Musics are random?

Dagon

Re: Musics are random?

Post by Dagon »

i'm just glad to know that it's not a problem on my end, since I did the music editing for the crash fix. as far as how to go about fixing it.... real good question. might not be possible, not without some major client hacking .. and even then who knows..

it would at least be a starting point to try older clients that worked properly and kept patching up to find out exactly when a problem started.. but that would take an enormous amount of time and energy to do, one client version at a time.. and it wouldn't be done here since you need at least 5.0+ to log in..

i wonder if a hybrid hack would work better.... use the ML sound config file for the mp3s, but change the mp3s to the classic music and try to replicate as best as possible where and what sounds should be used..

Incidium

Post by Incidium »

This is interesting to know, thanks for the thread!

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

I'm having the same problem with random music, its driving me batty... whenever im out mining and war music kicks in out of nowhere, it scares the bajesus out of me...
Dagon wrote:i wonder if a hybrid hack would work better.... use the ML sound config file for the mp3s, but change the mp3s to the classic music and try to replicate as best as possible where and what sounds should be used..
I spent a couple of minutes with copy and paste in windows explorer and goofed around with this to find it only works in one direction, and not the right one. If i'm playing on a server that uses the ML client or newer for its base, i can copy the old mp3/midi files over and simply use the config file to make sure it points to the right ones, works like a charm. But if i try to add the config file to the 5.0.8.3 version you use here, it makes literally no difference.

Unfortunately, i'm only seeing two solutions: Update the server to allow and encourage use of a newer client that supports the simple music hack, or revert to an old school T2A version using the exact image off of the original T2A CD and whip out the old school UOX3 emulator instead of RunUO. And both those options are, frankly, pretty silly.

Unfortunately i'm really new to this community - does anyone have a link to the older installer that used the midi files that supposedly worked correctly, but crashed under windows 7? (I think i found a copy on a torrent website, but i couldn't get it to do anything but stare at me like a stupid noob, razor just laughed at it and gave me errors when i tried to run its client.) I'd like to good around with a few other client versions and see if there are any easy workarounds.

Anyone else come up with any ideas? Its driving me nuts!

guitarlover

Post by guitarlover »

I am facing the same problem and could not find any solution.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Gumpo, not sure how or what you did but I'm quite sure that our 5.0.8.3 client is capable of using the "new" mp3 music as 1) i had to remove it from our installation in the first place, 2) it's specified to be used in the client itself, and 3) I offered the "new" mp3 music as an addon for anyone who may have wanted it. So I'm pretty sure you were just doing something wrong if it was not working for you :)

Also, the midi music not only crashed on Windows Vista/7 but it also had momentary freezing/lag type issues on Win XP.. but I will upload an archive with the original files later and throw it on the sourceforge site if you and anyone else want to use it.. I'll name it something like Classic Client Music or something like that..

I'm patching up a fresh install of UO right now and will play around with some stuff... I actually just came across an interesting bit of info on a website so I'll see what that gives me for results..

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I think using the new digital music option would be a nicer solution to this whole mess.. BUT.. i can't for the life of me match up the in-game music with the mp3 files that are being used.. they absolutely do not correlate with the in-game sounds.. for example, recalling to occlo and listening to whats playing does not match the occlo mp3 or any other mp3 .. it's F'n strange. (actually there is no occlo mp3 so thats just as strange)

Maybe I'm listening to something wrong... IDK, but I can't match any of the sounds files so I can't even begin to try to accurately modify the config.txt to reflect using the original music in place of the new music....

I could shoot randomly in the dark at what to change but some of it is not so obvious.. changing "16 minocpos,loop" to my minoc mp3 may indeed be accurate even though the sounds do not match up to begin with, but something like the combat music is not so obvious when i cant even find a matching mp3 to go by.

the only one i know for sure to change is the intro music (stones)

also -- none of this will do anything (i dont think) as far as the random playing music is concerned, that will still be an issue just because EA screwed up the client in so many ways.. it will only serve to play the music in a more proper manner than I have devised in my music patch..

if anyone wants to take a stab at matching up the new mp3 music to our music i'd appreciate the help..

i did find two versions of a conversion that people did, id have to try them out individually but a simple copy/paste does not work because files are wrong

Code: Select all

0 stones,loop			0 oldult01,loop
1 stones,loop			1 create1,loop
2 stones,loop			2 dragflit,loop
3 stones,loop			3 oldult02,loop
4 stones,loop			4 oldult03,loop
5 stones,loop			5 oldult04,loop
6 stones,loop			6 oldult05,loop
7 stones,loop			7 oldult06,loop
8 stones			8 stones2
9 town,lop			9 britain1,lop
10 britain,loop			10 britain2
11 bucsden,loop			11 bucsden,loop
12 jhelom,loop			12 jhelom
13 jungle,loop			13 lbcastle
14 linelle,loop			14 linelle
15 magincia,loop			15 magincia,loop
16 minoc,loop			16 minoc,loop
17 occlo,loop			17 ocollo,loop
18 shopping,loop			18 samlethe,loop
19 stones,loop			19 serpents
20 skarabrae,loop			20 scarabrea,loop
21 trinsic,loop			21 trinsic,loop
22 vesper,loop			22 vesper
23 yew,loop			23 wind
24 yew,loop			24 yew,loop
25 dungeon,loop			25 cave01
26 town,loop			26 dungeon9,loop
27 town,loop			27 forest_a,loop
28 plains,loop			28 intown01,loop
29 plains2,loop			29 jungle_a,loop
30 shopping,loop			30 mountain_a,loop
31 forest,loop			31 plains_a,loop
32 sailing,loop			32 sailing
33 mountain,loop			33 swamp_a,loop
34 tavern,loop			34 tavern01
35 tavern2,loop			35 tavern02
36 tavern3,loop			36 tavern03
37 tavern4,loop			37 tavern04,loop
38 combat,loop			38 combat1,loop
39 wind,loop			39 combat2,loop
40 serpents,loop			40 combat3,loop
41 linelle,loop			41 approach,loop
42 death,loop			42 death
43 victory			43 victory
44 combat2			44 btcastle
45 nujelm,loop			45 nujelm
46 samlethe,loop			46 dungeon2,loop
47 cove,loop			47 cove,loop
48 moonglow,loop			48 moonglow,loop
49 town,loop			49 zento,loop
50 dungeon2,loop			50 tokunodungeon,loop
51 forest,loop			51 taiko,loop
52 forest,loop			

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

I'm sorry, everything i tried was in 5.0.8.4, 5.0.8.3 was the midi version, which i could not get to install correctly - at least not the client i found on a torrent site. (Well, it would install, but Razor couldn't seem to patch it properly to connect to anything but OSI.)

But, it seems that config file for the music does absolutely nothing in the 5.0.8.4 client, but in more modern clients it does work properly. (Try connecting to one of the UOGamers servers using whatever build they suggest, and you can copy over the mp3s from your build, edit the config file, and use that music fine.)

I get the feeling that the MIDIs were hard coded into the first client, and when they added the mp3 files originally they just messed it up and didn't code the whole list in correctly, and later added the config file to fix it. I had stopped playing UO on OSI servers in '99 before UO:R came out, so, i dont know how the patches happen, i just remember using MIDI files.

As your client seems to be a special installer, did you actually "hack" the music into the client somehow? Or was it a natural change in that release?

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

nah man you are totally confused about the whole thing.

the new mp3 music (some of it, not all the files were there) was introduced right around patch 5.0.0.0 (i specifically watched this today while patching from a fresh t2a install), so 5083 and 5084 both have it by default and it works for both. the midis work in all versions as well. the mp3 music (if present) takes precedence over the mp3 music, but if/when you delete the digital music folder it resorts back to the midi music.

for my music patch i simply deleted the new mp3 music since this is a T2A shard (era accurate music), and to fix the crashing problem the midis were converted to mp3s and the client modified to use the new mp3 files rather than the midi files, changing the output sound device...

you are pretty much correct in thinking that the midis are hard coded into the client -- since they are. each individual midi file is listed in the client to be used internally. but the mp3 music is also hard coded into the client by way of the config.txt file.. how they actually process that file is another thing completely, but it was there from the very first patch.

