The place to be when starting fresh
Let me start off by welcoming all new players to UOSA!
To give anyone who is interested a running start on this shard, I've created The Humble Village of Awesome. A small group of homes for the new players to this shard. Now, what I'm offering is in no way a handout, I offer any new player to the shard a place to call their own until they get their own house (provided that houses are available and not occupied) or have stayed for a month, whichever comes first.
The house comes furnished and secure. Including (but not limited to) a table barrier so thieves can't get in, a secure container, four wooden chests, a bookshelf and a throne. Please look at the image below for details.
When assigned a house in The Humble Village of Awesome you'll be made co-owner of the house, and can do pretty much what you want with your new temporary home. A house key will be located in the secure container for your convenience, would you wish to afk macro or go afk inside the house. The Humble Village of Awesome is in no way affiliated with any guild, and you may choose to socialize with anyone and play any type of character you wish. The Humble village of Awesome is ran entirely by me, Safir, for the purpose of getting new players a good start in their adventures and pursuits inside the wonderful world that is UOSA.
The Humble Village of Awesome is located just south-east of the dungeon Wrong in a very calm location with the occasional monster passing through. You have mountains, woods and the seas available all around The Humble Village of Awesome if you'd wish to work on mining, lumberjacking or fishing. As well as many dungeons and more monster populated areas within walking distance for all of those more into the violent side of Ultima Online. Not many players come by and when they do, they rush past in pursuit of adventure. An ideal location to get started here on UOSA, and once again getting hang of the game after all those years. The Humble Village of Awesome now also hosts a shop, The Humble Shoppe of Awesome, for the residents and other players to purchase basic items needed on a daily basis. Please look at the images below for details of where The Humble Village of Awesome is located and what it looks like.
(Sorry about the cut down trees, my lumberjack went at them too much lately... ;) j/k)
Click here or on the image for a large map!
If you would be interested in coming to The Humble Village of Awesome, I will be available around 19:00 (7PM) GMT/UTC on IRC by the name of Safir or around The Humble Village of Awesome every day. Contact me and we can meet up and get to The Humble Village of Awesome together. If you can't make it online around that time, please PM me here on the forums and we'll arrange a meeting (please take into consideration that I live in Europe and can't make it online during my night-time).
And once again, Welcome to UOSA, Ultima Online - The Second Age! The way it was, and the way it should be. ;)
Some thanks to these players for making The Humble Village of Awesome possible:
To Sulta, for donating a whole patio house and for being a friendly neighbor!
To RoadKill, who helped the Village with fundings and layout!
To Prurk, for donating a whole home towards the cause!
To DarkRadiance, who helped me with the furniture and a big donation of 20k!
To Jaster/Loops, for consulting on House security!
Some important information to the occupants of The Humble Village of Awesome!
- "I ban thee" - This command will eject the person or creature you target with the targeting cursor from the house. They will not be able to get into the house again once they've been banned. The ones you ban will be put on a ban list that is accessible in the house menu available by double-clicking the house sign.
- "Remove thyself" - This command will eject the person or creature you target with the targeting cursor from the house. The one banned will be able to get into the house again, and will not be banned.
- "I wish to lock this down" - Lock an item down inside the house.
- "I wish to release this" - Will remove the lockdown status on a locked down item.
- "I wish to place a trash barrel" - This command will move the houses trash barrel to the location in the house where you issue the command.
- The trash barrel and table barrier - The most important part of house security to protect your hard earned items. This barrier prevents thieves and house looters from entering your house and getting to your valuables. You can dispose of items by putting them in the trash barrel. Items placed in the trash barrel will be permanently removed in three (3) minutes. Passing this barrier can be done by moving the trash barrel by issuing the trash barrel house command "I wish to place a trash barrel".
- Detecting Hidden - This skill will reveal anyone hiding inside the house. It has a 100% success chance while used inside the house, in other words it will always reveal people hiding inside the house.
- Hiding - This skill will hide yourself from other people or creatures. It has a 100% success chance while used inside the house, in other words you will always be able to hide when using this skill inside the house.
- Secure containers - These containers are 100% secure, only owners to a house will be able to access these containers. They can contain 125 items with a total weight of 400 stones. Use these secure containers or your bank box to store your most valuable items.
- Locked down containers - These containers are NOT secure, anyone can access these containers provided that they are close enough to reach into them, so don't keep them close to your table/trash barrel security barrier. They can contain 125 items with an unlimited total weight. Use these containers to store heavy items or when you run out of space in your secure containers.
- Locked down items - Most of these items cannot be used unless released, but are good for decoration, or storing heavy items inside a house without proper house security (a table/trash barrel barrier).
- I Ban Thee - Issue the command when a hostile player or creature has entered your house to remove them from the house.
- Front Door - The front door to the house has a lock on it. The key is located inside the secure container in the house. If you plan on being afk for any amount of time inside the house, it would be wise to lock the front door. You do this by removing the key from the secure container, make sure the front door is closed, double click on the key then target the front door with the targeting cursor. You should get a message saying that the door has been locked. This way no hostile players or creatures will be able to enter the house while you are afk. Important: Remember to unlock the front door again before you leave the house. Otherwise you won't be able to enter it again, and will have to wait for me to come online to be able to hand you a new house key.
- Secure location - There is only one (1) 100% secure location inside a small house. It is the absolute center tile of the house. I've placed a red throne on that tile to clearly show where that tile is located, please look at this image to see the house layout and where the throne is. Important: That center tile is only secure from outside attacks using area-of-effect spells, mainly Earthquake, and will only work if the front door is locked. If the front door is unlocked, players and creatures may still be able to enter the house and cast spells on you, even if you are behind the security barrier.
- Entering a house and passing the table/trash barrel security - Here is a step-by-step list on how to securely enter your home to prevent robbers from entering.
- Go inside the house.
- Close the door behind you.
- Use the Detecting Hidden skill to reveal any hidden players.
- Stand in front of the trash barrel and issue the trash barrel command.
- Move to the position where the trash barrel previously was located.
- Again, issue the trash barrel command to place the trash barrel to it's original location.
- Move past the security barrier and into the safe part of the house.
- Use the Detecting Hidden skill once again to make sure no hidden players have gotten past your security barrier.
- IF you reveal a hidden player with the "Detecting Hidden" skill, issue the "I Ban Thee" command to remove them from the house and to prevent them from entering it again.
For more and the latest information about house security, please read Guide: Ultima Online:T2A House Security 101
I hope this will help you manage both your house in The Humble Village of Awesome as well as future homes. ;)
Good things to know about UOSA
- Rules - Remember to read the rules of UOSA and follow them. They can be located here.
- IRC - IRC is a chat system, and UOSA has it's own channel where many players are available to chat. Get on IRC when you're online or just hop on when you have some questions to ask or need some help. The players of UOSA are very helpful and especially considerate to new players to the shard. You can log on to IRC here.
- ALT+T - Alt+T is the command to bring up the in-game chat. There has recently been some dramatic progress in it's actual use, even though it's always worked good. Check the thread here.
- T2A Wiki - UOSA has it's own Wiki with much information and content helpful for a new player. Check it out here.
- Razor - Many use Razor to log on to UOSA, but you can also use Razor for much, much more. You can set up agents to handle some items for you, macros, hot keys, and many other things. Check out the Guides & FAQs section of the forums for many good detailed tutorials on how to use Razor and how to set up macros. Check out the You fail at UO Razor thread in particular, it'll help you get familiar with Razor. But remember, you are not allowed to use Razor to automate resource gathering while being afk.
- Museum - Check out the player ran UOSA History Museum, you can stare in awe on the many rares and special items that show different historical events in the history of the shard, as well as special exhibitions. Read books, both player written and old OSI originals. Touch the wax dolls of important characters in the history of UOSA. It's a must see if you play on this shard. Here is the official thread.
- Events - Check out the Player Run Events section of the forums to see what's going on! There are many fun events to participate in! Here is a link to the section. Don't forget that UOSA also has it's own events, here is a schedule.
- Trading Post - This section of the forums is an important part of the Economy of the shard. Players buy and sell their items here on the Trading Post. There is also a sub-section of the Trading Post for Player Run Vendors where players announce their in-game vendors that you can visit and browse through the inventories. Almost anything can be sold or purchased through the Trading Post. The Trading Post is located here, and you can find the Player Run Vendors here.
- Voting - Remember to vote for UOSA on the links at the bottom of the forums at least once a day. The voting will give the shard a higher ranking on the different sites you vote on, and this bring new players to the shard. Perhaps you found this shard by one of those sites? By getting more people to play on this server it'll become more dynamic and have a healthy and active community. Keep the shard living! Vote for UOSA!
- Donate - Last but definitely not least. This shard doesn't give anything in-game as a reward for donating to the shard, and that is what sets it apart from the commercial shards. UOSA offers Ultima Online at it's best and doesn't ask for anything in return. If you have the means, please donate for the benefit of the shards longevity and well being, let's hope we can keep it running for many years to come!