwing the other’s out of balance/synch. Using Archery, with a GT bow, I can Toggle:Bow (hotkey) hit them with GT, Toggle:Polearm and land a solid two-hit combo. If you get them solid with that, cycle to sword for faster hits. Extra bonus option is to immediately slam a Strength pot after toggling your Reflect item, followed by the bandage self hotkey. The potion will put you 20hp under max (now 120), allowing for immediate bandaging. If you can get this cycle going AS they come on screen, you’ll be better off so it will likely wrap up right when the explosion hits, keeping you in the upper range of HP. Parry is awesome, despite what people may say about it. Nothing makes me laugh like nil damage from a 7xtank halberd hit.

Pay attention to your Stamina and hit those Refresh pots if it has dropped by more than 10-20 points as this will affect your swings.
Don’t bother Curing with bandages in a fight, you’ll just end up dying, so hit that Cure pot possibly right before the bandage finishes.
I have no reagents on my Razor item counters (title bar) only Arrows, Bandages, Bandage Timer, MedStat Bar, Heal, Cure and Refresh potions. Obviously add whatever you feel most important, but that’s how I’m rolling.

After all this, I’m going to assume I’ve neglected to mention something or forgotten some detail. If there’s anything you feel could improve, post it up and I will update as I see fit.

The easier way around this is to just be a Mage like everyone else (yes, I consider the vast majority of ‘dexxers’ as mages).
In my opinion, if you have GM Magery, you are a mage. If you only use weapons and items to fight, you are a Pure Warrior!

Also worth noting, you will be called a gimp and other such insults if you talk to the general population about this kind of template and play. That’s just something you’ll have to deal with if you want to make a character this way. This a bit of the kind of RP I like, as Sturm (if you know your Dragonlance books) is quite opposed to magic and its practitioners.

Sincerely,
Sturm, Grandmaster Gimp.

P.S. I hope this helps some people and generates a lot of cliché PK trolling, because that’s what they do best. :P
were hybrids mages suck
<Luca|Blight> hail number 8
<Ocho> Lol dont be jealous
<Ocho> i have a question for you
<Luca|Blight> does it involve hiring GK for his reacharound service
<Ocho> he doesnt charge me
<Luca|Blight> oh nice setup

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Ocho wrote:were hybrids mages suck
At first I was like "Great, someone who quoted the whole text, as though we don't know what you're responding to."
Then I read your response and I was all "wut?"
Est Sularus oth Mithas

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

He's simply pointing out that to people like me, that play a pure mage, sit far lower on the totem pole than your previous post seems to suggest. I can attest that your pure warrior seems to be a PvP powerhouse in relation to some of our templates. I agree that you deserve credit for not being a tank mage but not as much as if you just had no weapon skill at all. The difference maker in who's in the club or not shouldn't be who has magery and who doesn't but rather who has weapon skills. To me you're all just warriors.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

McSchnurke wrote:He's simply pointing out that to people like me, that play a pure mage, sit far lower on the totem pole than your previous post seems to suggest. I can attest that your pure warrior seems to be a PvP powerhouse in relation to some of our templates. I agree that you deserve credit for not being a tank mage but not as much as if you just had no weapon skill at all. The difference maker in who's in the club or not shouldn't be who has magery and who doesn't but rather who has weapon skills. To me you're all just warriors.
Oh yeah, I can dig it like that. I honestly just couldn't figure out what he was implying with such sparse detail/composition.

I am quite far from a PvP powerhouse, in fact, perhaps the opposite (regardless of what my template appears to be :) ). Just a dumb warrior trying to get by in a land full of tank mages.

If you play a pure mage with no weapon skill, I'd love to see a similar write-up. I by no means intended this to be a flame post, regardless of poking a little fun at the most common PvP template.

There really is no difference or 'club', as long as you're playing how YOU want to play, not how others say you should. :) That's the beauty of RPGs!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

You gotta kinda squint your eyes and imagine some apostrophes and periods. . .

Despite his grammatical inadequacies, he is right about mages. Don't get me wrong about the PvP powerhouse comment, though. I just meant relative to my template (which is kinda like your crafter but without the ability to craft things.) I'm sure you don't feel like it's a fair fight going up against a geared out tank mage. That's how I feel fighting a bank thief.

Perhaps we should join forces. Our forces combined actually equal a single tank mage!

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Honestly, one of the best things would be to have a stealth mage to cast heals/buffs and nerfs on the enemies.
We could be like the Wonder Twins.

Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!!!

Form of: Tank Mage!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The Law of Ascalon

Post by Blaise »

Something
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

BlaiseDad wrote:Honestly, one of the best things would be to have a stealth mage to cast heals/buffs and nerfs on the enemies.
Buffs?? nerfs?? What are those?

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Kriav wrote:
BlaiseDad wrote:Honestly, one of the best things would be to have a stealth mage to cast heals/buffs and nerfs on the enemies.
Buffs?? nerfs?? What are those?
Buffs: Reactive armor, agility, protection, strength, cunning, bless, arch protection, magic reflection and nightsight.

Nerf (or Debuffs): Clumsy, feeblemind, weaken, curse and arch curse.