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

Dagon wrote:the midis work in all versions as well. the mp3 music (if present) takes precedence over the mp3 music, but if/when you delete the digital music folder it resorts back to the midi music
nope. not in the 5.0.8.4 version that you can download from here. because that was the first thing i tried.

Now if i use any of my other versions, the midi files work fine. (my original T2A CD, or my ML base i've used for other non T2A era shards in the past)

Perhaps i should try installing T2A and patching up instead of using the quick installer your site provides - i'm going to try that now and see if that makes a difference.

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

Gumpo wrote:Perhaps i should try installing T2A and patching up instead of using the quick installer your site provides - i'm going to try that now and see if that makes a difference.
So i just did this. Popped in an original T2A CD, patched up to version 5.0.8.3, and then fired it up. MIDI files were there, sounded awesome, triggered properly, and then it crashed. Hah, just like people were complaining about. So i copied in a digital folder with the mp3's and an edited config file, and everything seems to trigger and loop properly.

I then proceeded to patch up to 5.0.8.4 to see if that broke what i had done, and it seems to still be working fine. So, that brings me to the conclusion that the 5.0.8.4 easy installer up on this site is in fact the source of the problem, though i'm not sure why. There is a fraction of a possibility that there was something that got messed up during the installation on my computer and the installer itself is fine, but as at least one other person mentioned the same problem earlier in this thread, so i doubt its a problem on my end.

All i know for sure is, i finally have the music working properly again on my pc, and that makes me happy!

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

.... you are confusing two or three totally different issues.

i never said using the midi music in our client would work, my last post i specifically said the client was changed to use the converted mp3 music.. and you said prior to that you downloaded some other 5.0.8.3/4 client and the mp3 music didnt work.. the two have nothing to do with each other.. so our installer is not the source of any problem since it works as it's supposed to and has been made to.

you've also lost the point of the whole issue to begin with.. nobody is trying to get the new UOR/ML mp3 music to work like you've now done, we want the original midi music from T2A, and to not crash on Vista/7.. which is what I've done with my changes.

this thread was started because the music is apparently not playing at the right time or whatever.. and that issue has nothing to do with midi/mp3/whatever... that's another EA screw up because even without my changes people all over the internet that i've seen the past couple days have complained about this same issue of music not playing right.

now my last few posts have been at attempt to theorize that using the config.txt and mp3 music from UOR/ML but changing out those mp3s to mp3 conversions of the original midi music (like we have in the client now) may work better than the method i've implemented.. but matching up which t2a music goes where in the config.txt file i'm having difficulty with since the in-game music does not seem to match up with the mp3s themselves..

i'm glad you got it working in whatever way you wanted.. but i don't think what you wanted to do is the same goal as this shard's interest, that's why i offered the UOR/ML music as an optional addon for anyone who wanted it and there's been very few downloads of it.

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

Dagon wrote:.... you are confusing two or three totally different issues.
Nope. I'm not. Although my initial post with faulty information on the versions of clients i was using may have caused the confusion on your end.

I started off with your 5.0.8.4 client, the one currently available from your site. Worked great, except that music files played randomly after triggering once.

(This Part is, ultimately useless, but may have led to the confusion:)
The randomized music threw me off, so i tried to revert back to the midi version to see if that helped. I installed the 5.0.8.3 version for your shard that i found on a torrent site somewhere. because of my two installations, and the updater it used to update from the T2A core cd to 5.0.8.3 auto-detecting installations, it didn't update properly and botched the install, so i decided to try other methods.
(End Useless part)

I copied over the MIDI files from the T2A cd to the 5.0.8.4 client's music directory and deleted the mp3 files. I heard no music. (this should have made the music revert to midi, but it did not.)

I then installed the ML client, and deleted its mp3 files and copied in the T2A MIDIs. I heard music.

I then took the 5.0.8.4 mp3 files you had, and put them into the ML digital music folder, and edited the config file accordingly. the older T2A era mp3s played properly on ML.

I then installed from the T2A cd, and let it manually update to the 5.0.8.3 patch. It only had a few mp3 files, but the MIDIs played correctly, albeit with crashes (which seems to be an issue with newer versions of windows common to this client version). So, i moved the mp3's from your 5.0.8.4 installer into the digital music folder, with config file, and viola, it worked. files play when they should and loop correctly. (and of course no crashes since its mp3 instead of midi.)

