Green Acres

Share stories and special moments with the community.
Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Re: Green Acres

Post by Braden »

Ronk wrote:
Brules wrote:
BlackFoot wrote:Its deff on the map. Its where some of the event arenas are etc
Its where Trammel takes place you mean. :)
I doubt that. Id guess trammel takes place in trammel. Green acres is a big empty green area that is part of the world map. There was/is a trammel in felucca and trammel.
UO has an array of maps. Felucia is element #0, Trammel is element #1, Isenhar is element #3, Tokuno is element #4, etc. When you transfer between facets you actually switch maps.

Green Acres exists on maps #0 and #1.

Back in the era, there were dragons (they always appeared visible to us) that were super lethal (one-hit kill).
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

randale

Post by randale »

Braden wrote:
Ronk wrote:
Brules wrote:
BlackFoot wrote:Its deff on the map. Its where some of the event arenas are etc
Its where Trammel takes place you mean. :)
I doubt that. Id guess trammel takes place in trammel. Green acres is a big empty green area that is part of the world map. There was/is a trammel in felucca and trammel.
UO has an array of maps. Felucia is element #0, Trammel is element #1, Isenhar is element #3, Tokuno is element #4, etc. When you transfer between facets you actually switch maps.

Green Acres exists on maps #0 and #1.

Back in the era, there were dragons (they always appeared visible to us) that were super lethal (one-hit kill).
Since it did exist in the T2A era would we have it here? Could be very useful for extra real estate space.

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Brules wrote:It was usually corrupt GM's transporting their buddies there who marked runes when you could recall there...once they got out into the general population - a few runes became thousands lol. But on Baja - if you got caught there.....you risked getting in deep deep doo doo if caught there.
this, and no green acres is not available for real estate was never on any osi shard
and here it is used for events and testing
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Cpt Jack Sparrow

Post by Cpt Jack Sparrow »

I see this post is old however I would like to add my two cents. On the Server I played on. Back when we had player counselors. Most of ours got fired for marking runes to Green Acres and handing them out. It was already stated that Green acres is just a testing area for the GM's. I personally got a 3 day ban for hitting a random rune to GA whille they were in the process of testing out a major Seer event, and then telling people about it.

Brules

Post by Brules »

I remember back on Baja when the GA runes got out (like wildfire) - some idiots placed houses there - GM's did not take kindly to it lol.

Meradin

Post by Meradin »

As far as i know on pac shard being caught in GA was a bannable offense, im sure there are 100 diffrent story's as to how people got there, seeing as there was so many diffrent shards. As a tester for AC for 6 years, i seem to remember like someone else said, you got there by teleporting of the map into the black, in the old days i think you could actuly run in the black, before they made every step unmovable, then GMs and Counselors had to use .tele to get to the GA, or .tele (location) would instantly transport you to the cords you put in.

Brules

Post by Brules »

I can't imagine it being too big of a deal here - and I have never seen a rule stating players can't go/be in GA. If they did, everyone who does the 1v1/2v2 etc would get banned lol.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

On great lakes I remember there were castles in green acres when I first went to it (either pre-T2A or during T2A). And there was a sign that basically said "move yer houses because they'll all be deleted in a week".

So I guess, on GL at least, the staff were nicer and gave warnings instead of bans.

This was the era of tank mages in full plate, before med. Because my friends would run around pking and they'd gate the ghosts to Green acres and laugh about it.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Lord-Xanthor

Post by Lord-Xanthor »

