If you've had problems with UO settings not saving.. READ!

Dagon

If you've had problems with UO settings not saving.. READ!

Post by Dagon »

I hope this post is not premature but I think the problem is resolved... big thanks to Derrick for finding the solution as he installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit into a virtual machine and tested some stuff out.. I couldn't do it because my CPU does not have virtualization and I'm running 32bit platform.

Unfortunately it is my fault though that this problem exists - - The new installer has a feature included to write out a proper path in the uo.cfg file which is needed for the UO Demo (even though most people aren't going to use it).. and during my testing this problem never occurred so I had no reason to suspect it.

So with all that said, and my apologies, if you're having a problem with your game settings and have installed with the newest client (330MB) then do this...

Go to your Ultima Online installation directory (Program Files, Program Files (x86)) and edit uo.cfg in Notepad or another editor.. at the bottom of the file (or somewhere in the file perhaps) there is an invalid character that looks like an arrow, I can't copy/paste it here as it shows like "".

Delete that invalid character.

Problem solved.

Note that you will probably have to take ownership of uo.cfg and/or UO directory in order to save uo.cfg with the changes.. but once it's saved there should be no more problems.

The installer will have to be recompiled and uploaded without this feature (or bug) in it, and I'll get on that right away.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: If you've had problems with UO settings not saving.. READ!

Post by Hicha »

If you open the file in notepad, it should look like a rectangle; mine was located in front of AcctID at the very top.

@Dagon: I'm glad you figured this out, I was dead sure it was a permissions issue and I had completely exhausted my resources in trying to determine why UO was able to save files but not load them. I was [] close to giving up on Windows 7 and rolling back to XP.

PS you owe me 3 hours of my life.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Thayn

Post by Thayn »

Also note, if uninstalling it does not help:

(For reference, using Windows XP)

Go into the UO folder, and select one file. Right click on it, and go to properties. Down at the bottom, click on "Advanced".

If you see the file you selected has "File is ready for Archiving", this is what you must do.

Close the properties window.
Click on any file, click Ctrl+A to select all the files (So you can apply it to everything easily).
Right Click -> Properties (Make sure Read Only is unchecked)
Advanced -> Uncheck "File is ready for Archiving".
It will ask you if you want to do it for all files and subfolders, or just this one. Do it for all of them.

This solved it for me.

Don't know how the files got marked this way by the installer, but there it is. You also need to do this with the the Razor application files too.

Hope this helps! :D

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

??????

your post has nothing to do with the invalid character in uo.cfg causing a problem of game settings not being saved.

Hearse

Post by Hearse »

I just attempted to do this unsuccessfully. After finding the character and deleting it I was unable to save the uo.cfg file. I received a message claiming that access was denied.

Thayn

Post by Thayn »

Dagon wrote:??????

your post has nothing to do with the invalid character in uo.cfg causing a problem of game settings not being saved.
I had problems with my settings saving after even a clean install, and this solved it for me. My apologies, didn't notice it was only for invalid characters specifically - Thought it was for everyone who "had problems with UO settings not saving".

Disregard then.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Hearse wrote:I just attempted to do this unsuccessfully. After finding the character and deleting it I was unable to save the uo.cfg file. I received a message claiming that access was denied.
Dagon wrote:Note that you will probably have to take ownership of uo.cfg and/or UO directory in order to save uo.cfg with the changes..

Hearse

Post by Hearse »

Dagon wrote:
Hearse wrote:I just attempted to do this unsuccessfully. After finding the character and deleting it I was unable to save the uo.cfg file. I received a message claiming that access was denied.
Dagon wrote:Note that you will probably have to take ownership of uo.cfg and/or UO directory in order to save uo.cfg with the changes..
Yeah I figured that had something to do with it. Not going to tell me how to do it though huh? Alright I'll figure it out for myself then. Good thing I enjoy puzzles.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

well theres a couple ways of doing it, and anyone buying into MS's latest and greatest OS should have to learn how to do things!

but the easiest way is to use this
http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-o ... dows-7.htm
then you can just right click on any file/folder and take ownership of it

Hearse

Post by Hearse »

Thanks for that; and while it did allow me to take ownership of the file, delete that rectangularly shaped character, and then save the file, it unfortunately did not alleviate the issue with saving upon exit.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

that should be the only issue.. optionally you could try removing the CDRomDataPath line but that shouldnt affect anything... the problem was the invalid character, and has fixed everyone else's issues.... not sure what your problem might be now..

Hearse

Post by Hearse »

Alright well thanks for the effort anyway. I suppose I'll try a fresh install in the next couple days and edit the config file again at that point.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

downloading the whole install package again would be a waste of your time, BUT the new installation is fixed so you wont have that problem anymore.. would just be less of a headache

ChuckNorris

Post by ChuckNorris »

dunno why but this worked for me, except for the game window size. It stills open in 640x480 everytime, but it worked for everything else :S

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Ok so it's my bad that the first round of information did not solve the issue completely... I forgot that the default uo.cfg file is used as a template for all characters, and once you log into a character it has it's own uo.cfg... so changing the invalid character out of c:\program files (x86)\ultima online\uo.cfg only works if you have never logged in before.

I installed Win7 x64 this morning to debug and verify the problems, and it turned out I didn't need to because I forgot about this one fact.

SO, if you are still experiencing issues of game options not saving and you've already changed uo.cfg in program files.. you also must change uo.cfg in your Users folder...

after logging into a character my char's uo.cfg looks like this
FilterPassword=
<invalidchar>AcctID=<name>
LastTip=0

so the invalid character must be removed from all existing uo.cfg's in any and all of these paths

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Ultima Online\uo.cfg

(you must take ownership for uo.cfg in the UO directory... right click on uo.cfg, select properties, security tab, edit button, select users, check mark in allow full control... )

and for any character that has one
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Ultima Online\Desktop\<account>\<server>\<character>\uo.cfg

This should put an end to the problems!

Also make sure that you check the Desktop folder under the UO folder because even though on my fresh system UO originally started to use the Users folder, once i made the changes it went back to using Ultima Online\Desktop folder instead so just verify that there are no invalid characters there either.