Then, to see what would happen, i updated to 5.0.8.4 manually as well. And my music still works fine.

The end result of all this: Classic music works correctly without randomization. (or CTDs.)

While not trying to sound like a complete ass, given the situation, i'm pretty sure the problem lies in your 5.0.8.4 installer somehow... although interestingly enough, so did the solution presenting mp3 files.

Its up to you to decide if you think im batshit or not and look into it any further, but i did want to clarify my situation and describe what i did so maybe someone else in the same situation could have a solution, thats whats so great about forums.

Again, to sum up:

Problem: Using the 5.0.8.4 Installer from UOSecondage.com, music plays randomly after one correctly triggered track.

Solution: Use a fresh install of T2A, patch manually to 5.0.8.3/4, copy music files from the UOSecondage installer, then copy the config.txt file from a ML install and edit its entries to use the same names as the UOSecondage MP3s.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

ok everything you said makes more sense now.. clearer to follow you.

just don't ignore/overlook this since you keep mentioning it: our client is physically modified to not use the midi's.. so no matter what you do our client will not play the midis because that capability has been replaced to use the converted mp3s instead.. (this only serves to resolve the crashing issues).. you would physically have to replace client.exe with an unmodified one in order to play the midis again.

with that said, the method by which the client plays these converted mp3s is exactly the same as the midis, so any issue of the wrong music being played is the client's fault alone.. and the same issue would and does exist with the original midis as well.. our new mp3s do not address this in any way.

i hope that clears up any remaining confusion on the issue..

as far as fixing this issue -- i wondered if using the config.txt and plugging in the our t2a music mp3s would be better (both as a crash fix and now this issue also).. and you're saying it is?

as you noticed patching up a fresh t2a install only gets you a handful of new mp3s.. all the others had to come from ML.. (and similarly the full config.txt with all the files listed).. so if you've managed to plug in the correct t2a music from our client's mp3s into config.txt where they belong to play at the correct times i'd really appreciate if you PM'd me the contents of your config.txt. like i said i was having a hell of a time trying to match up the in-game music to the physical ML mp3 file to see which lines had to be changed in config.txt to use our t2a music in it's place... for example (again) walking around in Britain did not sound like either of the britain ML mp3s unless i was listening to the wrong portion of the mp3. .

i have not tried either of the lists i posted above so i dont know if they are accurate or not

Gumpo

Post by Gumpo »

Dagon wrote:as far as fixing this issue -- i wondered if using the config.txt and plugging in the our t2a music mp3s would be better (both as a crash fix and now this issue also).. and you're saying it is?
basically, yes. lol.

The only strange thing is that directly using the config.txt file didn't work on your 5.0.8.4 client, i needed a fresh client to make it work properly.

I'll PM you with what i've done.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

something i noticed today.... and this is pretty odd..

where's the music!??!

i'm not hearing lord british's castle music, blackthorne's castle music, tavern music, sailing on a boat music, and possibly other stuff as well.. i'm quite certain i remember all of that on OSI.. but a friend told me he's never heard this music while playing on OSI either..

i tried my modified client, an unmodified 5.0.8.3/4 with the midis, and a totally updated 7.x client with the digital music... and none of that music is played even though there are midis or specified music for them in config.txt.. would be nice to try older clients as well but server boots you for below 5.0 clients, but at least i could try and see if it ever worked with any client version and then stopped working after a patch.

(also with the newer 7.x client it does not seem to play any out of town wandering through the woods music.. it just loops the last town's music you were in... that's the only thing i noticed specifically but it just adds to the WTF of the whole issue..)

is this possibly a RunUO issue? something it's missing as far as generating something for the client to know it's supposed to be playing the music in these areas.. and couple possibly this be related to the mixed up music issue as well? runuo does apparently use a file that specifies music for different areas, so perhaps it only has basic areas (towns) and not all the specifics that would be needed for all the proper music.

I'm talking to Derrick about it but just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who might have a clue... also a question for anyone who's played on any other RunUO shards if you've heard any of that music playing when its supposed to (Castles, taverns, sailing, etc)...