The stories of Green Acres. Quite a few stories actually have more truth to them then you know. I was doing some work when this came up in a search. There is more to the place then anyone knows. I know this because I used to work with OSI before EA closed them down and many of my friends didn't care to move to California. Anyway, for starters, Green Acres was a portion of the map that was left over before t2a got merged with Trammel and Felucca. When the arttists made the map, it was entirely all grass, and it was filled with rock, paths, dungeons, two towns. There was a deadline to meet so the section was rocked off and a zone put in to prevent teleporting there with future plans to build there in the future. Those plans never happened due to the above. Instead, it was used on some shards for testing, other shards for Counselor meetings, those were the volunteers in blue who one day all were fired and an out of country company hired to deal with most pages GMs were not needed for. On a real OSI/EA shard, a counselor was actually a ghost. When one passed testing, they were killed off and given the blue shroud. The reason this was done, was to prevent volunteer's from using their limited power to steal from other players. There was no way to hand them anything, they were actually a dead character. As for the rumors of an invisable dragon, it was actually a beefed up Ancient wyrm set to invisible and an insane amount of damage. There was more then one and this was done because despite the whole area set to no recall, people were getting in. The Castle placement is something that must of happened after I left Stratics. The beefed up Ancient Wyrms were a deterrent to let people know not to go to Green Acres because they would fireball for 2k damage before you even got near which was instant death. They were removed not much later on because however people were getting in, I was told one did get out. Hard to kill something unkillable let alone unseeable. Hanse later on used some of the space for the Solen Nest and thorn quest where plants were introduced to the game. When Ishnar was introduced, the real intentions for glassblowing and stonecraft was to make many of the illigal rares worthless. That one ended up smacking the dev team in the face because it ended up the first day making many of the beta testers rich scamming the unwary. Many accounts got banned not to mention volinteers fired. The only thing I regret, was putting up an April fools joke years back Where Limits were put on vendors and Tamers. I caused the staff to be overwhelmed with pages. What was worse, the dev team liked the joke so much, or more of the ideas, they actually put it into the game. I left in 2004. Most of my work was volunteer and I used to have a tun of free time. When I got married and had two kids, it was time to go. I talk with some of the old staff once in a blue moon. After 11 years of no UO, my kids are into games and when they saw some of the old flash films, showed them and now they play. The first day both of them never made it far. They spent a good part of the day killing one another. The changes threw even me off. Wow, the spells they have. Makes me a newbie all over again. feels like only yesterday I was on Abyss, and people with etheral skin sitting in an inn would permanently crash them and anyone in the vicinity. I see what was given up on, on abyss actually made it into game after I left too. By the way, UO wasn't the first online game though its taking a lot of credit. The first online game was actually a games called Habitat for he C-64 taht used a service called Q-link. It like Abyss never made it to production after testing, though a cheaper version called Club Caribe did.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Lord-Xanthor wrote:The stories of Green Acres. Quite a few stories actually have more truth to them then you know. I was doing some work when this came up in a search. There is more to the place then anyone knows. I know this because I used to work with OSI before EA closed them down and many of my friends didn't care to move to California. Anyway, for starters, Green Acres was a portion of the map that was left over before t2a got merged with Trammel and Felucca. When the arttists made the map, it was entirely all grass, and it was filled with rock, paths, dungeons, two towns. There was a deadline to meet so the section was rocked off and a zone put in to prevent teleporting there with future plans to build there in the future. Those plans never happened due to the above. Instead, it was used on some shards for testing, other shards for Counselor meetings, those were the volunteers in blue who one day all were fired and an out of country company hired to deal with most pages GMs were not needed for. On a real OSI/EA shard, a counselor was actually a ghost. When one passed testing, they were killed off and given the blue shroud. The reason this was done, was to prevent volunteer's from using their limited power to steal from other players. There was no way to hand them anything, they were actually a dead character. As for the rumors of an invisable dragon, it was actually a beefed up Ancient wyrm set to invisible and an insane amount of damage. There was more then one and this was done because despite the whole area set to no recall, people were getting in. The Castle placement is something that must of happened after I left Stratics. The beefed up Ancient Wyrms were a deterrent to let people know not to go to Green Acres because they would fireball for 2k damage before you even got near which was instant death. They were removed not much later on because however people were getting in, I was told one did get out. Hard to kill something unkillable let alone unseeable. Hanse later on used some of the space for the Solen Nest and thorn quest where plants were introduced to the game. When Ishnar was introduced, the real intentions for glassblowing and stonecraft was to make many of the illigal rares worthless. That one ended up smacking the dev team in the face because it ended up the first day making many of the beta testers rich scamming the unwary. Many accounts got banned not to mention volinteers fired. The only thing I regret, was putting up an April fools joke years back Where Limits were put on vendors and Tamers. I caused the staff to be overwhelmed with pages. What was worse, the dev team liked the joke so much, or more of the ideas, they actually put it into the game. I left in 2004. Most of my work was volunteer and I used to have a tun of free time. When I got married and had two kids, it was time to go. I talk with some of the old staff once in a blue moon. After 11 years of no UO, my kids are into games and when they saw some of the old flash films, showed them and now they play. The first day both of them never made it far. They spent a good part of the day killing one another. The changes threw even me off. Wow, the spells they have. Makes me a newbie all over again. feels like only yesterday I was on Abyss, and people with etheral skin sitting in an inn would permanently crash them and anyone in the vicinity. I see what was given up on, on abyss actually made it into game after I left too. By the way, UO wasn't the first online game though its taking a lot of credit. The first online game was actually a games called Habitat for he C-64 taht used a service called Q-link. It like Abyss never made it to production after testing, though a cheaper version called Club Caribe did.
Interesting

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

One thing is for sure:
The importance of constructing paragraphs with appropriate spacing and indentation cannot be overstated here.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation