Singing Crystal Balls - Random Sound is broken

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Brules

Singing Crystal Balls - Random Sound is broken

Post by Brules »

So I have been testing this and thinking about it for quite sometime. I believe the "randomness" code that the Singing Crystal Balls uses is bugged, broken, not working properly.

I believe this because after hundereds of sound events, there are a certain number that repeat over and over and over, while a lot of the sounds in the pool are rarely if EVER heard.

Ie: you will hear the bong sound, birds chirping, birds singing, drums etc over and over and over.....often repeating sounds, yet sounds like the "help meeeeeee" is so rare, I have only ever heard it ONCE. Scared the piss out of me too when it triggered lol.

My personal thought it whatever the code is for the "randomness", it is not creating a true random event.

Can anyone who knows code comment on this? To test for yourself, find one of these on display, run by it 50 times and you will instantly see what I mean.......many sounds repeat way to often for it to be a true random sound.

Thoughts or ideas anyone? I bring this up as I think it would be cool if these items actually worked as described.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: Singing Crystal Balls - Random Sound is broken

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

This is a good question for Anarcho since he can review the specific code we're using. I had a singing ball on OSI and I had one on UOSA. The OSI ball definitely had more noise and was pretty obnoxious in general compared to the UOSA sounds.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Yeah I have had both as well, and on here, it repeats a set of sounds waaaay too much to be truely random.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Brules wrote:Yeah I have had both as well, and on here, it repeats a set of sounds waaaay too much to be truely random.
I always suspected it was random, but the soundbank it was pulling from was extremely limited. This is something Anarcho is going to have to look at since he has access to the source files.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

WTS gf Singing Ball
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Brules wrote:Yeah I have had both as well, and on here, it repeats a set of sounds waaaay too much to be truely random.
I always suspected it was random, but the soundbank it was pulling from was extremely limited. This is something Anarcho is going to have to look at since he has access to the source files.
I would think it is the "random code" vs the sound bank. It will make other sounds, but they are extremely rare......of the thousands of times I have heard it, only 1 time have a I heard say the "Help meeeeeeeee" sound. Same with some others. I think it is a randomness code issue more than anything.

Will be interesting to see what Anarcho comes up with.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Anarcho? Anyone?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I don't know what our current code for the singing ball looks like, but I haven't been able to find a list of the actual sounds that the crystal ball could make on OSI servers. I know that the current bank of sounds we have access to via the modern day client includes several sounds that weren't present when they coded the crystal ball, so we would necessarily need to exclude those, but exactly what those sounds are as opposed to the sounds that it could play would take some comparison between different clients.

In practice, this likely means that the "help me" sound that you're referencing, or that other sounds that currently play weren't available back then, and couldn't be played, even it played the entire range of sounds that was possible at the time (I don't think that it did, but I don't have a list of what it actually did play).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Brules

Post by Brules »

Irregardless of what it did or did not play, the randomness of it is broken. As coded now, here, it obviously has the help me sound in the pool - but the # of times it is played is far to few as compared to other sounds it will repeat over and over.

So my core question is - is the code that generates the "randomness" broken? I think so as I have played with ball repeatedly and there is no way it is random or the random code is severely messed up.

That then begs the question - is that code used for anything else like random rare spawns etc?

Ohm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ohm »

Regardless*
[22:31:51] <wintergate> Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”